visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• Fantastic, what a journey!
  • Clever use of the blocks. I regularly use blocks to weight roofs but now I have another tool in the arsenal wiring them together.
  • Splendid engineering Kevin. Roof shingles really look good.
  • be still my giddy aunt.....
    the test fit of the final (almost final) (now where did i leave the damn chimneys).
    drum roll please dtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!
    the balcony roof fits. nothing is glued yet cuz i still have a little trimming to do, but it does fit. amen and amen again. holy shit where's the tylenol?

balcony roof test fit

when that's glued in i have alot of little glue ups to do just some stuff that's come loose with all the handling, and get the ridge cap installed. by next weekend norton's fish camp will be open for business.

'cept it won't be on the water for a while.....
  • Yeah, I see a railing loose. It's amazing all the little re-gluing it takes sometimes on large projects. You run out of places you can handle the model without knocking something loose. That said, GREAT JOB!! Very unique. Love how it looks. Just needs to be next to the water. You can truly be proud of this project.....Rick
  • Kevin, this is a momentous occasion!!! Good luck in your repairs. I'm sure you are glad this soon will be over. Phil
  • Kevin, job well done. To be very proud of for sure!!
  • The fat lady is about to sing! Be still my heart.
  • rick,
    yeah there's alot ot tickytack regluing to do, but overall i'm happy.

phil,
    it is kinda momentous for me. i thought i'd never get to this point.

emery,
    yeah, i suppose i am kinda proud of this build.

alco,
    i can hear her practicing scales.....

thanks for looking everyone.
  • Really Nice....a lot of long hours of work really paying off.....Nice...
  • Kevin, your persistence is to be commended! Great job!
  • Perseverance pays.
  • thanks gents. i'm gonna step away from it for a couple of days and then knock it all out in one sitting. then i think i'm gonna finish this depot that i got from ed:
    back and side walls glued
  • Congratulations Kevin! A long road to get here. Really looks great too!
  • thanks tom.
  • Kevin,

Nice job on the build. It has been a long and winding road, but you sure stuck with it and worked through the problems and are going to come up with a great looking scene/

Mike S.
  • I’m sure Kevin would agree that he was “stuck with it”.
  • you could say that.....
  • edited December 2020
    welp, pure procrastination brought me here. the thing holding up everything else is the rear foundation wall. i decided to tackle it this morning, so i mixed up some plaster and gray paint and filled the form with it. i pushed a thin dowel down into the plaster to serve as rebar because this wall is 17 15/16" long. i couldn't make the plaster too soupy because the form was light (styrene) and without it being weighted the plaster would have oozed out the bottom. at any rate, i found out early on that it wasn't gonna work because the plaster started to set up after about 3" of stones.
    rear foundation wall plaster attempt
    after wetting the plaster didn't work i tried brushing glue on the plaster and that was a trainwreck too so i cut a piece of 1/2"x1/2" the right length and primed it a dark gray (turned out i didn't need to), and tried gluing the stones to it. it worked but it lookead real stupid, so i tried something else and i think it's gonna work. i put some spackle in cup, added a glob of charcoal gray acrylic paint and some water to thin in out and stirred the heck out of it. then i used a scupting knife to spread about a 1/32" or so on about an inch of the wood and started placing stones. it was very time consuming, but i think it's gonna work out okay.
    tomorrow morning we're taking a ride down to chicago to deliver some holiday baked goods to family but when we get back i'm gonna start gluing the fish camp to the foundation walls and attach the front walkway/balcony posts and this thing will be complete.

rear foundation wall wood and spackle

i doesn't look as good as the side walls do, but i'll be able to mask most of it with scenery materials. i'm gonna call the foundation walls done.
    what a relief.
  • The end is truly in sight! Rick
  • i went down to the bench and glued the structure to the stone walls. tomorrow i'll turn the building around and finish the front. then the ridge caps and its done!!
  • Looking forward to seeing the final product.
  • what a fantastic journey! so glad you shared it with us. that last 10% is always the toughest... do it bro! so worth it, what an awesome scratchbuild
  • thanks brett. have some long range errands to run today but hoping for some bench time later today/tonight and i hope to polish this beast off today. tomorrow at the latest. i have a couple more buildings to build for this side of the dioarama, but that will come in due time.
  • Kevin, your persistence with this build and your willingness to find solutions to problems that arise are inspiring. You have done a great job on this build. Thank you for sharing your journey.
  • Big step. Those stones will weather up nicely.
  • Legendary. Will go down in history. Parents will tell their children.
  • edited January 2021
    thanks fellas, but i think you've exaggerated my build just a bit... :)

brett, the last 10% is kicking my ass because the list keeps growing. i just realized that i have to build at least 4 2-step stairs. i just finished replacing 48 boards on the walkway after making a significant repair to the walkway framing. all the little tickytack stuff that when you were working on that section you said yourself, "i'll have to remember to fix that when i'm wrapping it up". i'm finding stuff i forgot about a year ago.
    i've also made some cosmetic repairs in the past couple of days. i still have a few of those to do. and there's always the ridge cap.

the first picture is the rear of the structure. it's sitting on a 1/2"x1/2" frame that will sit on the base in its place while i'm daubing sculptamold all over the entire base.
    i just wanted to post a pic that showed the stone foundation. i'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. i still have to hit rear wall with some A/I.
    i also have to take some paint to the "copper" flashing. you can see a white spot at the bottom of the valley.
    i have a propane tank for the back of the building, and some garbage cans. the propane tank will have a pipe coming out it and making a 90 degree turn toward the building and into a predrilled hole. i'm pretty sure i have some other details that i can put back there too.
    on the base 1

the yellow building is a bar mills structure. hinkle's package store. (built in three days start to finish, just a couple hours a night) the next picture will be an overview of that end of the layout. there's a road sloppily drawn in just to give an idea of where the parking lot is going to be. the outhouse will be across the parking lot and there will be a power/telephone pole back there feeding norton's and hinkle's. i'm considering making the road that hinkle's is facing a sloped road. i don't want the whole thing to be one flat level.
    this is my first time doing something like this and i feel i'm a bit out over my skis.

overall view of south end
    i'm taking the beast back to the bench to install the walkway/balcony and do the ridge cap.

i have also ordered a small depot from bar mills, because norton's is 'rail served'.
    i have a half built depot that ed sent me that just too damn big and i can't use it. i still owe ed $100 for it, but if any of you guys might want it for a layout, please let me know. it's a cool looking depot. i think there's a picture of it in this thread [edit: page 50]. i would simply ask for the hundred and a few bones for shipping. please let me know cuz it's taking up valuable space.

• That first picture really showcases what you're doing here Kevin...what a wonderful piece of work...home stretch is upon you.