visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shelby's Marine Service

Comments

• Here are the latest pictures of the bait and tackle shop.

DSCN3926

DSCN3929

DSCN3930

DSCN3932

DSCN3933

DSCN3934
  • Neat pictures...thanks for sharing!
  • edited July 2017
    Hi Ed,

The Ice machine I made, there is a rack of fishing poles by the counter, I made the benches and the round picnic table.

I have more details to add to my story.

I am glad to share my pictures with everybody.
  • A great scene for sure.
  • Love what you did with the bait and tackle shop!
  • Hey Brett, I guess my over thinking paid off. It is an active and vibrant scene that tells my story. Ed, I enjoy trying to make an active scene with the LP. It adds so much to the diorama. Thanks brownbr.
  • Steve, this build just keeps getting better and better. The LP are a great addition and really brings the diorama to life. I love the ice machine and the coke chest. Phil
  • I can see the thought and planning you put into the details and finish Stephen...Wonderfully done and my eye keeps going to the weathered white painted wood you achieved. So very well done...love it. The sign aging is perfect for the building, not overdone but not new. You pulled off the controversial "LP" issue in fine style...one heck of a job.
  • Thanks Ken, Like I said above, the LP give it life.
  • edited July 2017
    The bait shop looks great Steve, really like the detailing you added and the weathering/colouring is terrific. The 'retail' window is a clever adaption of those double doors and fits perfectly, Nice job.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, I always appreciate you comments.
  • I have completed the overhead crane. I used styrene structural shapes for the steel beams and channel for the carrier.

DSCN3938

DSCN3939
  • edited July 2017
    Great job Steve. I like the way the colour of the rusted 'I' beams contrasts with the main structure, and also that the 'A' frame supports are barewood, but also that those brown tones of the 'A' frame follow down to the details beneath them, it creates a wonderful 'flow'.

Karl.A
  • edited July 2017
    Suggestion : -
    add some of that rust colour under where the 'I' beams are sitting on the cross member (and 'A' frame), it will tie them all together more and make it look like they have been sitting there for quite some time. That rust bleed will give it age and realism.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl for you commentary. I will rust color to the wood beam that supports the I beams.
  • Subtle streaks ! But it was just a suggestion, it looks outstanding as it is.
  • The crane looks right at home. Great execution.
  • I am getting closer to pouring the water. I have been working on some of the landscape for the diorama and just about finished. I made the tree from sage brush as the armatures, polyfiber and course turf. The grass that you see is the static grass. The boom truck was kit bashed from a Sylvan kit.

DSCN3945

DSCN3948

DSCN3949

DSCN3950

DSCN3951

DSCN3953
  • The low angle shots looking between the structures sure look like the real thing.
  • Outstanding work. It does look very real. I really like your tree. I need to get some sage brush. Phil
  • Oh my that is wonderful. That last pic is a real stunner.

• Hey Steve,
    This is absolutely stunning. There is so much to say about the scenery, the buildings the boat and the details. The pictures showing more of the the back drop your sister is painting adds to the overall feel of the build. What an amazing backdrop. Simply fantastic! Your layout is going to be a masterpiece.
    Jim
  • Love that last shot Stephen!...the whole thing is "gelling" together wonderfully. Really nice job...lovin that white siding as I said before.
  • From a guy who likes landscaping, that area around your big tree is well done.

Thanks for sharing...
    Alan
  • Thanks everybody for the nice comments. It finally is coming together. Now to pour the water.
  • edited August 2017
    Here are the semi final photo's of my version of Shelby's Marine Service.

For the water, I painted the gator board base in various blue green tones at the beginning of the project. Once almost everything was complete I then built a dam around the front edge of the diorama using first masking tape, then strips of Strathmore board which I glued to the edge of the gator board. I then brushed on a thin coat of Evirotex to seal the dam useing Envirotex Lite and I also caulked some areas where it looked like leaks may occur. I poured it in 3 different layers about 1/8" thick. I then used a brush to stipple the Mod Podge on to add the texture to the Envirotex. As a final coat, I brushed on a water base varnish.

All comments are appreciated. If something doesn't look right or could be improved, please let me know.

DSCN3991

DSCN3992

DSCN3995

DSCN3996

DSCN3997

DSCN3998

DSCN4001

DSCN4002

DSCN4003

DSCN4005

DSCN4007

DSCN4009

DSCN4010

DSCN4012

DSCN4015

DSCN4016
  • edited August 2017
    sdrees said:

All comments are appreciated. If something doesn't look right or could be improved, please let me know.

After my first quick look through the pictures, and scrolling back and forth looking at them my major complaint would be that...
    I cant study and enjoy this work up close and in person.... such a great job.....
    I'm going back to scroll and stare for a while longer.

Karl.A

• Outstanding job!
  • Karl, If you come to the Narrow Gauge convention in Denver, You will be able to look at it very up close. Thanks Brett, and Ed for you nice comments.
  • edited August 2017
    Fantastic work...cant wait to see it on person in a few weeks. Can you give me a close up shot of the Couch Casting?

Alan