visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Twin Mills

Comments

• I gave up on finding better logs than I had. Now I can go back through the instructions I skipped because of them.

IMG_0003

IMG_0004

IMG_0005

IMG_0006

IMG_0007

IMG_0010

I see in the pictures there is a tiny bit of brass showing on the chains. Very fixable.
    Much done, more to go.

I would like to thank Bill, Mike and Carl for the previous posts of their award winning sawmills. I would have hated to attempt this without them. Anyone contemplating building this kit must use them as a reference because as extensive as the instructions are there is nothing like a color picture of a completed assembly to give you confidence in what you are trying to accomplish.
  • Mitch. Great work keep it up. ............Carl........
  • Those logs look awfully good to me. Nice tight fine growth rings, bark looks plausible...nice.
  • I agree with Ken. What kind of wood did you use for them?
  • Hi Robert, the wood I am using for the logs are bird perches from Pet Smart which is a pet supply store chain. Here in Northwest Ohio there are three in the area and each store has maybe two in stock. The ones in one store do not necessarily match the ones from another. Batches of tree limbs used for birds were not meant to match in a log pond. Go figure? So I purchased what they had and waited for them to restock. When I went back they were different. They did not match the ones I bought before. So I kept buying them and have a collection. The ones in stock now are not close to being usable so I sorted through my collection for the closest matches. The ones I used in the previous post do not match the ones that will be in the log pond. They will be somewhat hidden so I decided to use them where they are at. The others will look like this.

IMG_0011

Thank you for your offer Carl but I have convinced myself that the logs cut to size from similar perches like the ones in the picture above will be okay in the log pond. This sawmill will never be in a contest room and I suppose (hope!) my guests will not think they could have been better.

Moving on.

The castings were daunting because of the sheer volume of them. Eventually I made my way through most of them.

Here are some of the larger ones.

IMG_0002 (1)

IMG_0004 (1)

IMG_0005 (1)

IMG_0006 (1)

IMG_0007 (1)

IMG_0008 (1)

IMG_0005 (1)

IMG_0006 (1)

For whatever reason the pictures seem to enhance the orange in the rust but to my eye they tend more toward a brown in person.

I realize most of you have a preference for black tools on the workbenches but it is not my preference. I like the look of the weathered silver tools.

Now that I have progressed this far the way everything fits together is clearer to me especially the belting for the various pulleys for the machines. That was scaring me. Not anymore.

The next big hurdle of course is the corrugated roof. Bill's advice from a long time ago when I started this kit is a big help. Thank you in advance.

I still need to cut the terrain foam for the trestles and the transfer table.

And a lot of other things.

Much done, more to go.

Ken, sorry I have not complimented you on the work you are doing on the new kit. I find it gives me a smile to see your work. I nod and say you can tell its a Ken Karns model. Your look, as always is pure Dr. Grunge. Keep it up.

• I am not sure why some of the pictures in the previous posting did not show up here is another attempt.

IMG_0004 (1)

IMG_0005 (1)

IMG_0010 (1)

IMG_0009 (1)

IMG_0006 (1)

Not the greatest pictures but its something.
  • That is some really great work on those castings. Very nice work.

Karl. A
  • Wonderful casting detail Mitch!..Love your workbench coloring and contrasts so nicely with all the clutter detail. You've got some well spent time here...beautiful.
  • Thanks for the encouragement Karl and Ken. I appreciate it.

Thew new mill is beginning to take shape.

IMG_0002 (2)

IMG_0003 (2)

IMG_0005 (2)

IMG_0009 (2)

IMG_0011 (1)

IMG_0013

Some of the castings are not in the right place yet.
  • Amazing work, Mitch
    Terry
  • What beautiful work on such an intricate model, Mitch

George
  • Great job Mitch this is the fun part the roof is well you will see,The space in between the mill and the floor is very important so the roof will line up with the other one. ........Carl..........
  • Great job on the castings and overall build.

