visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My first SierraWest model

Comments

• Thanks, brownbr. I saw that when I posted the picture. I will go back and do the edge today. Randy
  • Closeups are unforgiving! You find all kinds of things
  • brownbr said:

Closeups are unforgiving! You find all kinds of things

EXACTLY! and that's why they're such an important modeling aide.
  • browmbr, I thought that you might like th see what I did with white showing on the Armstrong sign. I think I took care of the problem.IMG_0969resized
    I did not get a whole lot finished yesterday or today. I have a break through Covid infection so I am not feeling the best. Here is the other side of the interior wall.IMG_0964resized
    Take a look at the "glass" oil jar. I got that color by mixing the three clear Tamiya colors,
    Maybe I should added a touch of red to get a little more brown color but all in all I thought the color is about what I was trying for Thanks for your comments. RandyIMG_0970resized
  • Excellent work.

Get some rest and get back to health.
  • Feel better soon, Randy.

Cheers

George
  • Hey Randy, Just catching up here. Some amazing modelling happening here, love the windows and the colouring and texturing on the wood. Also the weathering on some of those details is just spot on.
  • brownbr and George, thanks I am starting to feel better. I am on one of the new oral antivirus and it is helping. For now I am only working an hour or two and concentrating on small things that can be redone if I mess up.
    Joel, thanks very much for your input. I am just doing my best to follow along with Brett’s instructions and your expert official build.
    Thanks again to all of you for your comments and encouragement. Randy
  • I am still getting some things finished. I just about have the inside of the window end of the truck repair finished. I have already rebuilt the legs of the workbench twice, I will do the door on the cabinet between the windows again, there is a glue mark on the tar paper to the left of the gaskets that needs to be 'patched", and I need to redo the bails on the paint buckets. Here is what it looks like now. I will repost another picture when I get finished with the upgrades.IMG_0979resized
  • edited February 2022
    Looks terrific Randy, great detail work. Watch for a few things hanging that appear to defy gravity! Lol...
  • Very nice!
  • Makes me so happy to see these details coming together like the way I envisioned it. So well done Randy!
  • Great job! The painting is very nicely done and subtle. Looks like you've added some watch parts too. A very realistic scene, you should be proud of it.
  • Looks terrific Randy, very nicely done indeed, great work.
  • Don't make things too perfect.....if they look good....and real to you.....thats the goal....
  • Great looking wall
  • Ken, I think you were talking about the the fan belts and gaskets. I think I took care of them. Admin, Jim, Tom, Karl, and Muddy Creek, Thank you for your kind comments. I spent tonight making the improvements I talked about in my last post. All the details on the wall have been glued in place. The details on the workbench and under it are loose. I hope to have a display of Lucky Lady Oil cans on the left side of the workbench. Do I need to make any changes or improvements? Thanks Randy IMG_0981resized
    Yes I saw that the window prop was not touching the window. I have corrected that. The advantage of close up photography.
  • edited February 2022
    Looks fantastic Randy, haphazardly disorganized very nicely, cluttered and untidy, belts and gaskets hanging nice and randomly, naturally uneven. Broken windows look great. The broken shelf under the bench is nice.
    randyp said:

Do I need to make any changes or improvements? Thanks Randy

Pretty hard to come up with many suggestions for you to make it any better,but, I can throw three tiny ideas at you if you want them, even though I know you're not finished yet and it's just mostly propped up.

• Great job with the clutter. You could always put a ring of yellow paint on the bench to go with the can of paint there.
  • Good idea Bryan since it is not glued down it will be no trouble. Thanks
    Karl,any and all suggestions to improve my work will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Randy
  • I'm not sure of improvement Randy, just some ideas for you to consider,
    I'm not going to say anything about the bench as I noted you said nothing is glued down yet, so I know you still have more good work to do.

Everything looks so good, and very well done, details, walls windows the scene as a whole.
    If it were mine...
    The two lime green bottles/jars, the yellow oil jar and the yellow in the crate would get a dusting of 408.3 to dull them down a little, the color is great, just need a little dulling.
    I'd paint the caps on the four jugs a metalic/silver color, you did it on the 3D oil bottle so now the jugs need it too.
    Broken ends on the under bench shelf with a splash of AI or 408.3 to take away the fresh look.
    Shadows, stains, rags on the bench, when you get to it.
    Some little extras for you to think about as it is already looking so good, not much else I can add.
  • Karl, all great suggestions which I will work on tonight. The other end wall with the parts ben will be my next project. Thanks again, Randy
  • Karl, I just finished your suggestions. Thanks Randy
  • Karl, the finished wall with some more details. A relative clean shop towel by the lunch box and Coke. The vice, a file on the little box by the vice, some yellow paint on the workbench, and caps on all the oil cans. Things are now glued down. Somewhere along the line I lost the red pipe wrench, probberly under something on my workbench. It is almost as cluttered as this model.. Looking forward to the next wall, so many details so little space. Thanks, RandyIMG_0988resized
  • Most excellent.
    Everything has come together beautifully.
  • Lots of great looking junk there.
  • Thank you Karl for your suggestions. They helped bring every thing together and tone down some bright colors.
    You are right Emery, there is a lot of great looking junk, but what else can we expect from one of Brett"s kits. Thanks, Randy
  • Great job Randy...belts and gaskets look exactly as they should...your detail work here is outstanding!. Really coming together. Well done!
  • Randy, here is a link to a GREAT post made on the forums concerning lighting. This was my starting point for information. I think this will help you a lot.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/778/lighting-clinic/p1
  • Thanks Ken, the inside of the other end wall is next. Emery, thanks for the link for lighting. Looks like my Visa card will get another workout. Thanks again to both of you. Randy