visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Building My Layout with Sierra West Structures

Comments

• Hi there Steve! The placement looks fantastic! I like the way you did the flex track. I am assuming that you cut off some of the ties to give them a random look. The modeling is top notch. The donkey yard is only the second one I have seen built. Cant wait to get started on mine. I want to complement your sister on the background paintings. Those are amazing. Is the sawmill scratchbuilt. Keep the pictures coming this is going to be an amazing layout.

Jim
  • edited May 2018
    So nice seeing all those beautifully done SierraWest kits integrated into your layout. Going to be a killer set-up!
  • Looks fun...can I come over and play?
  • A very nice addition. Great work. Looking forward as you move along with this project.
    Once again some fine modeling.

Jerry
  • Alan, the next time you are in Tucson come on over and anybody else can come if they want. Thanks for all the encouraging comments.
  • Thanks for the invite. Hey, I couldnt find your Awesome Shelby's dio in any of the pictures....are you going to use it?
  • edited May 2018
    The Shelby's dio will be located in a different part of the layout. If you look at one of the pictures of the layout above, it will be opposite the sawmill area to the right if the helix and below the station and towards the front of that area. Right now I am concentrating on the sawmill area and working my way around to the right of the sawmill. I am starting work on the tractor repair shed and some housing for the sawmill area. To the right of this, I have 3 bridges to build that will cross my Grand Canyon. One of the bridges will be a steel arch bridge similar to the Vance Creek Bridge in Washington State and John Allen's Scalp Mountain Bridge.

I want to try and put lights in the Shelby's Marina and take it to the NMRA convention in Salt lake City next year.
  • Just read this thread from the beginning (as well as the thread on the other forum).....very interesting read and informative....almost more interesting to read after the thread is well along the to follow when new....well done buddy
    Terry
  • I just finished the latest addition to the layout, an A-Frame turntable.
    DSCN4400

DSCN4405
  • Awesome looking turn table...is that the Gallows Kit?
  • That looks great. I have always wanted to build one of those.
  • Hi Alan, The turntable is scratch built based on several articles in the March and April Railroad Hobbyist Digital magazine. I use his basic ideas, but made some changes. It is also based on the turntable at El Portal, California which is just outside of Yosemite.

Brownbr, it is not that difficult of a project. The trickiest part for me was cutting out the pit, not having the right tools, but it worked out fine, and with the magazines method for the pivot, it really made it simple.
  • Beautiful work Stephen...so nice seeing all those SWSM kits poised for action...
  • Great work Stephen. I love that you have a big Picture. I get so lost in the details I rarely have any plan. Kudos to you. Looks fantastic
  • Hi Ken

Thanks for the complement, The turntable adds to the SWSM world.
  • Joel, I may have the big picture, but it is going to take a long time to finish it.
  • You guys blow me away with your detailing.....more great ideas for us mere mortals...thanks...
  • Mario. I have seen pictures of your work and it is not to shabby also
  • Thanks mate
  • Steve

Do you have a layout diagram? I could stare at these photos for hours, but when I am done, I am still confused on where it all goes.

Pete
  • Petet,

Did you look at page 1?
  • I did. Not very "space" oriented.
  • edited February 2019
    Steve's Plan 6H Rearrange Yard Area1

Does this help
  • Yes! Thank you Steve!
  • What a project ! I will gladly follow..
  • Looks amazing. Would love to have the space for something like that. Looking forward to progress shots.
  • Steve,

Great looking turntable to compliment the existing structures and them.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Robert, Ed, and Dave for stopping by
  • The structures and placement look great! Can't wait to see how you blend it all together.
  • Thanks Tom, I can't wait either. I have completed the logging camp essentials kit which will also be used in this area. I have to get the backdrop painted and then I can start the scenery and final placement of all the structures.