visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• edited August 2022
    many years ago i shared a farmhouse on a 40 acre farmette with two other guys in burlington wisconsin (home of tony roma for all you cowboy fans), and the house didn't have a furnace. every sunday morning before noon we would get in a pickup truck and drive to a stand of trees in the "back 40" and cut firewood. we'd chop it up to be used the following week. we'd take what we had cut the week before to the house and load it into the kitchen where the wood burner was. (we got the woodburning stove plans from mother earth news and made it ourselves. it worked great. it would heat the entire house including the second floor bedrooms. it just wouldn't heat it quickly. there were some very cold mornings in that place.
    the point im getting at is twofold. 1) the barrel would get so hot you could spit on it and it would immediately evaporate (what do you expect from three drunk hippies). 2) brett captured it perfectly.
  • Great story, Kev….I have always enjoyed hearing folks “back in the day” stories. Thanks for sharing it
    Terry
  • Great stove Karl! The lighting effects are very nice! Kev, did Brett capture the 3 drunk hippies perfectly?
  • I like it.
  • Karl, how did you run and hide the wires for the LEDs? Or, maybe you started a real fire in that stove.
  • Alright, my first example that I am going to share on the forum. I haven't tackled a full on kit yet as I am not there in the order of builds for the layout. But I think I do have a detail here that no one has done yet individually. I have been building a completely scratch built adaptation of an Ambroid O scale Lehigh and Hudson River Flanger Caboose into On30 Narrow gauge for the Narrow Gauge Convention competition here in Tacoma. I knew I was going to put some pegs to hang things from outside the door on the flanger side and when I saw the jacket in the new speeder shed kit, I knew I had to ask if I could get one. I forgot to take a picture of it on its own before I stuck it in there, but here it is. A detail that I hope puts it over the top. Also of note the barrel and Metal Cast jack in the corner also from SWM. I'll share pictures of the entire thing after it goes on the competition table next week.

PXL_20220828_190835663
  • Looks great.
  • Nice! Great scene!
  • edited August 2022
    Very nicely done Ben, it all looks great.
    Hopefully the next pics will have an award sitting next to it.
  • Jim M said:

Karl, how did you run and hide the wires for the LEDs? Or, maybe you started a real fire in that stove.

Jim,
    The wires go up inside the smoke stack so that they cant be seen.

Once the heater gets installed in the structure they will come out of the stack midway and run along the rafters as usual, the stack itself will continue up through the roof.

I did take pictures of the adaptions and steps I took along the way that I can post if anyone wants to see them.

• Nice job Ben, great looking scene!

I had featured the jacket with hat in HO Scale awhile back in my HO/HOn3 Eureka Springs build thread. Such a great 3D detail Brett came up with. I'm including the same detail in my Shelby's build.

Good luck on your competition.

IMG_1805 (1)
  • edited September 2022
    Great scene Ken, I also notice a 3D gas can, a 3D barrel, a hat and probably a couple more of the 3D parts I missed, I'll let you point them out for the viewers.
  • Ben - Good luck on the contest! The details in the caboose really set off what already looks to be a fine build. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this year but the team in Seattle does an amazing job. Enjoy!

Ken - the coloring on that jacket is spot on. Adding details like hats, coats, rags etc. are a great balance to all the metal and wood we use in details. Beautiful scene.

Karl - I did a lighted shop heater once in a black smith shop and really struggled hiding the wires in the scene. I never thought about going up the stack. If you get a spare moment sometime, I would love to see the pictures of how you ran it out the stack and into the rafters.
  • Thanks Karl…yup there are several other 3D details in that scene; steel barrel, screw jack, gas cylinders, wash tub, wood basket…we’ll just about everything! Lol…can’t help myself…
  • Karl, brilliant idea. I'd love to see the mod.
  • Excellent Ben! Good luck the the NGC.
  • Nice work and good luck !!
  • edited September 2022
    Because you all wanted to see it. There is a SWM casting in that picture I swear. Most of what you see was scratch built.
    52324959333_613bc534bf_c
  • Wow Ben that’s really well done!
  • Looking really good....Best of Luck in Tacoma.....wish I could be there....
  • Nice! Great scene!
  • Very nice Ben I saw it in the contest today at the marrow gauge convention
  • edited September 2022
    Worked on some of Brett's new open mason jars this morning.
    Having them mounted on a little 'build plate' makes them super easy to work with.

Sprayed with crystal clear on the outside and then brushed some more on the inside to get the clear glass effect.
    brownbr said:

Somebody's going to try filling up one of those mason jars with nails.

kebmo said:

karl, i think the gauntlet has been dropped....

Dropped and picked up Kev...

mason jar

mason finger
  • Outstanding! Who wouldn't want to add a mason jar filled with nails to their shelf?
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks bro, a word of warning though,
    when putting mason jars full of nails up on the shelf... make sure you don't drop one,
    they make one hell of a mess !!!

Broken jar
  • Amazing Karl!!!
  • There's a scene to be modeled.
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks Tom,
    indeed Bryan, I have it all planned out, and now, thanks to SWSM I have the capability.
  • Karl - I continue to be in awe of your modeling skills. I can't add anything to what has been said, so I will just say, Fabulous! I continue to learn from each and every one of your postings. Thanks for providing the inspiration and the guidance.

Speaking of which, I utilized your ice making guidance and tried adding sea salt to my Pepsi soda machine. It was a good time to work on some of my details. I am spending the holiday weekend at our house in California so the tool shed (in Chicago) is on hold.
    I couldn't get my iPhone to really show the full effect but if I think it came close to what Karl described.

tempImagehywEe6

On another subject, my youngest daughter is visiting this weekend. She is a school teacher and joined me on a trip to Michael's. She needed glitter and we found these small containers for a dollar. I convinced her to transfer the glitter to small plastic bags and I hijacked the containers to help organize the smaller parts in my divided detail parts carrier.

tempImageUZpxLV
    tempImageIzYias

You may be able to find a small container without the glitter but this worked for me and it is has a screw top to keep the parts secure.