visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Building My Layout with Sierra West Structures

Comments

• Magnum Opus! Bravo!
  • Thanks for the nice comments guys. Appreciate them very much. When you were here several years ago Terry, a lot of this scenery was not in place.
  • Really looks great- amazing how much progress you can make given more time to work on the layout. Hope I can see it in person some day.
  • Fantastic. Bet you get lots of oohs and ahhs when anyone walks in the room
  • Exceptional. Always a treat to see your work. Since I am never going to have my own layout I cannot tell you how much I love seeing yours!
  • Hey Mike, the snowbirds are coming to Tucson. Are you one of them? Appreciate your comments. Also Brett and Bryan your comments are very welcome also
  • Looking at this excellent layout is making me want to rip mine out and start all over. You sure did a great job on this. Thanks for sharing the pics!!
  • Here are several photos of what is left to do and pointing out the location of the area just completed completed. People ask me when I expect to finish the layout and my answer is probably never.

EmeryJ, this was my first try at scenery and it is a whole lot of different skills. So I had to redo a lot of my work as I went along trying different methods until I did something that I liked. PXL_20201127_220922763
    PXL_20201127_221023162
  • STEVE.
    VERY NICE LOOKS LIKE A GREAT ROOM FOR THE LAYOUT.
  • Thanks Carl, this is part of my garage. When I had the house built, I had the garage built to hold my cars and an experimental airplane I was building at the time. The way the rest of the design of the house came out, there was an extension of the third stall. So the measurements of the garage are 24' x 36' plus the extension so it made a nice space for the layout.
  • That's what I like to see. A garage that cars don't go in to
  • Oh the cars go into, but not this area
  • OK, I needed some skeleton log cars for my logging operation. I scratch built 4 of these cars the past couple of weeks. The are short because the sawmill will only handle 24' logs
    PXL_20211003_230658587
    PXL_20211003_230712144
    PXL_20211003_230542285
    PXL_20211003_230242646
  • STEVE.
    GREAT WORK THEY ARE PERFECT.
  • STEVE.
    GREAT WORK THEY ARE PERFECT.

I agree completely!!!!

Jerry

• Wow, both the log cars and the layout are quite impressive!
  • Those log cars are wonderful!
  • Maybe some day you can post a blog about how you designed and built them! :-)
  • Some really nice log cars. And the back drop is great as well. As a matter of fact, the whole layout looks incredible. Fantastic job !!!
  • Those are nice.
  • STEVE.
    I WANT TO PLACE MY ORDER I WILL TAKE FOUR PLEASE .WAY TO GOOD NOT TO ASK.
  • thanks everybody for your words of encouragement. Say Carl, the cars are on back order and I have no idea what the delivery date is.
  • I THINK I HAVE HEARD THAT BEFORE. !!!!!!!!! HA
  • When I was doing the scenery on my layout, I used a Noch static grass applicator for applying the static grass. It dumped the static grass over everything when I was trying to do small area, and the grass didn't stand up very well.

So I saw something like I am about to show on the internet and made my own static grass applicator.

PXL_20210620_220222585

I bought the grass king negative ion generator from Amazon. It puts out 15kv and the other parts from a local electronics supply store. I built it so that it could run on a 9v battery, or with a long chord and a AC/DC adapter with an output of 12volts.

PXL_20210622_215702267

PXL_20210622_220714028

I purchased an artist spatula from an art supply store and wired it as shown in the picture below so I can plug it into the negative ion generator.

PXL_20210622_220605655

I also wired a small strainer as shown below.

PXL_20210622_220410453

When using the spatula, I first apply the static grass to small areas with my fingers as shown.

PXL_20210622_222320430.MP

Then I run the spatula across the static grass I just spread, and it stands up very well.

PXL_20210622_222410029.MP

I am very happy the way the static grass turned out on my layout with this system. If you want to highlight your base color of grass with another color of grass, you can easily do it with this method. When I have applied grass with the strainer, sometimes I go over the grass with the spatula to get more of the grass to stand up
  • The stuff you can pick up on this Forum is mind-boggling!
  • Great work so far on the layout Steve! The static grass looks great!
  • Thanks Steve, since there was a big deal on the site awhile back about static grass, I thought that I would let you guys know what I came up with.
  • Steve, that's amazing. I really like the spatula, but seriously doubt I have the electronic skills to pull off. You need to think about selling these things. Phil
  • well done with a nice tutorial.