visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Building My Layout with Sierra West Structures

Comments

• looking wonderful, great trackside shots, really gives a feel for how well you are blending everything together.
  • This is looking great.

Can you add a close up of the log unloader crane?
  • Am anxious to follow your progress especially since I’ve seen your layout in person
    Terry
  • Thanks everyone for your comments. Bryan, the crane is the Jordan Erie crane. So on researching old logging operations, they all had lots of debris that was just left in place that I wanted to capture and the mill sites all seemed to be haphazard with a lot of junk lying around, were very dusty areas and roads going every where.

Everybody talks about doing the ground covers in layers and that is what I have tried to do. And I am not finished yet with that.

I will be installing my Sierra West structures in the coming weeks.

Don't cut yourself short Ed, your work which you finally showed us is very well done.
  • Nice! Will an engine make it over that hump?
  • Thanks Eric and Ed, No problem for a geared locomotive
  • Looking good......sometimes building the structure seems the hardest part....but pulling it all together is no easy task......you are making it happen....
  • Thanks, It takes me a lot of time procrastinating about how to do it.
  • I have a general idea of what I want in each area of the layout, and I only concentrate on one area at a time. And my testosterone is so low at my age, I can only think about trains!
  • The texture and debris ground cover are noticeably well done. I especially noticed the textures in the cut over area. Great work!
  • Thanks Tom. That is one thing that I have learned from the excellent modelers on this site.
  • Here are some pictures of the Bunk House diorama where it will be incorporated in the layout.DSCN5222
    DSCN5220
    DSCN5218
    DSCN5225
  • itd sure be a thrill to see this in person......
  • I like the impressionistic backdrop. Beautiful scenes.
  • Kevin...I’ve had the pleasure of seeing it first hand and it’s awesome, however, I think I’m going to have to make a return trip...socially distanced of course
    Steve is a great host
    Terry
  • That path is a great idea. Love how you did the topography on that whole thing.
  • Come on out Kevin, your welcome any time. The path was Brett's deal and so was the terrain Emeryl. And thanks for the comments
  • Steve,

Very, very nice. It will look good on your layout. Phil
  • What a beautiful scene. I love the placement of the structures, so natural.
  • Phil check my other thread which ha somepi ctueson the laynout

• TomMich said:

The texture and debris ground cover are noticeably well done. I especially noticed the textures in the cut over area. Great work!

to put it another way; it is so well done that i didn't notice it.... :)

• edited September 2021
    I have been working on the scenery for the sawmill area over the past few months and more or less have finished it in this area.

My railroad time frame is the early 1950's. So I developed this small community around the sawmill with bunk houses for the lumberjacks, housing for the supervisors, a small commercial area and various shop and out buildings to support the logging operations.

• Picture didn't come through
  • edited September 2021
    sdrees said:

I have been working on the scenery for the sawmill area over the past few months and more or less have finished it in this area.

My railroad time frame is the early 1950's. So I developed this small community around the sawmill with bunk houses for the lumberjacks, housing for the supervisors, a small commercial area and various shop and out buildings to support the logging operations.

• Beautiful work. Nice placement of structures and scenery.
  • Looking good, Steve….I’m glad I was able to see it in person
    Terry
  • Wow that is amazing work. I must retire some day.

That turntable looks very realistic. In central Missouri I recall seeing an old turntable in real life that was similar. On the KATY line.
  • Very well done! Would be a wonderful RR to visit!!

Jerry