visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Curmudgeon (Mike) and the Punk (Dustin) build the Deer Creek Mine

Comments

• Great stuff. Love the coloring on the siding!
  • Welcome back Dustin. This really looks good to me. By saying "various stains", what did you mean? Were they various A&I stains? Thanks. Phil
  • Well done Dustin. The siding treatment is wonderful...color, weathering, subtile nail holes on board ends, etc...I assume you're going to rough up and otherwise degrade and age the wall(s) edge that sits on the ground. Looks a bit crisp and clean right now! Look forward to seeing this build at the EXPO in the spring...right?...Ken
  • Thanks guys. Brett's kits seem to make you focus on the little details. I think thats what makes them so fun.

Phil- I used Brett's method to of chalk staining and the sanding the paint off for the boards at first. Later I went back and re-scribed groves in all the boards.
    - The stains that I used then are from Builders in Scale.
    *Silverwood
    *Deadwood
    *A mix of both together.
    Chuck Doan turned me on to the Silverwood. It is a light stain to start with but you can keep applying it to get darker tones. It is a form of an A&I stain but I'm not sure whats in it. The smell is really strong. It doesn't warp the wood either. Well, as long as you don't saturate it. Either way I just use a small brush to highlight spots and let it wick here and there. It sure makes for random coloring.

Ken-Thank you sir. I haven't done the bottom edges just yet because I wanted to see how it sat on the floor. I started to rough up one bottom edges but didn't finish it yet. I think the one in the pic is just where I straight trimmed the excess off. If my plans go as I would like it will be there. I have a pretty neat dio planned. My own version of "twin mines". If thats going to happen I need to get busy.
  • Dustin, I knew you had this one...thought I'd poke at ya.

Hope you can make it, would be nice to see you AND your work...Ken
  • Really looking good, Dustin. Glad to see you back at it. Your hiatrus was not as long as mine.
    David
  • I have been working on the mine as of late. Actually it is a whole project. I have been consulting with the curmudgeon on a few things. Since I got this kit my plans were for a large dio. Plans are for this to travel to the Expo. Fingers crossed on that. I am about 70% on the Deer creek mine. So I will probably do a post build/completion on the thread. It will be to hard to do everything and the thread. Here is a mock up so far. Think "TwinMInes"..
  • You best get busy Dustin if you're toting that to the EXPO! Look forward to seeing this come together...Ken
  • Hope you plan on blowing all of your vacation days as that's whats its probably going to take to get this bad boy done in time...

• I like a little pressure. If I don't get it done it is ok too.
  • No backing out now Dustin!...you're all in...
    Look forward to seeing and discussing your work at the EXPO...Ken
  • I'm liking what I see so far. Great concept!
  • The dioramic layout looks great, lots going on but not over crowded.

Karl.A
  • I should have a little update this weekend.
  • Which weekend??
  • With a long pause between. I have started to work on the mine again. Just starting to dig into all the castings. I will get some pics up soon.
  • edited June 2020
    I'm sorry...could you please introduce yourself...we would like to officially welcome you to the SWSM forum...however, be advised that I'm telling Brett on you for using someone else's user name! See we had this really nice chap named Dustin who used to post here a long time ago...he was a really good modeler and we all miss his camaraderie, wit, and wisdom...maybe this will get him fired up!...Dude! how the hell are you?
  • Hahaha, it is really me. Just had a lot going on other than modeling these days. A career change sort of, a move, a new child. I have remained in the shadows reading and learning from all of you guys. Life is good and I am glad to be sitting back down at the bench again.
  • I have a few things that I have finished up as of late. Here are a few pics of those. All be it they are not Brett's kits. They will fit in with the diorama I am building.
  • Here is where I am at this point. Lots to do and it is time to get busy.
  • Nice work. The Aspen trunks look great.
  • edited June 2020
    Great to see you back Dustin, and great to read it was good things that have kept you away.
    Looking forward to your progress on this great build, and also your comments on others, both of which have been missed.
  • Welcome back Dustin. I'm finishing my mine, but have been bogged down due to my father-in-law wanting to sell his house. This means we have to clear it and he was a pack rat. Maybe we will finish at the same time. Phil
  • Really nice!