visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shelby's Marine Service

Comments

• I'm really impressed with your craftsmanship Steve. Great work.
    Mark
  • Thanks Ed, brownbr and Mark. Mark, your modeling is not to shabby either.
  • I echo Ed's remark...that whire weather beaten siding looks terrific. Wonderful work.
  • Thanks Ken, It is starting to come together now as one.
  • Wow! This is really looking great, Steve. I apologize if I missed it, but what are you using for the dirt in the most recent pictures? I like the color and the variety of textures works well in your scene. Also, I'm looking at where the rails end with the bent (pic 2 & 4). Love that! It looks like the area was excavated to accommodate the incoming rails, but the smaller loose stones and dirt have been erroded away as water runs down the slope. Well done! Very natural looking.

Just a quick observation from my vantage point--the pyramid of barrels (in picture 4) looks really red as opposed to rusty. Especially when compared to the grouping around the corner of the building (in picture 1). Perhaps the reddish ones are fully weathered yet, but I wanted to point that out.

Looking forward to the next update.
    Bill
  • Thanks Bill. I really appreciate your comments. The dirt is just local dirt screened from a construction site here in Tucson. I screened several different sizes and apply them separately.

After I posted the pictures, I to noticed the red. I will tone it down.

Where do you come up with this stuff Ed.
  • I want a Shelby's soooo bad.. PLEASE someone help get me one!!!
  • Ed,

I am glad that you are following my modeling. I enjoy your useless information. Can you build one of Brett's models drink scotch at the same time?

JP, you just have to be patient. They are out there on EBay and other resellers.
  • Great progress displayed in those pictures, looking so good.
    Bill sure has 'the eye', but better than that he can also help with a great suggestion.

Karl.A

Locoshop in the background looks sweet also, that's a nice pic.
  • Hey Ed, No I agree with you that you need a clear head when you build one of Brett's kits. And that is hard to do when sober when you are 75 years old. Your head is to clear and you forget what you are trying to do.
  • Thanks Karl, I appreciate Bill's suggestions and yours and Ken's and anybody else's, good or bad. That is how you become a better modeler.
  • i'm in awe...
  • edited June 2017
    Hi, Attached are pictures of the main stairway and the old barrels and fence by the stone wall. All comments and suggestions are welcomeDSCN3843
    DSCN3844
    DSCN3850
    DSCN3845
    DSCN3848
  • Looking great Sdrees, cant wait to see this with the roof on, that red tar paper is gonna just bring it home.... do you have something planned that I missed???

The barrel area looks great, but if I may suggest..... it needs some pure black close to the drums and leading away, the scene is right, but the colouration of the dirt seems 'washed out'...
    I see a dirty, oily mess in my head, but, not on the screen.

looking forward to the next update.

Karl.A
  • Love it.
    I keep going back to the photo with the external plumbing. I like the way the angles of the pipes matches then angles on the opening in the wall.
  • Stephen, wonderfully done. I love the deck planking around Shelby's, perfect weathered grey coloring. Contrasts perfectly with the siding. Worth mentioning again how nice the peeling and worn paint on Shelby's looks, I love those first two pics...
  • Well Ed I don't know who Dennis Lehane is, but He must be good.

Karl, the barel area was a dilemma for me. I had the area almost pure black, but it became one of those areas that caught your eye immediately and didn't look right. So then I tried to lighten it up with some pastels.. So maybe I need to out some pure black very close to the barrels only like you suggest. Now Karl, How can I have something planned that you missed. You are going to have to wait and see.

Brownbr, That was luck on the way the angles match on the plumbing with the wall.

Ken thanks again for you encouragement.

• Steve, as you know from my comments to Ken on his build, I like to create some contrast in the scene so the viewer can clearly see the details of the build. Some don't like to do this. As I'm looking at your 1st and 2nd pictures, there is a lot of great building and weathering, but I don't see a lot of contrast. It looks the same. I would suggest darkening up the doors and windows a bit to create this contrast. That being said, once you place your castings, the contrast may be created by them. To show my point, look at picture #4. The roof, the beam over the doorway, the pier, and the castings in the foreground create the contrast I'm looking for. Just food for thought. I admire your modeling. Phil
  • Phil, I appreciate the comment about the contrast that you are talking about. I will keep that in mind when I continue adding the different sub builds and castings that I have yet to add to the project.
  • edited June 2017
    The red roof will bring the contrast all together, as will the contrasting hoist house and the boat... The contrasting addition at the rear of the main building would have also added to this effect.
    When the roof goes on it makes it whole and the effects come together.

Karl.A

I'll wait with anticipation then Steve.
  • I can hardly wait to finish it also, but my wife and I are going to New England next week for 2 weeks. Maybe I will get some ideas when we visit Maine.
  • Steve,
    From my perspective, there is an overall sense of unity and harmony in the structure that seems very realistic with a level of subtle detail that draws you to want to look more. Quite the accomplishment. Bravo!
    Mark
  • Thanks Mark, but you have to give credit to Brett for his design with all the details and scenes he has designed, and I am able to follow through on his instructions and some of my own stories.
  • Attached are photo's of the latest progress before I leave on our trip of the hoist house. this is what I did with the boiler. The winch was originally driven by the steam boiler, but was replaced with an electric powered winch, so I junked it and the piping along side the building.
    DSCN3852

I also added the stack that was used by the coal fired steam boiler.

DSCN3854

I opened up the front of the building and added a winch

DSCN3858
  • Sweet addition Stephen and well done. Love the cable just looped on the ground and detail castings are terrific.
  • Thanks Ken and Ed, Steve or Stephen is fine to me
  • Steve, looking good. Enjoy your trip. Phil
  • That last shot really shows the depth of the layout. Really looks good.
  • Wow...I love the treatment of the red boards. Ties in nicely with the roof and castings.
    Also like that hint of brick floor that I see in the front entrance!!
  • Steve,
    I've been enjoying your build while learning some new techniques and ideas.
    Thanks for posting.
    Later, Dave S. From The Great Sonoran Desert