visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• The Fordson is a project still in the dev stages...
  • admin said:

The Fordson is a project still in the dev stages...

Nice. Looking forward to day it is out of dev stage. :)

Frank
  • edited October 2022
    I just keep getting blown away....

Brett has a 'Carpenters tool set', at least that's what I'm calling it... ha

It includes a 'T square', a 'Speed/Rafter square', a 'Try square' and a hand saw.

This is the 'Try square' from that set... just amazing...

(yes my fingers are overly weathered... hahaha)
  • I was inspired by Karl's portable air tanks. Thought I'd make a portable air compressor. Here's my HO scale version.

20221031_141100 Resize

20221031_141111 Resize
  • Neat peace Tom.
  • Very Exciting Announcement!

After six months of work, the partial conversion of the legendary O Scale CHB Sawmill Machinery to 3D Printed parts is now complete. About 35% of the total parts will be shipping in 3D Printed resin, the rest will continue in white metal. I am debuting a wonderful high-end tooling resin as well with these new parts. They're not brittle at all, in fact they are more versatile and can withstand a lot more abuse than even their white metal counterparts.

The parts I chose to convert include those that were very difficult to cast and low yield, and more importantly those that were difficult for the modeler to work with. Virtually no clean-up or drilling is now required. This is a massive step forward and makes the machinery so much easier to construct.

All orders shipping, starting this week, will include the new parts. Super excited about this. There will be no price increase and if you have a set on order you need do nothing, you will automatically receive these new 3D Printed parts. Eventually I will once again offer the individual machinery but I have no timeframe for that at present. ALSO, look for HO Scale versions next year!
  • Well that's exciting news on the sawmill machinery
  • Thanks Bryan, truly appreciate the comment and your support.
  • edited November 2022
    Oh boy….. I guess I’ll start camping out at my mailbox….anytime Brett begins a post with “Very Exciting Announcement “ you know we’re in for a good time!!!
    Terry
  • Great news! Always moving the hobby forward. Awesome detail parts in metal and resin, 3D parts, now new high end tooling resin. Thanks for continually improving your products.
  • What a great time to be a modeler...and what a great place to be modeling...SierraWest Scale Models...bring it!
  • cant wait!!!
  • edited November 2022
    Thought this illustrated the tooling resin perfectly:

bendy

This part is the set lever from the carriage and was one of the hardest to cast in white metal out of the entire sawmill machinery set. This new resin is absolutely amazing as you can see. It springs back to shape instantly btw. I provided feedback to this small company manufacturing this tooling resin and was so pleased with the results they came back with. It's a true game changer! Blows away anything currently available.
  • That's some serious utility there!
  • That is very impressive. Very tiny parts not so fragile now. Excellent find on this one!!
  • edited November 2022
    yeah, the problem with so many of the "durable" resins on the market is they don't do a very good job of reproducing fine detail. It's traditionally been a trade-off. Durability but sacrificing resolution. For me, that eliminated the traditional resins as a resource. These folks combined high resolution capabilities with durability. F A N T A S T I C!
  • The future for detail parts looks resilient!
  • edited November 2022
    Fantastic!! Looking forward to seeing this resin used more. How does it paint? Randy
  • TomMich said:

The future for detail parts looks resilient!

I see what you did there!
  • randyp said:

Fantastic!! Looking forward to seeing this resin used more. How does it paint? Randy

Exactly like my traditional hand-poured resin!
  • Unreal.....Period
  • edited November 2022
    Just outstanding,
    not only the fact that the sawmill machinery will be available in 3DP at the same quality as the legendary original line, but that the quality of the resin used will provide such a great building experience for the modeller.

Incredible to see that piece so pliable and durable, and crisply detailed.
    Very exciting times for the modelling community, I cant wait to build the sawmill machinery,
    again, haha

SierraWest, pushing the boundaries further and the possibilities never end.
  • Oh my! That solves a lot of problems.
  • i can't wait. what adhesive with this stuff? [you probably know what this is about....]
  • Amazing. Looking forward to working with this new resin. Very exciting time to be in this hobby.
  • i've had this detail for a couple of months and honestly, i love it so much i was afraid to tackle it. well i tackled it. i'm not finished with it yet. as i have not applied any powders at all so far. the barrel isn't glued into the stand, and at this point the only weathering has been a grime wash and an oil wash, and fuel stain from mig.
    i primed the casting with flat black. let that cure for a day, and then i painted the barrel with craft paint, burnt sienna. let that cure for a day and then i sponged on cadmium yellow. the stand was primed black and painted tarnished steel.. its had grime wash and and oil wash. i'm going to apply the grime wash to the stand 3 or 4 more times to build it up, and once it dry i'll hit with a darkish powder . i don't think rust would be approprate on the stand with all this oil around. i could be wrong about that and could sure use some input.

the barrel was primed black as well. painted acrylic burnt sienna, and then mint green and antique white were sponged on. rust colored powder applied and set with alcohol. after seeing the pics i see i need to remove some powder from the top of barrel.
    suggestions welcome.

oil barrel on stand 1

oil barrel on stand 2

oil barrel on stand 3

oil barrel on stand 4

input please. thanks in advance.....
  • Great work Kevin. I'm with ya as I have, of late, gravitated away from making things real rusty to more of a used, dirty, greasy/oily, and grungy look. You sound like you're your own best critic as you have already mentioned toning down the stand with some washes and powders and fine tuning the vertical barrel. Such a great detail, glad you got busy with it!
  • Looks like youve got everything perfectly under control Kev, the drums and frame are excellently done, and thanks so much for sharing your steps with all of us.

The only thing I can suggest is that you start doing my details for me.

Cant wait to see your next steps that you have mentioned doing, very nicely thought out and executed.
  • Love it!
  • Kevin, maybe a little rust on the back lages away from the oil spout? Is mig a brand of paint that has grime, oil and fuel stain? You also said you sponged on the paint. Did you an actual sponge? No matter what you used for colors or how you applied them you have two great looking details. Randy