visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Curmudgeon (Mike) and the Punk (Dustin) build the Deer Creek Mine

Comments

• Here it is on all its legs. Man, this thing is so cool looking!! This is a far as I have got for now. I have to stain some more wood for the bent cross members. imageimageimage
  • Very nice work, Dustin. Did it go together as easy as I promised it would?
    Keep plugging away because Mike tends to catch up in a heartbeat!
  • Bill, It goes together like a dream. I am glad that I've had yours to look back at. I would have left the support for leg A short if I hadn't seen your fix. I know Mike is lurking back in the weeds. He always has such great though into his kits. I am looking forward to his version.
  • So on with some updates!

For a small kit there is a lot of staining and graining of wood. I am not complaining. I think it really adds to the overall appearance of Brett's kits. Here is a bundle waiting patiently. I also picked up this great tool at the Expo. It was freebie from a vendor. I will be the first to admit I struggle with wood sizes sometimes. Thank goodness Brett's templates let you double check.imageimage
  • edited April 2015
    I added the cross members while I was waiting for a batch of wood to dry.
  • I like to get everything cut before I start on something.image
    Now it was onto adding the boards for the chutes and the interior.
    imageimageimage
    I really like being able to pick out each board next.
  • Next up was the ore chute side frames. I glued two together before I glued them down. It was easier for me that way. It seemed to align up better.image
  • I used Bill's double sided tape trick to lay out and cut the side walls for the ore chute. It was just to simple this way. I just used a nice straight edge to cut along the template. image
  • Here is all the chute walls attached minus the third board. I see there was some fuzzies that showed up in this pic. I marked a reminder to go back and fix those. Taking picture of your builds really can humble you and help all at the same time.image
  • Don't worry I also went back and stained all the board ends on the sides. Later pictures will show that.
  • The last three spacers get used next. I also test fit the brass wire and made sure the bin gates lined up. The top chute wall board was added too.image
  • The last few pics show progress to date. Front wall is in. Sides are all glued in. The trim is all on around the walls.imageimageimage
    As promised all the board ends were treated.
  • Next up is the bin gates. they have been blacked but not chalked. I have to cut some brass also. They are going to look great on here.image
  • Fantastic Dustin! Man it's fun watching these kits get built!!!
  • Solid work, Dustin! Looking forward to how your gates come out.
  • Thanks Brett. This kit has been so great to build. So much detail in just the first part. Simple but yet complex.
  • Bill, having yours ahead of mine has been a ton of help. I think the gates being all different pieces makes it stand out so much. Only Brett does that.
  • Hi Dustin,
    Fantastic work. This looks like a blast to build.
    Jim
  • That is an amazing structure - great work! Weathering looks spot on
  • Well, the ol' RUNNER has finally surfaced. After Expos, Symposiums, the distractions of life, trips to see the grandchildren, etc. I am back! I see I better have not lost any touch just to stay in the sight of Bill and Dustin. As Butch said to the Sundance Kid "Those guys are really good!) But I can still catch-up...remember I am unencumbered with any J-O-B like those young guys are.

I started with the bents- first tip is that I always make photo-copies of each template to actually work on. That way your original stays clean and intact- since the templates are 11x17 make a copy of each half as it will be easier to work with. Test your copier to make sure it is exactly accurate 1 to 1. Make a copy of one of those thin clear-plastic rulers. You don't want to screw up your original.

I am trying for a gray rather than a reddish-brown stain for by bents and other wood parts. The aged,untreated lumber around here where my taconite and puriat mines are located is a silvery gray for the most part. I believe the color of this lumber depends on several variables- type of tree the wood comes from, area of the country, climate and weather conditions, etc. What opinions (facts?) do you have?

I stained the cut and grained pieces with a short dunk into alcohol and black water-soluble India ink, and then gave them some texture using Rembrandt Grays 704.7 and 704.8. The result is what I was trying for, but the cell phone pics don't do justice to the gray.

