visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My first SierraWest model

Comments

• You bet Randy...I love interior detailing and really enjoy the work you doing here...makes such a big difference in the overall feel of the build to have the interior details well sorted out.
  • Randy...also check out Evans Design Lighting...a lot of the soldering work is already done for you....resistors too....and many choices for sizes and warmth / colors of the lights
  • Thanks Ken and Muddy. Here is what I did tonight. Nothing is glued down yet but this is a start. IMG_0989resized
    I have shelves and more details to add but this is close. Randy
  • Both scenes turning out great. The interior will be stunning when you are done.
  • Yup, mighty fine Randy!
  • Here I have added the shelves and some more clutter. The labels for the water and sulfuric acid jugs were just printed from word. Technically, the big jug should be the water because lead acid batteries used 63% water and 37% acid. But H2SO4 would not fit on the small jug. Here are a front and overhead picture. Every thing is glued down but could be changed if any of you think something needs to be rearranged. IMG_0990resized
    IMG_0991resized
    I plan to work on the inside of the front wall tonight. Thanks, Randy
  • edited February 2022
    Looking good Randy.

I really like the nice touch of a couple of brass parts mixed in the parts bins randomly. Not too many and not overdone but you really nailed that little splash of something different.
    The chain hanging out of one of the bins also adds a little extra dimensionality to an already amazing casting. Nicely done.
  • So cool. I got a chuckle out of the hammer laying by the bottles. Gonna get that top on the bottle no matter what.
  • those walls have seen a lot of grime over the years
  • Love the parts bin Randy. Just the right amount of finishes without anything sticking out.
  • Bryan,you know what they say "when in doubt get a bigger hammer". I am glad you liked that. Karl, thanks for your nice comments. If we can later see the end of the parts ben that chain you talked about also hangs out a hole in the side of the bin down between the parts bin and the battery station. I did work on the front wall interior tonight. Here is the interior of the front wall. IMG_0993resized
    The interior of the back wall tomorrow and then I will hit a snag untill I get the lighting products. Thanks Randy
  • Thanks, Ken, I tried to get a well worn and dirty parts ben. Sdrees, thanks just some chalk. I wanted worn but not worn out shop. Thanks for both of your comments. If all of you have been looking carefully there have been three beer bottles on shelves. The modeler I am building this truck repair for likes his beer. I have one more left to use.. I may need to order some more from Brett. Thanks again, Randy
  • The inside of the last wall is finished. I did use that last beer bottle. Do any of yoou see anything that needs to be improved? Your comments will be appreciated. Randy IMG_0994resized
  • Not sure if it was intended, but I like it either way, is the bottom half of the window being tilted. Many of old farmhouses had crooked leaky windows. I grew up in one!
  • Yes Emery, The stick holding the window open is tilting it up on that side. And I also grew up in an old farm house too. Thanks for the comment. Randy
  • You're on a roll with the interior appointments! Well done.
  • Well done for sure.
  • Thanks Ken and Bryan. It is always nice to hear that a person is doing a good job. I ordered LED lights today. When they get here I am going to try to simulate knob and tube wiring for the building. While I am waiting for the lights I will be working on small things like the saw horses, pallets, and the floor. Thanks again for your kind words, Randy
  • Well I got two walls together and the floor. I made a mistake with cutting the floor. I looked at the template and saw cutting lines. So I cut. Oops, I didn't "measure twice and cut once" and cut off way to much of the floor. You can see I glued on two pieces of board at each corner. I don't think I will be to big of a distraction as three of the four corners will be behind walls and under the workbench and cabinet. I got the LEDs Saturday and am going to try to wire up the LEDs today. Here is what things look like at this point.IMG_0996resized
  • Randy, looks good. The floor just adds character!
  • Right, floors were often patched with spare lumber and Tom’s right...just adds interest.
  • The floor works. Could use some oil stains. Looking forward to the lights.
  • Saw you post on Toms mine build asking about a removable roof using purloins instead of the solid cardboard included in the kit. It can be done and looks good. Solid roof is more sturdy but the outlines are sturdy enough.
  • Walls look fantastic Randy, I love the weathering and detailing on them, so nicely done to make everything blend together so well. Looking great so far.
  • That sure is an old oily dirty shop Randy. Nicely done!
  • Thanks, Tom, Ken and Bryan. The floor does need some oil and dirt. I did a test last night on some unstained wood. I used Adamantium paint and alcohol and sort of blotted it around with a brush. I will think about it and maybe try some other ideas befor I mess up the finished floor.IMG_0997resized
    Bryan, as far as the roof I am strongly considering using purlins. The barn on the farm where I grew up had a tin roof on purlins that were spaced about one and a half to two feet apart. now I just need to get some O scale 1x8's or 10's.
    Karl and Steve thanks for your kind words. Randy
  • another practice of the oil stains on the floor. this is black, white and gray chalk and alcohol. Then I wiped it off while wet.
    IMG_1001resized
    That only took about ten minutes.The next picture is what took most of my time tonight. I hate electronics and soldering. It took about two and a half hours to get this to work.IMG_0999resized
    My first LED light.
  • Well, it works Randy, so that's a great success in my book.

Lighting is something I've shied away from,
    I have though recently bought some pre-wired and pre-resistored LED's so we'll see how that works out in a future build.

You have my respect and admiration for taking the step and the result.
  • Good job getting the light going. They are a chore to do at first: it gets easier but never really easy to wire them. The results are always worth the effort.

Use layers on your floor and build up to the level of grime you want. Think of it like the way you built up the level of detail on your workbenches with castings...each little bit adds to the composition. Look at some reference photos. Maybe something like a gas station surface near the pump. There is probably a large, light/diluted area of grayish grime that has some smaller areas of darker grime within it. And punctuated by small drops of wet looking grime.
  • Thanks, Karl I know I hate any thing to do with electricity. Bryan you are right I did the other four LED's tonight. So I now have a total of five wired and ready. Also, Thanks for your advice on the floor. I will be looking at pictures and try to layer the color and stains. Thanks again, Randy