visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• You might try and wet it and then put it between two pieces of wood and heat in a micro wave for about 30 seconds. I used that to flatten some plywood that I bought on line that came curved. Just something I used.

Mike S.
  • here's what i ende up doing. i tried jose's method. i wet the plywood on the rolled roofing side, put piece of 1/4" stock under the middle and weights on both ends. after about 20 minutes i removed the weights, and the wood turned out wavy. no good. then i wet the same side and put it under a piece of plexiglass with the 9 lb iron on it. i haven't checked it yet this morning, but i have a good feeling about it.......
  • i just checked it, it worked perfectly. i have two meetings tonight, one tomorrow night and one friday night (just kill me now), so i wont be able to get back to the bench until sometime this weekend.
  • As it goes Kevin...great modelers just know how to correct mistakes/issues effectively! Glad to hear things are back on track with...what are we calling it these days??...The Beast! lol.
  • ken,
    it's definitely a beast that's almost gotten the better of me a couple of times.
  • i went to go pick up dinner last night because i've been working my tail off and didn't have time to cook. i was sitting in the drive thru lane when i noticed how wierdly weathered the building was. it actually looked like a novice modeler got a little ham handed with the powders. mind you this is only on one end of the building.
    portillos weathering
  • Kevin, having moved from the Chicago area to southwest MO, I miss those delicious Portillo's beef sandwiches!
  • Kevin,

How I do miss Portillo's beef sandwiches with fries! Living in the Chicago area does have its perks. Closest Portillo's to me here in Tucson is about 100 miles each way to Phoenix.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • liz always has the beef, and i do once in a while. but my favorite is the maxwell street polish. that's what i usually have. nothing on it but yellow mustard and grilled onions. and large fries.
    one of these days i'm gonna try the chocolate cake milk shake.....
  • i'll give it a test drive one of these days and let you know......
  • the balcony structure is now glued to the front wall....
    balcony structure glued to building

i glued a "ceiling" over the balcony and here i'm test fitting the balcony roof. still a long way to go...

balconey roof test fit

it's progress and i'll take it!
    now i can shingle the front roof panel around the balcony roof and get going on that.
  • engine909 said:

Kevin, Notice the new picture thanks to Brett.
    Beautiful June. Sixty five pounds of sweetness.

she looks just like you.....

• i went back down stairs a minute ago and there was this

balconey roof curled

the damn thing was moistened on the papered side and placed under a piece of plexiglass with a 9 lb iron on it over night. it was fine when i took it out, but after about 20 minutes, it turn into a hockey stick.
    i'm kinda pissed....
  • This could even be a SW kit... Very nice Kevin. Well done man !!
  • thanks robert. so i have made a command decision. as it turns out the balcony roof is about a 1/2" too short, so i'm going to cut another one, but i won't roof it until it's been glued in place and the glue has had time to cure. i will remove the rafters on the old roof and use them on the new roof (cuz i got the angles right). i'm gonna try to get that done today so i can mark the front roof panel and start shingling that.
  • Kevin, I admire your resilience. Sometimes it just works out this way. I'm like you, cut another one, put it in place before roofing. A very good decision. Phil
  • You’re turning the corner! Oh, no, that’s something else.
  • I don't apply roofing to my structures until the sub roof is installed. Always and no problems
  • Looks great Kevin...
  • Looks great!
  • thanks ken and tom.
    i'm at the headscratching stage now.....
  • sdrees said:

I don't apply roofing to my structures until the sub roof is installed. Always and no problems

steve,
    i'm too hamhanded to try to shingle a roof panel in situ...
    for the new balcony roof i'm going to attach the rolled roofing with double sided tape. no glue this time....

• Kevin, have you thought of using transfer tape? Phil
  • What kind of double sided tape are you going to use Kevin? I use Scotch transfer tape which is double sided and thin and it works very well. I think it is better than the regular double sided tape.
    Sometimes I have used the white glue sticks that the kids have used in school. I put it on the roofing paper, then apply the roofing paper to the roof. The transfer tape is easier to use.
  • Kevin,

I like to do board by board on my roofs and I generally have had not one issue with warping. I also use Titebond III Waterproof Wood Glue on all my projects. I use this same glue for my furniture projects and it creates an incredibly strong bond. Even in our dry heat desert environment not one kit build or furniture project has shown any joint bonding issues after 12 years.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited November 2020
    i have a few different kinds of double sided tape, or transfer tape as i've heard it called. the one i plan to use is made by scotch and is very thin. my wife and i are hosting a zoom election night party tonight so don't think i'll be getting anything done down there tonight.....
    there's an article in yesterday's washington post by rachel lerman that mentions my wife and our zoom party.
    she's such an internet sensation........
  • just teasin'...
    i'm screwin' off tonight.
  • this has been eating at me for a long time: the veranda end of the structure was visibly lower (in the roof line) than the rest of the building. i tried fixing it a while back by graing and staining and painting up a 1/8" 1/8" strip, cutting it to length and gluing them in. as i was working on the roof a while back i noticed that it was still visibly lower, and i could've taken the 1/8 out and stuck a 1/4" in there (tried it and it looked stupid), but this morning i decided it needed surgery. (one of the most valuable "tools" was realizing you could reactivate glue with water and remove previously glued items) i applied some i/a along the inside and outside of the gables to allow the water to penetrate and i loosened the roof panel from the gable, then i surgically removed the overhead ceiling of the veranda and the gable above it. i did some measurements first, and went ahead and recut a new gable that would carry on the existing roof line. grained, stained and damp brushed 12 scale 1x 6s and sided the gable.
    i'm so glad i decided to do this.
    new veranda gable
  • Glad it worked out.