visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

BlueSky Company Warehouse HO/HOn3

Comments

• edited March 2017
    So..if I ring the bell...will it work?
  • Thanks Stephen...the little things...

Depends on who you are!

Hi Ed, appreciate that. I'm keeping a slow but steady pace on the build.

• To clarify...I was looking at my own picture I posted above and wanted to mention that the image that you see through the window is about 1.5 inches back from the window. The picture looses that depth feeling and didn't want anyone thinking I put the picture right up to the window, which of course would have looked terrible! Its also bent around and meets the wall on both side so if you peer in at an angle you still see interior apperaing details.
  • I will take 2 cans of beans and some tums if you have them. What a great scene!!!! The peeled paint, the service bell, sign, and light with the shelves and goods in the background are awesome! You need a little person leaning on the window ledge too!
    This is really great stuff Ken.
    Jim
  • KKarns said:

To clarify...I was looking at my own picture I posted above and wanted to mention that the image that you see through the window is about 1.5 inches back from the window. The picture looses that depth feeling and didn't want anyone thinking I put the picture right up to the window, which of course would have looked terrible! Its also bent around and meets the wall on both side so if you peer in at an angle you still see interior apperaing details.

That just answered my question.... I hope you won't mind if I come up with more soon.... it seems like I have a lot to learn lol
  • wonderful effect. Just enough of an illusion to be believable...
  • Thanks Brett, just another one of those "experiments" that seemed to work here and in the "file drawer" for future builds.

Hey Jim...thanks...and wait till the deck is installed and I put in a loafing stool and some details inside and out on the counter...Funny you mentioned the little people (LPs). I, as a rule, tend to not like a diorama populated with little people. I think if it were done with high quality figures painted extremely well it would work. I know other modelers that have done a very good job with the LPs, and I think it's just a personal preference kind of thing. With that said, I have been thinking of late, to begin a Dr. Grunge signature move and have just one little person somewhere on all my dioramas but in a not so visible spot. Just like inside at the counter as you mentioned. Anyone viewing my diormas will have to search around to find my LP...kind of like the "Where's Waldo" books. I will begin with BlueSky and also see if I can back track and add them to my previous builds. Korny idea...probably...but sounds fun to me.

Well hi Mike, ask away...nice hearing from you
  • The following images finish up the back corner weathering on the main barn. Previously I mentioned how its important to plan out how individual walls will appear together when working on them seperately before assembly.

The roof card stock was cut out and rafters and purlins were made and installed so missing and rotten roof boards would reveal the apperance of a structured roof framing underneath. This now allows for a cohesive apperance of the entire right rear of the barn has suffered water and weather damage from the roof water tank, exterior plumbing which leaks and water run off from the roof.

IMG_1373

Roof card stock cut and sub-roof framing installed.

IMG_1404

Finished main barn roof with wethered rear corner complete.
  • IMG_1400

Better view of the roof area detailing
  • edited March 2017
    Bout ready to say...barn rear is the rear of the barn!...so glad you got it my man...thanks much Ed, appreciate your thoughts.
  • Excellent work as always, Ken. The rotted roof is really well done and the interior picture is very effective.
    The photo that you used--is it slightly out of focus within the model? Or is it crisp but appears blurred in that picture?
  • edited March 2017
    Thanks Bill, interior image is crisp and clean just out of focus as the auto focus locked on the window as the interior image is about an inch or so further back.
  • edited March 2017
    Beautiful work Ken,
    I especially like the way you have thought through and planned this corner, obviously long before you started building it.
    The leaking water tank/pipe, leading to a hole in the roof, leading to the rotten walls at the base.
    People in the future will see the finished model and that specific scene will look natural and make sense to them without them even thinking about it,
    however,
    It takes creative vision to see it before it is even there, and then even more to design and build it, essentially visualising it all in reverse.
    ie: I want a rotted wall, so, what would be behind the rotted wall? how can I build that? how can I adapt that into what is there now.
    Basically reverse engineering the outward look you wanted and then actually building it forwards to give you that look.
    Nicely done. !

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl, really enjoy your insite and your appreciation for what I'm trying to accomplish and convey here...much better than I could explain it!
  • I really like the look of the roof
  • Thanks much Bryan. After seeing it in the images and mulling over it in front of me, I think the staggering of the main roof boards are a bit too much. I could always go back and correct but probably better left alone least I screw something up! The front appears more subtile. Will post pics of the finished barn soon, have the loft roof to go...
  • Love it! Coming together perfectly.
  • Good...glad to hear that as I respect your modeling prowess...nice hearing from you Joel.
  • Ken, I've been traveling again (this time to Spokane - Go Zags!!!). I'm catching up on your build. Amazing stuff. I wouldn't be afraid of LPs. With you skill, I would buy unpainted LPs and paint them to match your diorama. Keep up the good work. Phil
  • The roof looks fantastic. Love the exposed corner...
  • Thanks Brett, such a wonderful design with so much character I'm having a ball detailing the thing. This roof is such a focal point of the BlueSky complex, it deserves careful scrutiny and attention.

Hi Phil, welcome back from the "field" so to speak. Thanks for the vote of confidence and I'll see how I do on a sample LP and hide em in BlueSky somewhere!
  • Looking fantastic Ken. All the small details are really incredible.
  • Thanks Steve, It's slowly coming together.
  • Great idea on the roof edge, everything is coming together really nice!
  • Thanks Nejc, it seemed to work out well.
  • Roof looks fantastic, leave it alone.

Karl.A
  • Appreciate that Karl, I agree best leave it be...
  • Taking Karl's advise I left well enough alone and have thus finished the roof of the old barn. Actually, the entire barn is done save for the water tank platform and water tank. I will add some details around and with it later on. Roof was extended slightly in front and appropriate patches and repairs made.

IMG_1441

IMG_1443

IMG_1448

IMG_1449

IMG_1453

IMG_1454

IMG_1455
  • Incredible !
    No more to say.
  • Thanks Karl, inspired by your wonderful treatment of the O Scale version many moons ago!