visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Kit 311 O scale O'Neills

Comments

• I've been working on the "metal" castings for a while (photos to prove it) as I ponder how I'm going to mount this bad boy on the diorama. I've also been working out how I'm going to power the lights. I've been back and forth with Tim from nGineering and he has been very generous with his time helping me understand series vs parallel, amps vs watts, etc. I'll end up with 4 push-button switches on the face of the frame with seperate battery power for each. 1 each for lights, welder, burn barrel, and sound.

Notice the accumulation on the inside of the yellow barrel. It looks good inside the open barrels but this was a frustrating mistake. For years I have used a dark gray primer for my metal castings. On this batch I got that accumulation on all of the castings which required a bath in alcohol to remove it all and start over.

IMG_0020
    IMG_0024
  • Love the tub in foreground...perfectly done.
  • Terrific detail work Bryan, Those drums are just superb, I really like the aging , rust spots and generally the overall look you have done so well.

Karl.A

• edited August 2018
    One of the most beautiful sights in the world is....

a scrap of blue/pink foam filled with toothpicks holding Bretts castings.

All painted and ready to place....
  • After seeing the detail level that exists in the works of "O scale" masters I often wonder If I should become a convert from HOn3! The finish on your castings is fantastic. I am copying this entire build to my laptop for reference.
  • I can't but agree, terrific work on those castings.

Bill, when you look at what Ken is doing ( and others in HO) that's just as amazing aswel...
  • Thanks Kem. The finish on the tub is one my favorites as well.

You are right Karl. It won't be long before the placement begins.

Bill and Robert, thanks. A dirty little secret though is that O scale is kind of like cheating for HO scalers...it lowers the degree of difficulty by increasing the size of things.
  • I'm at the next stage of the build...putting details on details.IMG_0032
    IMG_0036
  • OUCH! You are driving me crazy. Great modeling, great stuff modeled, great photography in setting on your pike. How can I see more of your railroad? 3-foot? On30? My direct email is marshallx@tidewater.net. for photos any size.
  • The oily red rag is SO good.
  • Dear Eric, better get used to seeing great modeling on this forum. SW kits just demand to be executed that way!! :wink: Details on details are no exception....No secrets here, just ask..everybody is willing to help.
  • edited August 2018
    Robert, I believe I am among my own kind. We shall see. I've been dying to tell a few secrets but no one has asked. Even Brett had never heard of my wood aging system. Or my pealing paint, which no one would know unless they they were a temper-drone Celtic drunk.
  • Ha, ha, ha! Temper-prone! But I like Temper-drone. Maybe that's what I am?
  • Fantastic work Bryan, they are really coming to life now. Amazing how adding the extras really elevates them. Such great innovations by Brett and work by you.

I'm excited to see more.

Karl.A
  • Great stuff Bryan
  • Ed, but now I'm so curious about you going off the deep end! I'll share my systems under another thread, my own. I hope you're a drinker because it is paramount to success with my technique. Where can I see what you have modeled? Which scale? Theme?
  • Thanks guys. This is a fun part of each build for me.

Eric, this link will go to a brief look into my layout. Haven't updated in a while because is it a mess and I get more enjoyment out of building structures than running the trains. Maybe one day I'll clean it off and run some trains...and take some fresh pics. O'Neills will be the first kit I've built that it not intended for the layout because I've simply run out of room to put a structure of this size in place.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/257/st-mary-lumber-co/p1
  • Thanks for the link. I added a comment. I'm not much of an operator either. I like to sit back with something cold, sip, and watch a way freight struggle around. About it besides the building part. I just ordered all the sawmill machinery with no place for it go. I'm just obsessed with looking at really well-done miniatures. O scale is the perfect size for me. Funny how when you find that, everything just clicks.
  • Eric, I built the sawmill machinery at least a year before I got the sawmill kit. Not a problem.

I've been working on the workshop and the interior is nearing completion. Need to put some accumulated dirt around the work areas and a few other minor things. Trying some LP positioning as well. Once I get this finished I plan on moving on to final diorama placement.

I plan on putting in a crane. I have 2 options at this point that I am considering...a small open crane, or a larger enclosed crane. I'll do some mockups and post for suggestions.IMG_0037
    IMG_0038
    IMG_0039
    IMG_0040
    IMG_0041
  • Looks fine. And organized inside. :wink: He won't stumble over the clutter ( yet )
  • Wonderful Bryan. Love the little guy in front of the stove!
  • Thanks Robert. I'm sure it will end up a cluttered mess and possibly even a hazardous workplace.

I've been prepping some of the potential inhabitants. Does anyone else think this guy looks like Mario? Looks like a couple of these guys have been to see the Red Queen. If it is a good clean fit with no need for filler, I like to do the heads seperate if possible. IMG_0044
  • Hey Bryan,

I have a few questions about your sources for the figures in the last few posts.

I recognize the welding figures in the background (1/48th scale Buffalo Landing figures) of the photo above.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/075/3C4YCKWKRBB1.jpg
    But I don't recognize the three figures in the foreground. Who casts those figures?

Nor do I recognize the figure sitting at the desk in the interior of the workshop
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/384/SHLUD317BIVT.jpg

or the sweeper outside the workshop door;
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/688/H6OJ5LIW8FBF.jpg

or the dog by the workshop stove.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/043/469DCKDL24CV.jpg

Thanks, Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Go and check this Dave. https://www.mk35.com/en/16-civilians

It is a French 'artisan' but I put it in English. More easy for you...
  • Robert,

Thanks for sharing that site. Some great figures to be sure. Plenty of them that would look nice in a diorama scene.

The site says the figures are 1/43rd scale however, so they would be a bit larger/taller than 1/48th scale figures. This might only be noticeable when positioned near each other in a scene. Might even be hardly noticeable, just a few inches, in height difference depending on the pose of the figure. Could be the difference between a man who is about 5'-10" (average height) and a man who is say 6'-2" tall. A noticeable difference. But in all fairness, I can say I am one of the 5'-10" guys and my son is 6'-7". He towers over me in real life so a difference in height can often be a fact of life.

I did a conversion of the Euro to US dollars (8/19/18) and found that 6.5 Euros is about equivalent to $7.43 and 10 Euros is equal to $11.44 while 15 Euros is $17.17 all based on what day one checks the currency exchange rates.

Thanks, Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, I don't recall exactly where the sitting figure came from. Could have been MacKenzie. The dog I believe is from Phoenix. He is lacking a high level of detail. I'll see how I like him when he is painted. I like the Phoenix figures and I'm sure a couple will end up here. I think 12-15 total figures would work and not look over-populated. This will be my first use of the MK35 figures, I just love the detail in the faces.

Ed, I expected you to jump right on the Red Queen comment.
  • Splendid interior detailing Bryan! Your LPs are going to look great.
  • Thanks Ken. I do enjoy adding LPs to scenes.

I started getting the base ready and laid the track. Once I get the structures positioned I'll go back and add weeds, loose dirt, oil spills, etc to the ballast.IMG_0047
    IMG_0048
  • nice! i had to rip my track out and re-lay it about 3/8" further away from the building so there was a bit more room for a rail car to pass by (and so i could re-employ those two pallets to hide the foundation/building gap)
  • Looking really nice Bryan...
    Seeing that long shot of your structure really shows off the weathering.
    I know we always go for close ups, but, as a 'whole' from a distance, it looks great.

Karl.A