visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My first SierraWest model

Comments

• Painted a few detail parts today. No, not theses. The left is a fairly new ax handle and the right is a shovel handle that that is at least fifty years old.
    IMG_0937resized
    I then did a swatch of all my brown and tan paints. and compared then to the two handles. I picked the two circled.
    IMG_0939resized
    I then used those two colors to paint the handles of the tools/
    IMG_0940resized2
    At least I tried to come up with colors that were realistic. Now a little rust and dirt.
  • Pcappy, I will do a little experimenting. I would think a little CA might dull down the shine. But for me one of the things I like about using real glass is it reflects light like real glass.
  • edited January 2022
    Nice work on getting a realistic wood colour, success !!

For the glass to dirty it up, use some tan or grey chalk (powdered).
    Dip a Qtip into the chalk (dry or wet gives different results), then circle the Qtip around on each individual pane.
    This will disperse the chalk into the corners and edges but leave the center fairly/mostly clean.
    It gives a naturally dusty, grimy look,
    dirty in all the right places...
  • Thanks Karl. Pappy I will give Karl's suggestion a try tomorrow to see how it works.
  • Pappy, I gave dry chalk a try today. The first picture shows the chalk on the inside of the window. As another modeler suggested I put it on the inside because rain would wash dust off the outside. The second picture shows the window after I smeried the chalk around. I gave it a lite puff of air to blow off the excess. The third picture shown the window with the light hitting it like sunlight would at noon. In the last picture the light is at more of an angel. As you can see the light still reflects. But it would in real life as the sunlight got to a lower angel. IMG_0945resized
    IMG_0946resized
    IMG_0947resized
    IMG_0948resized
    Real Glass is not for everyone but it just does it for me. Thanks for every ones comments. Randy
  • Randy, fantastic work. Better than I have ever seen.
    Keep up your great work!
  • Randy, the windows look great and so does the wall. Nice job on the knots, saw marks and coloring.
  • Thanks Pappy for your complement. Considering the modeling talent and expertise on this forum I consider that high praise. Jim, thank you for your comment. The knots were made from 1/16 inch square balsa wood, sharpened in an old crank pencil sharpener. I used that instead of tooth picks because the wood is softer and can be sheared off flush with surface of the board. As for the coloring and saw marks I just followed Brett's instructions. Thanks again, Randy
  • Randy, for someone that just started these SW builds...hats off to you bud!
  • This is really good Randy. I love the windows and the walls. Using real glass is a great idea.
  • Working with real glass is not for the faint of heart and admire you for tackling the process and getting very good results.
  • Well done Randy, you're making steady progress and doing a fantastic job!
  • Windows look great Randy, just the way they should. Really nice job. Glad I could help.

Looking forward to these great walls going together.
  • Pappy, Robert, Ken, Brett, and Karl for your words of praise and encouragement. Wood has always been my favorite medium to work with. Now with all the walls finished it is tim e to get back to the castings. Thanks again, Randy
  • You bet Randy...keep up the good work, enjoy following along with your progress.
  • Those walls are GREAT! You did a stellar job on the windows as well!
  • Tom thanks for your nice comment.
    As I said earlier today I was going to work on castings today. Here are some pictures. The first two are of the cabinet under the shed.IMG_0949resized
    IMG_0950resized
    The nest picture shows the top of the long tool box under the windows. I could not resist adding screws to the hinges. IMG_0952resized
    The forth picture is the little metal cabinet between the two windows.IMG_0953resized
    The final picture is start of the shelf on the interior wall. I still have a lot of work to do here. IMG_0957resized
  • Excellent job on the castings, Randy.

Cheers

George
  • That last shot Randy...excellent use of colors but subtile and the weathering on those tanks is just great! Well done.
  • Thank you George and Ken. All the large castings are finished as are the walls. So things are going to slow down as I construct scenes.
  • Excellent job on the castings Randy, the best is scene construction! With the beautiful job you've done on the walls and details this is bound to be a great looking diorama.
  • Continued great work on the castings Randy, looking forward to all your hard work coming together in a great diorama.
  • Brett and Karl, thanks. I am going to doo some work on this side of the wall today.
  • Nice job on the castings.

I'm looking at your view block in the doorway. I'm sure it's just whatever spilled/splashed, but that would be a cool finish to be able to reproduce on a large metal piece. I'm thinking maybe the ramps.
  • Excellent work Randy. I like how you put gaps in the wall boards. Thinking ahead, if you install lighting, it will make for a really cool detail.
  • Brownbr, you are right it would be cool. Unfortunately that is my thirty plus year old right angle plate. No idea what the staines are. But you are right it does look nice.
    EmeryJ, that was pure serendipity. I spaced out the top boards so as to not end up having to rip the top board.
    The following picture is what I did yesterday. Except for the tanks and the chain none of the details are glued down yet. It is surprising how much time it takes to place things so that they look right.IMG_0959resized
    Now I just need to decide what other details to add. Thanks Brownbr and EmeryJ for your comments. It is alway nice to hear what other people think. Randy
  • Well now you're just showing off! Lol (great job!)..PS...not sure about the sign overhanging the rough opening??
  • Yes Ken, it appears more than one person 's head has ran afoul of that corner. It is bent and rusty. Can anyone say tetanus shot?
  • I worked on the wall for the last two hours. All the parts are now glued except the two crates and the white jack at the bottom left. The rope around the green bottle is left over from a USS Constitution model. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to do the other side of this wall. IMG_0960resized
  • Watch out for the white edges on the Armstrong sign.