visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 311 O scale O'Neills

Comments

• I like it as well. The lighting really sets it off. Phil
  • It's ALIVE !!!!
  • Thanks fellas. Much appreciated.

Dave, don't get me thinking about adding motion!
  • very, very cool. thanks for the vid
  • Thanks Kevin and Ed.

I have roughed out a frame to cover the crane using plastruct. I plan on covering it with a corrugated roof. I think I'm going to put this part of the build on hold for a bit while I think about this frame. There are some things I like and some things I want to re-do. I had fun with the shelf to hold the fuel barrells and the grafitti...no it is not freehand.

I believe the next step on the diorama will be to build the corrugated shack and then bring in the landscapers. After that I will return to the crane.
    IMG_0162
    IMG_0163
    IMG_0164
    IMG_0165
    IMG_0166
    IMG_0167
  • What next I think that you have done it all,Great job. ...........Carl.............
  • It's a sunny day today so I took a couple shots outside. I mounted the crane-minus roof- and placed the corrugated shack. On to the back of the diorama and start placing the smaller details and filling in the empty spaces.

IMG_0598
    IMG_0600
    IMG_0604
    IMG_0607
    IMG_0602
    IMG_0608
  • Excellent work Bryan!...so nicely done and I love how you made it your own with the additional details...the walls on that corrugated shed turned out masterfully. The crane detail is great...love it...
  • Amazing creativity as always, Bryan. Love the graffiti on the back of the crane as well as your selection of signs on the shack.
    If possible could you share more photos of the corrugated shack (each elevation), especially the barbed wire fence at the rear?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Ken.

Dave, my first thoughts on the corrugated was to use etchant and get a rusted through edge for the bottom to let the wall studs show through. I decided against this and opted for the finish seen here. I spray painted light gray to start. Then added a 2-tone rust paint job applied with a sponge. Apply chipping medium then paint to match the paint scheme of the main building. Chip away some of the paint to see the paint underneath then add a rust texture along the bottom edge and a rusty wash to each panel. Finish can be see in the close up.

The barbed wire is a photo etched 1:48 wire. I added a very light panel on the back of the shack to see it better. I also added a single post with some cut wire to give the impression that the fence used to go further. I attached wire to the posts by 1) wrapping a .015 wire around the post. 2) using .015 wire to make a U shaped nail and drive it into the post. 3) wrap the wire around the post. Makes for an interesting piece of fence.

I put 2 "no smoking" signs on the front of the shack. I'm thinking about putting a guy smoking a cigarette in between the 2 signs.
    IMG_0179
    IMG_0180
    IMG_0181
    IMG_0182
    IMG_0183
    IMG_0184
    IMG_0186
    IMG_0187
  • Bryan,

Thanks for the all the additional photos and explanations about how you aged the corrugated siding and created the barbed wire fence behind the shed. That is quite the little vignette anchoring that corner you have created by using a small shed and wire fence. It's all in the details. Masterfully done!

Later, Dave s. Tucson, AZ
  • Wow, that concrete pad with the exposed re-bar looks really, really good as does the barbed wire...geesh, what nice details you can get in O Scale...sigh...
  • Thanks Dave. I've been working on this corner and the back boiler area all weekend. Feel like I finally made some progress.

Thanks Ken. I can only imagine what you could do in O scale.

Here is the final piece of non-kit equipment...a piece of rolling stock. I'm still in the process of weathering and trying out different loads but this is close to what I imagine the version looking like. The balance is getting it close enough into the loading dock without blocking too much detail on the dock. All the while making the load look interesting.

IMG_0188
    IMG_0190
    IMG_0192
    IMG_0193
  • Awesome job on your build. Like all the extras including that cool rail car.

Alan
  • Bryan. just outstanding in every way. ..........Carl..........
  • That's exactly my opinion aswel. Great work .!
  • Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I'm working on another corner fence on the other side of the dio from the barbed wire fence. I'm trying a different material and would be interested in feedback on whether this look works for this corner.

