visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 311 O scale O'Neills

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Bryan, its coming together beautifuly, so much excellent modeling its hard to pick something to comment on.... the structure as noted before is superb, the base layers (you said you were going to add more) of scenery, dirt, landscaping are already better than most other finished models, and just wow on the details you've already done.... quite possibly your best work so far, and you've already done some incredible stuff.

When someone posts a pic like this below..... and then says... "now its time to add the rest of the details".... you know it can only be a SierraWest kit... !!!

bryandetails

Looking forward to seeing more of this great build.

Karl.A
  • You are right about that Karl. So many details...and they are all so fantastic. And thanks. I have always tried to get better with each model. Building on personal experience and by learning from the exceptional modelers on this site.

As I think about what remains, the details are actually not the biggest task left. I need to build the corrugated shack, make the roof for the welding shop, and scratchbuild a steam operated crane. Not small tasks.

I test fitted the frame today. There are a couple of spots that need to be touched up on the ground. Like the corner I knocked off when I dropped the base! And the back edge where I got in a hurry with my cut. I made a nameplate that I thought would look nice, but it draws my eyes away from the model.IMG_0123
    IMG_0124
    IMG_0125
    IMG_0126
  • Note the star pattern on the front of the frame...the speaker will be on the other side.
  • edited October 2018
    I'll just comment on the name plate for now...

Yes I agree with you, it draws your eyes away from the model.

I think this is because the model is so beautifully subdued, natural, weathered... and then you have a bright sign that screams "LOOK AT ME"

One option would be to weather and dull down the sign to be more fitting with the diorama, take it down a level or two darker than the structure so that the structure draws your eye first, and then, then you notice the sign.

Give it the never failing 'squint test' …. when it passes that, you know you have it right.

I like the idea of the sign, but it should be a viewing afterthought, something noticed after the eyes have been drawn into the structure/diorama.

Just my opinion.

Karl.A
  • Also test fitted the dust coverIMG_0127
  • Excellent work Bryan and such wonderful attention to all the appointments...sound, lights, frame, cover...treating a SWSM kit as it deserves!
  • Awesome! Can you build me a case too!?!
  • Fantastic work and the presentation brings it up a notch.
  • Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Ken you are right, this kit needs to be treated to a top notch presentation.

My test fitting revealed a problem that I did not anticipate. I ran some stripwood around the frame to hold the acrylic cover in place (seen in first pic)...certainly don't want that to get knocked into the diorama. It sounded like a good idea and it actually works very well. The problem is that the diorama now sits lower than the frame. That doesn't look good...see pics 2 and 3. I have a possible solution that I am going to try. I ordered some clear acrylic square tubes. I'm thinking about popping off the stripwood, sand, repaint, and install the clear tubes. This will give the illusion that the diorama is the same height as the frame.

IMG_0128
    IMG_0129
    IMG_0130
  • edited October 2018
    Bryan, everything we do is all about 'illusion', hopefully this second option on the case will work out for you. Please keep us informed.

Karl A

Edit: I know you're not finished yet, so this comment may be mute for you, but also it maybe helpful to others....

That last pic could really do with some browner tufts of dead grass, a tall stalk of a weed or two, a little variation in all of the height, texture, and colour.
    I know, I know, your gonna get to that later, but it's a good point to make now at this first stage so that the difference will be noted later.

• What a wonderful diorama Bryan. Can't wait to see it finished. Looks so nice in a display case!
  • Excellent work on all fronts. With the acrylic cover, it almost becomes a museum piece !!
    Well done Bryan.
  • Karl, you are getting ahead of me...sending in the landscape crew is on my punch list.

Thanks Brett and Robert. I feel that this kit could easily become a museum piece.

I swapped out the trim that holds the acrylic case in place. I went with a 3/16" clear acrylic trim all the way around. It is the same height as the wood piece and I really notice the difference in person. The pictures need a little imagination. I chose this size over 1/8" for the shear holding power of the bigger trim. While sitting on a shelf it doesn't matter what size, but when moving I envisioned the cover getting bumped and sliding into whatever was close to the edge...not a pleasant thought.

First pic is a worm's eye view of the new trim. Almost invisible and it makes the ground look higher in the frame. 2nd pic of same area is a wider shot to give a feel for how the trim looks without the cover. And last pic has cover installed, which is now covered with fingerprints from being test fitted many times.

Overall a success and I am ready to protect the surface and permenantly install the frame. I could wait until later, but having the frame attached allows me to secure the underneath wiring and it makes me think about how close is too close to the edge for details...I had to remove 1/2 a rail tie to make the cover sit flat because it came right up to the edge.IMG_0584
    IMG_0585
    IMG_0586
  • Stunning, Bryan. Really a true work of art.

George
  • Thanks George.

I'm tinkering with a crane setup. I have in mind a mashed together steam crane that looks like something that would have been built on spot. I have the beginnings here on a 16' flatbed frame. I'm using a single spool hoist that has been mated with a 3 spool crane. Notice that the original spool has been removed with the bolts remaining.

IMG_0138
    IMG_0141
  • I'm enjoying following along...well done
    Terry
  • edited October 2018
    enjoy seeing your thoughts here Bryan. That set-up is looking good and nice to view it at this stage.
  • Bryan, it just keeps getting better. I think the best part of building a SW kit is the stage you are currently in. It's just plain fun to come up with your own variations of how to finish the kit. Phil
  • Here we have crane version 2. The first one was bothering me so I made something with a more open feel.IMG_0148
    IMG_0149
    IMG_0150
  • Bryan,

Super interesting project with plenty of detail. Great idea to bring some additional life into the diorama and make it appear as a functioning profitable business. I also like your using what appears to be a narrow gauge flat car as the platform for the steam boiler and crane. Overall a well designed and thought out project.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Dave. Yes, flat #13 was retired from the St Mary Lumber Co which just happens to be close to O'Neills.

Its a scratched frame just to hold the crane. It will be on a rotating (not really) footer. The crew/boiler cover will be angle iron fitted into the frame pockets.

On to painting and weathering boiler and crane.
  • What a great little detail.
  • Thanks Joel. I was running into the same dilema with the first crane that you were having with the trucks...too bulky and hiding too many details. Open frame looks much better.

I thought I should finish up underneath the dio before I added more on top. All light and sound has been wired. I'll go back and try to make the wiring less of a mess but I used painter tape to secure it out of the way while working. Best of all, everything works!!!IMG_0156
  • we hope you'll treat us with a video of all of the effects at work.
  • Very cool Bryan...way above my pay grade!
  • Thanks Ken. I'll ask for a raise.

Kevin, I put together a shaky and grainy video just for you. I'll try to do something better once everything is completed. The dark spot up front should be lit by the light that will be on the crane...yet to be installed.

Attached is a photo of the installed push-button switches.

IMG_0161
  • Bryan,

Very impressive. You have taken us to a new level of modeling that is beyond static and into the realm of motion and sensory realism. Way to go!

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Beautiful effects.
  • Outstanding work Bryan. Lighting effects are wonderful.