visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• i've been working on the roof panel, but i ran out of shingles so i'm gonna place an order right now. the area at the bottom of the roof panel where there are no shingles is where the balcony roof will attach. the bottom row of shingles just above that area has a teeny piece of paper painted with aged pewter to look like lead flashing under the shingles so i can "wedge" the rolled roofing on the balcony roof up under it.
    wish me luck with that.....
    ran out of shingles

i can't glue the roof panel in place until a) i finish shingling it and b) i paint norton's on the roof. i made a new stencil for it.....
  • Kevin,

Even without the roof completely shingled this is shaping up to be a competition level model. We know that this has been more than a marathon for you but your endurance, persistence and creativity is about to win a blue ribbon in our books. Take a bow!

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited November 2020
    thanks dave.
    ed, i'd like to think i'm doing my part.....
  • Progressing nicely Kevin. You have been very patient with this build, and have done a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing your progress.
  • thanks tom. posting the build thread helps to keep the motivation flowing. i think while i wait for my shingle order it's time to build the back foundation wall. i've been really dreading it because it's such a long wall. almost 19" and only 1/2" square. i think i've sifted through enough stones to do it, and it ain't gonna do itself, so....
  • ed, i NEVER mastered the guitar. actually, few have.
  • Looking great Kevin.
  • shingles came today! hopefully i'll have the building finished by the time the bears lose another game. then i can work on the scenery....
  • Carry on sir. Looking forward to see your roofing job.
  • engine909 said:

That would be this weekend.

it would indeed....

• update:
    when i bought the foam for the base i got it at home depot. i went there because in the past, they have cut it for me on a large vertical saw. well, they aren't allowed to cut foam with that saw anymore, we had to cut it on the floor with a t square and a razor knife and as a result the edges aren't perfectly flush, so tonight i'm taking it over to a buddy's garage and he's gonna clean up the edges with a table saw. the edges need to be perfectly flush for when i pour the 'water' so i can dam it up and it won't leak. when i get it home we're going to eat dinner (grilled salmon and rissoto) and then i'm going to finish roofing the hotel and start to wrestle with the balcony roof.
  • I'm in for salmon also.
  • [i've always hated creamed corn]
    well, i didn't get the roof done but i did get the shingles stained and the diorama base is flush on all sides now, so i've got that going for me.
    had i known you guys were down for the salmon i would have defrosted more.
    we buy our salmon frozen from costco and it's great. we buy all our meat there too. the night before last we had 3" thick filet mignon (the only steak cut we buy). their meat is outstanding. next up, pot roast.
  • i, on the other hand, am a proud carnivore.
  • shingles are all finished. getting ready to glue the roof panel on the structure (after i spray paint norton's on the roof) and wrestle the balcony roof in place and hopefully glue it down tonight. then the building is completely (except for the rear foundation wall, i've been procrastinating that task) finished and i can focus on the depot you sent (thinking it was an engine house... how much weed do you smoke), and when the depot is done, on to the scenery. :)
  • edited December 2020
    it's a cool structure, but i haven't touched it in quite a while. i was rolling along on it and then got my fishing camp mojo back. i got hung up on the bay window, and the instructions really kinda suck, but i'll get back to it pretty soon after i finish the beast. it's going on the diorama with the camp, and i gotta finish it before i can start on the scenery. speaking of that, i tossed the first diorama base and redid it with a bigger inlet for the camp and a wider river for the boats and maybe an ait or two.
  • edited December 2020
    here's a shot of the building with the roof all shingled up but not yet stenciled. it's on a new diorama base that i took to a buddy's last night to get the edges all squared up, especially the front edge since i'm going to have to attach a 'dam' for the 'water pour. i made the inlet a lot larger and the river itself a little wider.

roof shingled and on new base

i got three pounds of sculptamold yesterday, and i'll probably put the original base of the building back together so that i can start on the scenery around it in order to plant the building. the whole 2'x4' base will covered in sculptamold, including the river and its banks, the riverbed and banks will then get covered with flex paste to make sure it's completely sealed for when the time comes to pour the resin. i have some really cool stuff from AK for muddy areas, and some cool stuff from velejo for the riverbanks. i'm really looking forward to the scenery phase.
  • roof is stenciled. tomorrow i'll tone the letters down and glue the panel to the structure. then i'll wrangle the balcony roof in place and get it glued. that might take a collective good luck from youze guys....
    roof redo stenciled
  • Great progress Kevin. I really like the base. Looks like it is going to be an incredible diorama. Phil
  • Roof turned out really nice. are those Builder in scale shingles? How do you think they compare to making them yourself?
  • “Norton’s” on the roof reminds me of the “See Rock City” rooftop signs when I was a kid...great job Kevin...glad you stuck with it
    Terry
  • thanks phil.
    brownbr said:

Roof turned out really nice. are those Builder in scale shingles? How do you think they compare to making them yourself?

bryan,
    i really like them alot. they are from builders in scale and they are self adhesive real wood shake shingles. hated them at first, but once i started cutting them down to 2.5" they got to be so much easier to install. i'll never use another shingle for scratchbuilding.

terry,
    thanks.

• This is looking really nice Kevin.
  • Kevin,

Can't wait to see the scenery begin in earnest. Got all your fishing boats,and anglers ready to go!

• Coming along nicely Kevin! Lettering on the roof is a neat addition. Looking forward to what you are going to do with the scenery. By the way, where does the privy go?
  • Man that's really looking like something! Nice work.
  • Dave_S said:

Kevin,

Can't wait to see the scenery begin in earnest. Got all your fishing boats,and anglers ready to go!

dave: i have one more fishing boat to build, then the 'fleet' will be prepared. i have two canoes and two rowboats too.

tom: the privy is gonna go out back across the parking lot.
    :
    ken: its getting to the point where i'm afraid to keep moving it. it goes from the workbench to the coffee table, back to work bench ad nauseum. i have considerable amount of re-gluing to do after the balcony roof is finished.
    the roof is glued down now:

FINALLY roof glued

i toned down the stencil and gave the whole thing another shot of silverwood and glued it down. gluing a roof this big is a real pita. to overcome the need for substantial weight, i wired two pair of 3-2-1 blocks together so that their weight could be distributed where needed, at the lower half of the roof panel. after this picture was taken i realized that the roof panel on the right side wasnt touching the gable, so i lowered the 3-2-1 block and stuck 2 mini screwdrivers in two of the holes and balanced a 1" right angle block on the screwdrivers and 3-2-1 block to apply additional weight to the lower roof panel. i stuck some wood glue in the gap and right now it's pretty snug.
    i'm gonna let that set up overnight and then maybe tomorrow while the bears figure out yet another way to lose a game, i'll start on the balcony roof, and then this f&%$^ng thing will be built and finished and waiting to be planted in a diorama.
    this is kind of exciting. i might be finishing this beast tomorrow.....
  • weighty subject

i thought i'd show you guys how i got the weight i needed at the bottom of the roof panel. if you look close at the 3-2-1 block you can see there are two mini screwdrivers stuck in the holes holding up the angle weight. luckily that provided just enough weight to hold the roof panel snug to the gable.

i think i'm gonna have to get 4 or 6 bolts that are the right size to screw into the threaded holes. this idea just opened my eyes to more scenarios where i can use those block to weight things down.
  • Excellent use of gravity. Those blocks are so versatile.
  • Looks pretty amazing Kevin.
    Quite an effort.