• oh yeah..... now we are cruising along. color looks awesome - gonna be so much fun watching you and dustin!
  • Mike, the bents look great. You really nailed the gray. I love how the bents go together in the jig. Such a great way to do them. I need to email you some ideas I had.
  • Well it's about time you joined in Mike.....
    The aged grey timbers look good in the pics, and I'm sure better in person
    based on your comments.
    Looking forward to more of your updates as you play catchup to Justin
    and Bill, I know I am going to be impressed.

Karl.A
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks to Brett, Dustin, and Karl-glad you approve the attempt at gray.

Paul asked about graining, and I have to say over the years I have picked up more tools for distressing and graining wood than the law allows. I have tried all of them with very mixed results. I own about a dozen "scratch" brushes, steel and copper, and even applying heavy pressure as well as light I am still usually disappointed with the results. File cards sometimes are OK, but even a little pressure seems to tear the wood, and like a razor saw blade will leave a "corn row" effect.

A couple of years ago I asked my friend Don Railton how he achieves such a great grained appearance on stripwood, and he told me he uses an X-ACTO knife with a #11 blade exclusively. Don usually wins several firsts at most national model contests, and I consider him to be as good as anybody whose work I have seen. Use it in light strokes, upside down, curve grain around a knothole, etc.,etc,. It may take a little longer, but on one of Brett's kits you treat each board as a separate model.

Speaking of Brett, his design of the styrene jigs and assembly technique for the tipple bents and construction is truly ingenious. Just when you thought you had seen it all! And the presentation you see when you open the kit box makes you think you got your money's worth even before diving into the construction.

Achieving the gray stain for the mine was pretty straight-forward. I simply used A/I, isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol from the drug store. 70% and 91% readily available for less than $2 per pint. Since the idea is to have as little water as possible, I order through my Walgreen's a 99% alcohol in a gallon size. Also available from Amazon. I mix about 1½ teaspoons per pint of Higgins Water Soluble Black Ink. I also stock several brown and sepia tone inks. In addition I have about 20 Rembrandt artist chalks.

I put the A/I in a pan and drop in the stripwood (or wooden ties). I leave some pieces in for a minute or two, removing them with a tweezers and put them on paper towels to dry. Occasionally I blot some or wipe them very lightly with a paper towel. The idea is to vary the color a little from board to board. Toward that end, after they are dry (just minutes) I will add a little texture with a couple of the lighter gray Rembrandts- I think 704.7 and 704.8. Wet the sticks lightly and sprinkle on the chalk, and work in with a soft brush. Don't overdue the texturing or you will obscure all your graining.

I've finished the tipple bents and framing. Those guys better not look back- something's gaining on them!

• Terrific work, Mike! Nice, precise construction all around. And I really like that aged gray color you've got going on. Looking forward to your ore bin!

(Told you he'd come on in a hurry, Dustin!)
  • love this stuff - nothing is better than an aged , heavy timber structure!
  • I think that structure is way more complicated than it looks - no wait - it looks complicated!
  • Beautiful work Mike I expected nothing less. This is going to be great seeing the different directions we all take the kit. I should have an update soon. I've been mulling over my bin gates. I have a look I wanted and it just took awhile to achieve it.

Bill, you were very correct. Now I can just look over both of you guys shoulders.

James, but the fun part is that it's not.
  • I have made some progress myself. I have been working on the bin gates. I wanted them to look used but not to rusted. I feel as if they would also have a faint greasy look just due to how they would have operated. I have a paint that I like a lot. It is called Mr. Metal Color. Dark iron to be specific. This paint is unique in that it is buffable once dried. Sounds weird I know. I used this as the base color. I took a guess that the bins would have been made from iron or steel. The picture shows one that is buffed and one that hasn't been yet. Also the paint goes on really thin so it doesn't cover all of Brett's casting details.image
  • Here are few pics after a little chalk. I dry brushed it also with transparent orange iron oxide. These are the beginning steps. I had to add several layers a little at the time. imageimageimage