visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Twin Mills

Comments

• Great little tutorial on a touchy subject Mitch. Appreciate your work here and look forward to your final pour!
  • I think I am ready for the first pour.

IMG_0001 (2)

IMG_0002 (2)

IMG_0003 (2)

IMG_0004 (2)

IMG_0005 (2)

IMG_0006 (2)

IMG_0007 (1)

IMG_0008 (2)

IMG_0009

The stumps and the logs outside the banks are just lying there are not a permanent part of the scenery. Some of the log supports in the pond still need to be painted.

Thanks for looking.
  • Looking mighty fine Mitch! You really nailed the feel of a backwoods sawmill. Anxious to see how the pour works out...steady as she goes! Just beautiful work.
  • Excellent! Looks like you're all set for the water.
  • Mitch. when do you intend to start? Have a good time keeper and enjoy yourself. Carl
  • Logs look just right. On with the pour.
  • Exciting times Mitch, everything has come along beautifully, a spectacular job.

Karl.A
  • Two pours into the pond. Making 32 ounce pours with the first pour colored with GN empire green at 1 ml per 8 ounces. The second is .75 ml at 8 ounces. The next will be at .5 per 8 ounces.

I covered everything with tape to keep the drips off of the logs and structures. If I decide to get the logs wet I can use a gloss medium for that.

IMG_0001 (3)

IMG_0003 (3)

IMG_0010

IMG_0012

IMG_0008 (3)

I like the color of the pond with this paint. There are a lot of tape reflections and some of the sunken wood along the shoreline look like shiney lumps until the water gets deeper. I may be jinxing myself but this has not been as difficult as I thought it would. The bubbles have been minimal and I have had plenty of time to work with the resin without it hardening.

Many pours to go, as you can see, to get half way up the logs.

Thanks for looking.

• Hi Mitch,

I went thru the same thing when I did some water. It wasn't as difficult as I thought either.
  • Looking good Mitch now just enjoy all of your work. ..........Carl................
  • Looking good Mitch!...I like the yucky color and your distribution of the debris.
  • the color looks perfect to me. lots of "tannin" in the water as it seems it should be.
  • Mitch, this is really going to bring your whole build together. I like your methodology of preparing for the pour and the pour itself. A great reference for my future build. Thanks for providing the details. Phil
  • Mitch....I have Twin Mills on order from Brett and am trying to determine how it will fit into a layout....what is the total footprint size required?
    Terry
  • Terry. When I built the Mill I made the base 46 in by 46 in that way it will fit in a suburban. The bigger the pond and smaller logs I think looks best that is a big mill so it would require a large pond, I hope this helps.
    My Mill is in the finished builds on this forum.
    just Saying, ........Carl...............

PS I also added the wood cutter's shack in with the mill.
  • Thanks Carl....good thought on the wood cutters shack as I have that one as well....once again good info from the members hanging out here
    Terry
  • Thank you all for the encouragement.

I am five pours in and so far so good. I am close to if not on the final pour which will be clear. That's when all the floating debris is sprinkled on top of the pond to try to make it more realistic. That will have to wait for the weekend when I have more time to devote to it.

Terry, I am on the same page as Carl with my dimensions of 48 inches wide by 46 inches deep. I have a curved track running around the outside of the pond which you will see some day when I finish the scenery outside the pond.

My pond is roughly 27 inches wide by 20 inches deep.

The old mill building is 14 inches deep from the pond to the sorting platform.

The new mill is 16 inches deep from the front platform to the drying shed.

The complex is 32 inches wide from the sawdust burner sawdust pile to the unloading track.

I recommend anyone building the sawmill to look at Carl's mill. It was an award winner.

• Mitch,

Great "see it", "say it", "do it" tutorial for all who hope to model water on a diorama or layout.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Here is the almost finished pond. I will try to add some ripples indicating water flow from left to right with some gloss medium. I will experiment on some of the practice pond pours first. If they do not work I will go without.

First a look at the reason I taped everything before I poured.

IMG_0001 (5)

On to the pond. Where debris is collecting are areas where the current is not strong enough to move the debris downstream.

IMG_0002 (5)

IMG_0003 (5)

IMG_0004 (5)

IMG_0005 (4)

IMG_0008 (4)

IMG_0011 (1)

IMG_0016

IMG_0013

IMG_0010 (1)

The pond is difficult to photograph for me because of the reflections from the ceiling off the pond. I hope they do not detract too much from the pond. It has been a fun project to work on. Much more fun than any roof!

Thanks for looking.
  • Simply amazing!!!!!
    Terry
  • Nice jor Mitch. .....Carl.......
  • Very nice work Mitch. A lot of really nice touches.

Mark
  • Looking good. The debris around the water's edge adds to the realism.
  • Great work and a great reference for anyone working on the mill. Thanks for posting such detail. Phil
  • Hey Mitch, after all the procrastination, what a terrific job!
  • VERY nice I might say.
  • A successful final pour...whew!...well done and love all the debris along the edges etc...
  • Mitch,

Really like the ability to get a glimpse the logs and such that have sunken to the murky bottom, Very realistic. Great tutorial. Onward!!!

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Moving toward the finish line, slowly. I present the log unloader.

IMG_0001 (6)

IMG_0002 (6)

I see I need to fill in some dirt underneath the beams.
    IMG_0003 (6)

Please ignore the giant's hand in the corner.
    IMG_0005 (5)

IMG_0004 (6)

IMG_0007 (4)

Thanks for looking.