visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shelby's Marine Service

Comments

• Impressive. You should be very proud of this project.

How do you think a couple of signs would look on the white building? There are a couple of walls that could support a splash of color.
  • Steve, tremendous work!!! I believe it's a winner. Enjoy the convention. Phil
  • It might be to hard to add a sign properly to the building now brownbr. thanks Phil
  • This is amazing! Congratulations on an amazing build! So many elements that flow together perfectly. I hope to see more of your builds in the future.
    Jim
  • Ed, you didn't see the cat? It is there. After this Jim, I am going to return to working on the railroad for a while. I have 50 switch machines to install. Thanks!
  • Wonderful build Stephen! I gave it a once over and will be going back picture by picture...detail by detail...great job...more later
  • Here are some more pictures. It is hard to see the cat Ed, it is on the couch next to that guy sitting on it. And there are also lots of seagulls. There are also fish on the bait and tackle pier at the cleaning station and the guy who is bragging about the big one he caught.

DSCN4017

DSCN4018

DSCN4021

DSCN4023

DSCN4024

DSCN4028
  • edited August 2017
    2nd to the last photo is my favorite. What a classic looking building...just out of curiosity, are those 2 windows on the second floor suppose to be different styles?
  • I looked at that too Alan, then saw one window is half open giving a six pane appearance.
    Definitly a great shot of a great structure.

Karl.A
  • Lol...you are correct Karl...
  • Great work. Really a lovely model.
  • edited August 2017
    IMG_0830

Here is Steve's Diorama at the NGC. It looks spectular in person. The White / Blue / Red combination of colors is catching everyone's eyes.

!Well done!
    Alan
  • Steve....I just finished reading thru your build of this kit....dang, what a great job....Brett just had this available as a pre-owned kit and I let it get away....seeing your build makes me want to Kick myself for not snapping it up...once again, great job and I enjoyed reading your build progress
    Terry
  • Thanks Terry, the kit shows up every once in a while on the after market. Try FSM.com
  • OK, let there be light. I am kicking myself in the butt for not doing this when it was under construction. And when I completed the build, I could not see all the remarkable details inside the boat shop.

I just completed adding lighting afterwards , it worked out very well without any major damage to the existing build.

DSCN4699

I took some 3/32" x 1/4" strip wood and cut a slot in it where I place all the wires and so the top of the strip wood would be flush.

DSCN4703

DSCN4700

I wired the LED's in parallel and added a current regulator diode to the circuit. Some people will tell you that you should not wire LED's in parallel. YOu can find the pro's and con's on the internet. It works for me.

DSCN4701

The LED fixtures were purchased from Bill's Decals. The come all assembled with the leeds soldered to the LED and with the light shade. He used a stranded wire for the leeds instead of solid wire.

DSCN4708

I then covered the top of the strip wood with 3M double coated adhesive transfer tape.

DSCN4710

I was able to install the assembly in the ceiling of the boat shop with my fat fingers and not doing any major damage to the model. there are just a few minor repairs.

DSCN4716

Now you can see the magnificent details inside the structure.

DSCN4721
  • What a great effect. Really get to appreciate the incredible interior.
  • Steve,

What a great addition to the SWSM Shelby's Marine Service boat house structure and diorama. Nice way to make the wiring inside the channel on the ceiling invisible. How did you conceal the wire down to the base of the structure? Or did you even attempt to? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, the wires were strategically placed so you could not see them.
  • wow! great effect.
  • Excellent results. Well worth the extra effort.
  • I'm so proud of you Steve...your wiring skills have come a long way. Looks Fantastic!

Alan

• Steve. Now you have me thinking that I should try it on mine, Great Job. ......Carl..........
  • Now you can see all those wonderful details hidden inside Brett. Alan, they have come a long way since Denver, because I didn't have any wiring skills. So if I can do it, anybody can do it. And thanks Carl, Brownbr and Joel, and you to Dave.
  • edited March 2019
    The name of the company for the lighting fixtures is Dave's Decals
  • Fantastic! Lights make such a difference.
  • edited March 2019
    Steve....you’re always so humble about your modeling and now you’re electrical endeavors....well done, buddy
    Dave also has some pretty nice decals
    Terry
  • The lights are fantastic. All those nice details can now be seen!. I really like the bridge in the background too. What other treats do you have we cant see for your layout? Great modeling. Sometime try making some gooseneck lamps. They add a lot to models above doors ect.

Jim
  • Nice addition Stephen and great seeing this wonderful build again.
  • The lighting really make this model pop! What a great idea, well worth the effort.