First pic is the fence I was trying to make. Split_Rail_Fences
    IMG_0208
    IMG_0209
    IMG_0210
    IMG_0211
  • Uhh...exactly like the picture!..I mean shrink it pick it up out of the field a plunk it down on your diorama, that's some fine work .
  • Great idea and work
  • bryan: the fence itself looks excellent; just like the original, but i'm not sure that it fits with the diorama. it seems [i hate to say this] a little silly on o'neill's. i think it would look more at home with the woodcutter's shack.
  • Thanks guys. The fence turned out just like I had hoped. But after looking at it for a couple days I have to agree with Kevin...it just looks out of place here. I'm going to mock up a barbed wire fence which I think will look better.

FYI: if anyone wants to construct one of these the materials are probably in your backyard. All wood came from a mounding juniper (juniperus procumbens nana). They tend to die out undneath as new growth adds onto the shrub. Lift up live branches and cut off a couple of the dead branches underneath. Some of the tips will have started to loose their bark. These are the ones you look for. The posts are scale 6" and the cross members are scale 4".
  • I think this would be an interesting part of a fence. I like the 2 different posts and 2 different wires being used.

wood-fence-post-pile-fence-weathered-wallpaper-preview
  • Bryan,

That is a very interesting looking fence. I'm thinking the wire that is not barbed might carry a "slight deterrent" charge of 110 volts. I don't think to many people or critters would dare try to come through that barrier.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited November 2018
    The shop roof is installed. I went with purlins directly on the rafters and elimiated some of the overhang. A few more inhabitants have arrived. Can't really call them workers because of all the standing around.

IMG_0217
    IMG_0213
    IMG_0218
    IMG_0221
  • edited November 2018
    Bryan,

I think those workers just wanted to be cooperative and stood still to pose for you. Especially the fellow in this photo (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/966/06VQ0DCRERLJ.jpg)

who took his welding mask off just for your photo, not to mention posterity

All jest aside, these photos are great and really highlight the detail you have included in your build.

A quick question. Can you explain the detail on the roof where the shake shingles are missing?
    (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/887/W977I9DH5VN3.jpg)
    Are those sticks nailed in place to hold down the tar paper until a repair can be made?

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Wow, beautiful photos. Great modelling. Post more please.
  • Thanks Joel and Dave.

Dave, that is a piece of rusted corrugated that will act as flashing for the stovepipe. The shingles are underneath, I just slid this piece up under a row of shingles.
  • Things are rapidly getting down to just the finer details. I took an overhead shot to get a feel for what areas might need some work. I noted 5 areas plus the roads that will be my main focus for a while.
    1 & 2, general clutter
    3, re-do fence and add fenceline weeds/small tree
    4, general clutter from worker/welder
    5, oil drums for pickup

Filling in these 5 areas will make the pathway more defined.

Roads need to be better defined and made to look less like surrounding ground. Drawing them out like this makes me notice a 6th area to work on...bottom right where the road tracks diverge should be vegitated.

Joel, I'll try to get it outside this weekend to take some more photos in natural light.IMG_0225
  • Bryan,

Thanks for that explanation regarding the corrugated flashing. I had cataract surgery a while ago and now I have to go back and get the laser treatment to defog things again. Enlarging the photo on my computer along with your explanation really helped understand better what you were doing there. It appears that the piece of corrugated flashing is about 2' wide(?).

Interesting analysis of how you approach the placement of the clutter by defining your traffic areas first. That is a very logical and easy to understand method. It will be most interesting to see your progression from this point ahead. You are quite the skilled, patient and effective teacher/tutor. That is coming from a 35 year veteran of a classroom who followed the principles of see it, say it, do it to try to include all types of learners.

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Superb my friend! Your pallets, particularly the color, look amazing. That shot of the shop roof is great and I love the detail and color you achieved on the "metal" ridge cap and the coloring of the shakes...

I'm with Dave, love how you are going about the assesment of your overall diorama and how you are sharing it here. Scene composition is down solid...well done.