visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Twin Mills

Comments

• I think you could go with more sawdust. Sprinkle some down then brush out walking paths through the machinery. This should make the sawdust accumulate under the machinery and benches just like in real life.
  • Mitch.... I’m enjoying following along your build...I hope to build this kit one day and you’ve provided some great guideposts to help me along
    Terry
  • Great modeling Mitch, love the board ends and timbers on the side of the dock (5th pic from bottom) and the workbench and associated details!
  • Some small progress.

Here are the sorting platform lumber stacks.

IMG_0001 (17)

IMG_0004 (13)

The kit calls for large piles of saw dust inside the old mill and outside. I was worried about gluing down the large pile of saw dust so I made a base I could paint and not have to use so much glue to keep the whole pile together.

IMG_0005 (12)

IMG_0007 (11)

IMG_0009 (8)

Maybe it is premature to post these pictures until I see the results but, in theory, it should work.

Thanks for looking.
  • Stacked lumber looks great and the carved saw dust pile bases is a super idea!
  • That's going to be a big pile of sawdust.
  • I really like the idea and I'm sure it will turn out great. Can't wait to see it. Phil
  • Mitch,

Nothing ventured = nothing gained. Win, lose or draw we will all learn from your experiment. Where would civilization be if we didn't have tinkerers and risk takers.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Your fresh cut lumber looks outstanding! Color variations here and there with suggestions of a little heartwood and sapwood. Well done!

Your sawdust piles will work just fine. Perhaps paint the green foam with a sawdust colored craft paint and immediately sprinkle on fine sawdust. Once everything dries, re-evaluate and (most likely) add additional layers of sawdust. Secure it with a 50/50 white glue and water mix. Keep going until the seams and voids from the foam substructure are no longer obvious.
  • Most of the roofs I have seen on these models are an orange brown rust and I decided to go for something a little different. This was my inspiration.

IMG_0011 (6)

IMG_0013 (4)

I felt all of those stripes on this roof would not work. I went for a relatively new roof just starting to rust. Here are my results. The roof will be completed when the loft is connected to the old sawmill.

IMG_0014 (2)

IMG_0016 (2)

IMG_0017 (2)

IMG_0020 (1)

I would like to thank Bill for his encouragement for me to go in this direction. Its not the worst roof you have ever seen. I hope.

Thanks for looking.

• Not at all, it looks mighty fine to me !
  • Mitch. Great looking roof gives it some contrast to the overall mill. ......Carl........
  • The corrugated roof is finished.

IMG_0005 (13)

IMG_0006 (13)

IMG_0007 (12)

IMG_0008 (8)

I realize its finish is not everyone's "cup of tea" but it is what I was after.

By the way here is the saw dust shed. If you did not know it saw dust absolutely repels water. I coated the styrofoam with glue and sprinkled on the saw dust. Then I sprinkled more saw dust on top of that.

IMG_0010 (9)

The two main buildings are glued down now and I will start scenicking the perimeter. I still need to saw the logs and finish the pond bottom.

Thanks for looking.
  • That roof was quite a project. It looks realistic and you are the one that has to be happy with it. I think it was a job well done. Will there be a flashing added between the corrugated and battens? Or is the currugated the flashing?
  • I agree with Bryan but of course not "grungy" enough for my taste!lol.

Saw dust pile turned out great!
  • Roof looks good Mitch, I too rarely do a fully rusted out roof. Yours looks naturally just starting to show its age.
    The sawdust pile came out great, a very natural looking shape and finish overall.

Karl.A
  • Mitch. A real nice look on the roof. ..Carl........
  • The sawdust is very well succeeded..
  • Love the roof, extremely well done. Sawdust pile looks wonderful as well!
  • I appreciate the positive comments Robert, Carl, Ken, Karl and Brett. Keeps me motivated and not second guessing myself as much.

Thank you for the question Bryan.As you can see in the pictures the corrugated is formed into the valley that kind of makes it the flashing.

IMG_0002 (18)

IMG_0003 (19)

I built up everything as far as I could to push the old roof and the new roof together last. If I did not like how the two roofs coming together looked I thought I could cut off the battens above the new roof line and complete the corrugated portion on top of the flat wooden roof that would be left. Once I started the assembly you see in the pictures I felt it looked okay. I would hate to try to add tar along the edge of the corrugated on top of the battens. I think it would be a negative sore thumb where, in the current roof, the connection between the two roofs just merits a glance and the eye moves on
  • Mitch here is my roof. ........CarlP1030855

P1030856

P1030855

I hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the pictures of the roofs Carl. Yours look great. It looks like you connected the corrugated to the batten roof the same way I did.

I believe you colored your wood with paint stains and I colored mine with ink but, I would say, the results are very similar. I would not have the patience to stain all the wood that went into this kit with the newer pastel method. Not that it could not be done but it would be a lot of work.
  • A little more done. The sawdust conveyor is installed. The slab bin will be placed along side the conveyor next.

IMG_0018 (2)

IMG_0014 (3)

IMG_0021 (1)

IMG_0020 (2)

IMG_0013 (5)

Thanks for looking.
  • No, we thank you for posting this beauty...
  • Sawdust and oil...a fire waiting to happen. Hope none of your workers light up nearby.
  • How true Bryan! Wonderful modeling Mitch. Truly enjoying this build thread. I appreciate your modeling skills and willingness to share. Thanks!
  • Thanks for the encouragement Robert, Bryan and Brett.

I am not there yet but I have a question about coloring the pond epoxy. I have two unopened bottles of Pollyscale Empire Green to color the pond with. I do not know if it twice as much as I need or half as much as I need. Can anyone offer a reference from their own experience as to the amount of color to add to each layer poured. I realize that I should use less as the pond rises but how much to start with? Two teaspoons per 8 ounces? One?
    I left all the structures that reside in the pond loose so I could paint the epoxy on them at around 7/8 inch height to try to avoid the dreaded wicking (meniscus) that comes with the epoxy. I will also try to paint the bank at the same height. I assume I can paint this on clear and it will just blend in with the colored water?
  • Very little paint goes a long way in coloring epoxy. You are going to pour in layers and each layer should get progressively tranparent. I don't have an exact formula but others here might have a formula that has worked for them.
  • Sawdust pile and conveyor turned out really nice. Like how you integrated the conveyor into the pile, very natural looking.