visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 311 O scale O'Neills

Comments

• doors look great!
    i think i used too much rust on my oil tank.
  • It's easy to get a heavy hand in weathering...I've sure done it plenty of times. I'm going for something subtle. Rain streaks with only a little rust. I haven't found my prototype yet, but here's what I'm looking to do.
    Etheridge_railway_-_Mount_Surprise._Water_tank_(2008)
    stock-photo-rusty-industrial-blue-metal-tank-against-clear-sky-44597092
  • Door looks fantastic. Great start and coming together so quickly.
  • Bryan. I like that first picture a lot that needs to be done. ..............Carl
  • Love the door! I think the O'Neills tank would look incredible weathered in the style of pic one...
  • Ever since Ken built his O'Neills I thought the tower would look good with a slate roof...kind of like a New England covered water tower. I felt like a slate roof would need colored walls to look right. This is how the color experiment got started. And here is how it ends.

The slate roof is mocked up along with the colored wall. To me the slates are oversized (they were made with a 1:35 mold) and the color doesn't give the feel I want on the tower. So I will be moving forward with the gray walls and shake roof.

I'll revisit the water tower idea some other time.
    IMG_0247
  • Bryan. What did you use for the slate? I live near Granville. Ny the slate capital of the world and there are many types of slate roof's. I did post a lot of pictures on the other forum under thing's that should be modeled that was many years ago. I have a few buckets of slate that you can chip off small bits of it and make some real slate shingles send me a msg if you need some. ............Carl
  • I've been working on the loading dock as I work on the structure which gives layers of paint time to dry so I don't mess with them too fast.

I started with a dark gray primer followed by SW concrete and aged concrete washes. Followed this up with some enamel washes in tan and gray. Streaks of rust, lime, and grime are enamels.

It's ready to mount the buildings. But they are not quite ready yet. I'll do some final weathering on the surface once the details are laid out.IMG_0125
    IMG_0126
    IMG_0127
    IMG_0124
  • You nailed the rust stains on the concrete. Well done sir.
  • Bryan, catching up here on your build. It is coming along wonderfully with lots of your great thoughts and detail you are noted for.

Geezerbill
  • Love what you are doing there !!!!
  • Concrete pad and rust stains look really nice Bryan.
  • Thanks everyone. I was very pleased with the way it came out. But I noticed that I forgot the moss to match the building after I posted the pic...

Re-working the tarpaper overhang per Robert's instructions. It's turning out great. Here it is installed, but not weathered yet.IMG_0130
  • Can't believe how quickly it's all coming together. Great work so far Bryan.
  • Thanks Joel. I've had a LOT of free time on my hands the past couple months and 3 years of not building anything to fuel this project. So far its been a blast.
  • Bryan, that tarpaper looks sooooo much better allready , even without weathering. Keep up the good work.
  • Can anyone tell me what the AK means. ..Carl
  • Carl - it is a brand of weathering paints that are popular in the military modeling world. If you google "AK Interactive" you can find more information on it.
  • Thank's Boss.
  • Hi Bryan,
    Welcome back! I am enjoying watching you put your touches on the build. The slate is an interesting touch. Once your done would love to see pictures of O'Neills on your layout.

Jim
  • Jim, I'm not sure if O'Neills will make it to the layout. I've been looking for a long time for a suitable location...that is one where it can be viewed from multiple angles. I've used up the prime real estate with the sawmill, tractor repair, blue sky, etc. This may end up being my first true diorama.

With this in mind, I'm looking for ideas on how to power lights with batteries. I'll need enough juice for 8ish lights plus a welding module...push button on/off, etc. Thoughts?
  • Here is the first tank experiment that is worth showing. Its a dark gray auto primer with a light gray oil wash at the bottom and enamel rain streaks. I tried several other methods and this one seems to show the most potential so I'll continue to work with it.

I primed up some castings today and plan on working on them for a while. I'm on hold with the structures until I get interior lights installed.

Still looking for battery operated ideas.IMG_0288
  • A quick post to show that I haven't been sitting around doing nothing. I've been working on castings lately. That sump slab is a real environmental hazard. I think I'm about ready to do some more wood work. IMG_0153
    IMG_0154
    IMG_0158
    IMG_0156
  • The sump casting looks wonderful! Gas pump is looking so good too.
  • Excellent work on your details Bryan, Looking forward to more.

Geezerbill
  • Really like the gas pump. This is sucha fun part of the build as things really start coming together.
  • Hey Bryan,

Hopefully I can suggest some lighting. I have been using Ngineering lighting modules, LEDs, and the gooseneck lamp kits for HO scale lighting. I recently did the torch module with LEDs for a cutting torch to add to the yard of the warehouse from main street. They have a lighting module for welding lights too. The lights add a lot. It really adds to Brett's beautiful kits. The modules for led lighting can definitely accommodate your needs. Alan did a great tutorial on led lighting awhile back here on the forum. Microillumina I have heard is really nice as well. Check it out. The biggest expense was the variable temp soldering iron from Weller.

A diorama would be cool too. Maybe you will find a home for this beautiful kit on your layout though. The other models on the layout are really special you have built.

Any progress?

Jim
  • Thanks Jim. I have always used Ngineering lights as well. What I am trying to wrap my head around right now is how to power them with a battery. Right now I'm planning on this being a standalone diorama and not part of the layout...I just don't have a space left that will do this structure justice. So I want to be able to flip on the lights without having to plug it in.

I've been working on the roof of the tower and decided to go with real wood shingles. I struggled with the ridge caps. Couldn't quite get them the way I wanted them. Tried metal and a couple of different widths of wood. This is what I came up with.

I'm also trying to figure out if it is possible to build a bird's nest in the missing shingle area that would look realistic. That would just make me smile every time I looked at it.

I imagined that the finial trim would be tin, so I tried it with metal first, then ended up painting the paper trim to look like tin. No chalks/powders applied yet.

Next here will be to get more of a gray tone to the shingles and to get some nice streaking effects going down the roof.IMG_0159
    IMG_0162
    IMG_0165
    IMG_0173
    IMG_0175
    IMG_0179
  • Bryan. Very neat weather it up a bit and you will have a home run. ...........Carl