visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Shelby's Marine Service

Comments

• Since my wife and I are back from our trip to New England, I am back at the bench. Recently I have placed the fishing boat on the diorama and place some of the details around it. Here are some progress photo's of my story.DSCN3892
    DSCN3896
    DSCN3897
    DSCN3899
    DSCN3902
  • Fantastic Stephen. I love the scaffolding, great detail.
  • Wow Steve. Really great craftsmanship, and composition. The painters tell a story all there own. Great work!
  • That third pic is amazing!
  • Very nice.
  • Thanks for the compliments guys. Brett, I wanted to update the diorama to 1954 or so and wanted a different material to add more interest to the project
  • Great job Steve. Phil
  • Looks great Steve. Love the attention to detail.
  • Did you paint the backdrop?
  • Thanks Phil, Joel, and Mike. My sister painted the backdrop. She is coming this Fall to do some more work on it.
  • Teriffic detailing and overall scene construction. The shot showing the rail going down the slope to the water...excellent use of various size aggregate and overall details...great stuff!
  • Thanks Ed and Ken for your comments.
  • The overall feel and tones are working well together; very north-eastern in it's feel. I like that you do not over due the rust and grime. Your environment looks well used not abandoned and derelict. Too many modelers forget that these are businesses that are still in operation and over work things to the point that they can become or feel neglected. You have a great balance. Lots of from beauty from dull colors, just perfect in my opinion. Bravo///
  • Hi JP,

I hope the north -eastern feel fits a western feel also because I am modeling the Northern California or Oregon area.

After spending 2 weeks driving thru New England, Any building that lacked paint or almost no paint had broken windows etc. was abandoned and dilapidated.

Buildings with slight or moderately peeling paint were still in use.
  • edited July 2017
    Since the last posting, I have installed the roofs on the main building, finished the loading dock and added various details to the scene. The tar paper roof was spray painted with box car red, and once installed was weathered with Rembrandt pastels of white, grays and some tans.

Since electrical power was added to the hoist house, I thought that the main building should be upgraded with electrical power also and propane.

Since this a boat repair operation on this side of the diorama, I thought that there should be some marine parts somewhere on the loading dock.

Here are the results.

DSCN3908

DSCN3911

DSCN3912

DSCN3913

DSCN3914

DSCN3915

DSCN3916

DSCN3917

DSCN3918

DSCN3919
  • Looking great. The LP make the scene come alive.

I'm going to pick one nit with you. You have an incredible amount of realistic detail in the structure and scene...I hope you plan on spiking the remaining ties on your trackwork.
  • Great work Steve. I like the red roof. It really looks good. Phil
  • The red roof provides the contrast that is needed on the project and hasn't been seen until now. Thanks Phil,

You mean I have to spike every tie? Oh my! I will do that this morning. thanks brownbr.
  • Hi Ed,

I welcome any comments about my work good or bad. It makes me do better work. Got sidetracked today and didn't get the extra spikes placed, but will.
  • Fantastic Stephen, your attention to deatil on all the mini scenes are terrific. Really coming together nicely.
  • Thanks Ken. I am having fun coming up with all the details and ideas for the mini scenes. More to come.
  • Ok, I am now finishing up the Bait and Tackle shop. Yesterday, I installed the roof and shingles on the building. I also added some signage that bait and tackle was available.

DSCN3920

DSCN3921

DSCN3922

DSCN3923
  • Once again, wonderfully done. Just the right amount of weathering. Signage weathered appropriately, doors and windows look great. Does that people door have "glass" in it??
  • edited July 2017
    Ken notices everything Ed, that's why he's so good.

Great work Steve, the structure looks fantastic, wall weathering, faded paint, aged signs, chipped trim, all blends and fits together so well, everything equally distressed and nothing over done.
    Shingled roof looks superb, just enough variation and relief to show some aging/warpage and interest for the viewer, but not so crazy to have them unrealistically and randomly sticking up all over the place, nice work.

Karl.A
  • Ken, The people door is a screen door. I use silk screen material for the door screen. I used a black sharpie to color it. And Ed, You gibber jabber is welcome and I like the good comments and bad comments as I have said several times before. Karl, I always appreciate your reviews and Ken's. both of you are masters.
  • Ahh...screen is very nice. I love the look of an old screen door or window. A close up of that door would be nice to see? Is there a main door behind the screen door? An inside door partly open behind the screen door would be nifty. oops...I'm getting into that stuff nobody sees again! Just your build is so good I want to fiddle around with those fine details...

I agree with Karl, the roof shakes looks terrific. Curious about the guy wires on the brick chimmney?...that stove pipe looks awefully well supported on its own. Chimmney detailing is wonderful just wondering about the mechanics?

Love the work your doing and I'm no master just enthusiastic!
  • The lack of other buildings not having the guy wires wasn't actually the point so I may not have been very clear, sorry I do ramble on at times. The stove pipe comes up through a brick chimney and then through a mortored cap and doesn't stick up very far. I was thinking there would be no need for guy wires for that well supported small extended stove pipe...if I'm in left field here just let me know and I'll go take my medication!
  • Hey Guys, The main building vent pipe has guy wires. Maybe I should put them on the winch shed also. The reason the guy wires are there is because Brett put them there in his model. I am good at following directions, sometimes.

Ken, here is a close up of the screen door.DSCN3924

I don't think it shows very well in the picture.

And Ken, don't sell yourself short. You are a master.
  • If Brett put it there there was very good reason for it!...looks great. Screen door looks terrific and thanks for taking the time to get a close up shot. Thanks very much Steve for such a kind comment, made my day and got me motivated to get some work done.

Not just worms...BIG worms!...love it.
  • Really coming together so well Stephen!