visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Truck Repair Build Thread

Comments

• Thanks everyone. Eric if I come across that paint I'll be sure to give it a try. So far so good. Finished the little battery refilling station.rsz_img_4636
    And started work on the big workbench. First off was matching the colour of the strip wood to the resin top. I used the same three colours I used on the the bench top and let it dry. I then repeated until the colouring was pretty close. Took three coats but I'm pretty pleased with the match. I've always had a bit of frustration trying to get the legs perfectly perpendicular so I tried something new. I made a sketch of the legs' position and used a piece of scrap represent the benchtop. I stuck down the legs using double sided tape and then glued the cross pieces on. rsz_img_4625
    After it's dry I carefully peeled it off and made a second copy. Only then did I epoxy the leg unit to the underside of the bench. This way I only worried about keeping the legs right in one direction.
    rsz_img_4627
    Finally some clutter. Not finished yet but it's a start:rsz_img_4659
  • Well succeeded bench !!
  • I spy a soup can.
  • It looks like Campbells to me do you agree Bryan.
  • Not sure why but I try to include one in each build. Kind of a modeling "where's waldo".

Onto the next work center and hopefully back to the walls. This is such a great little casting. great detail Brett! rsz_img_4658
  • Absolutely fantastic work, Joel. All the detailed components on the interior draw the viewer deeper into the scene. Your subtle pops of color (from the box/can labels to the additional pieces in the parts drawers) add to the realism. I also like how you allowed for some shiny elements to sneak in (the watch parts in particular). In my own modeling, I had incorrectly gone out of my way to hide un-weathered or bright metal pieces because I felt they’d stick out like a sore thumb.

However, your pictures show that a little subtle shine here and there not only looks correct, but it adds interest as well.
  • i agree with bill. (i always agree with bill).
    joel, i still think that two drawer cabinet is upside down.
  • The big drawer to the bottom, But who cares the work is outstanding. .......Carl.......
  • agreed.
  • Ahhh yes. I think you guys are correct about the cabinet. Probably an easy fix to flip over. Or, strategically placed loose details (a broom, small cans, dangling coil of rope) could hide the handles.
  • It doesn't bother at all, this is some fine modeling we've got here !!
  • That's a cool casting. Even has sawbanding in some of the boards.
  • Kevin Bill and Carl - the more I look at it I agree with you it looks upside down but it was cast this way and the manual clearly shows it installed this way. Maybe there is a specific reason Brett wanted it in this orientation and you know me I'm loathe to change anything as set out in the manual.
  • fair enough.....
  • Well I'm going to muddy the water here. I think the cabinet is correct. I assume the drawer handles are recessed on the bottom where your fingers would grip them to hold on and pull them out. That's just the way I see it. Wonderful modeling Joel. Really enjoying your build here as I await shipment of my kit.

Geezerbill
  • Well bad time to weigh in on the cabinet as I spent yesterday reworking it. I suppose it works either way but I think aesthetically it works better this way. Also the imperfections in the new top allowed me to show a bit more corrosion.rsz_img_4665
  • i'll sleep better tonight.....
    looks great joel.
  • I think that the cabinet is upside down just think about it Kevin.
  • stop it.
  • It does look better this way.
  • Nice fix on the cabinet Joel!!

Jerry
  • I'll buy in to it either way. Great work Joel.

Geezerbill
  • Thanks again for all the nice comments. I detailed the interior of the front wall. I didn't spend as much time with it as it is unlikely to be too visible on the completed model.
    rsz_img_4666
  • That's the frustrating part. So many nice details only you know are there because they are hidden behind a wall or at an angle where nobody will see them. That is why I try to make the roof removable.
    But again Joel, great work you are delivering here !!
  • Joel, you need to give a tutorial on how you acieve that wonderful old wood, silverish grey, look to your wood castings. Beautiful work as always.
  • Joel I agree with Ken. This is a most wonderful build and I sure would like to see a detailed tutorial on how you achieve that wood color.

Geezerbill

I also, on second longer look, think the cabinet is now correct. Makes sense the smaller drawer would be at the top.
  • ah, the sweet taste of vindication..... heheheheh.
  • Here's the back wall almost done. Just a couple more casting to add.rsz_img_4684
    rsz_img_4685
  • Joel. That is just about as good as it gets great job. .....Carl........
  • I agree! The arrangement of tools is incredible. (Not to take away from any of the other elements, mind you.)