Are the saw blades permenantly set? If not, consider taking them off and putting circular wear marks on the blade. Simply attach to dremel at slow speed and touch brush with appropriate paint to spinning blade.
  • I'm amazed at this kit everytime I see it, and you're doing a wonderful job with it.
  • Wonderful progress Mitch, a real treat to follow along. Thanks for all the great pics! Everything is looking so good.
  • edited September 2018
    Brian....great idea about the spinning blade.....so many good ideas to be gained from hangin’ with you guys
    Terry
  • Thanks for the positive comments everyone.

I considered putting the circles on the saw blade long before I started to put the saw blades together. There is an old sawmill, water powered, near me called the Isaac Ludwig mill. They actually use the mill to cut wood. Here are a couple of pictures.

Sawblade 1

Sawblade 2

I think the circles are a good idea and the execution would not be difficult. I kept coming back to these pictures and decided not to add them. I will admit there is a slight ring around the outside but it is light.
  • I have run into a problem (opportunity?) with the wings on the new mill where they enter the old mill.

The directions show that the wings fit inside the rafters of the new mill. In the instruction book the assembly looks like this.

The picture below clearly shows the truss tight against the saw filers floor.

IMG_0008 (3)

The picture below shows the position of the wings inside the rafters. Boards most be glued on the cardboard which will make it slighty thicker.

IMG_0009 (3)

I thought I did everything according to instructions on the old mill roof with the opening and the walls on the new mill but this is what it looks like.

IMG_0002 (3)

IMG_0003 (3)

IMG_0002 (3)

IMG_0006 (3)

The first two pictures show the wing walls outside the truss so if I move them inside the truss the gaps on each side will be that much bigger, like the ones in the third picture.

You can see in the last picture how far away the wing wall is from the old roof opening. I am asking advice from those who have built this mill before did you run into the same problem or did I trip myself up somewhere. The opening in the old roof is precisely the same as the instructions. I suppose what I need to do is to add boards to the old roof to close the gaps on each side. Should I break off the truss supports on the truss closest to the old mill and move them inside to make more room for the wing walls?

As I sit here and think about it maybe I should move the trusses away from the saw filers floor to leave a gap for the wall to fit into which would move the walls closer to the old roof opening. I could use beams running across the new mill to hold up the saw filers floor. But what will this extra distance do to the fit of the roof above it?
  • Right or wrong I went ahead and made the wing walls around the saw filers room fit the space they needed to be in. I added boards to the old mill roof to fill in the spaces on each side. here are the results.
    IMG_0001 (4)

IMG_0002 (4)

IMG_0004 (4)

IMG_0005 (4)

IMG_0007 (4)
  • Thanks for your posting, Mitch....Good problem solving on your part....I have the Twin Mills on order with Brett and will be especially aware of this area when I come to it....
    Terry
  • Terry
    What I should have checked before I built it was the roof opening on the old roof compared to the new mill framed wall that I built when I started the kit. It would have been simple to do but I assumed everything in the drawings were correct but in this case they were not. The opening in the drawing was off by two boards per side on my model. Not a big deal really just an unexpected surprise.
  • To anyone who cares to comment, grey enamel primer seems to be the way to proceed on the corrugated roof. Is etchant primer better than regular primer or doesn't it matter?
  • Mitch. Mike told me not to use etchant primer . Carl.
  • Thanks Carl. Keeps me from creating more problems.
  • The belts have been installed. The belt connecting the live rolls was a nasty one. Not as tight as I would like but it was the best I could do under the circumstances.

IMG_0001 (5)

IMG_0002 (5)

IMG_0007 (5)

IMG_0006 (5)

The first three pictures are taken at an angle that will be impossible to see once the buildings are properly arranged on the layout. The pictures below represent what will be able to be seen.

IMG_0001 (6)

IMG_0002 (6)

Thanks for looking.
  • Fantastic, Mitch. I can’t even imagine.

George
  • Thanks for the comment George.

More of the interior of the new mill.

IMG_0001 (7)

IMG_0002 (7)

IMG_0010 (3)

IMG_0005 (6)

Added a few castings to make the interior a little more interesting.

Thanks for looking.

• More interesting for sure. It looks great.
  • Mitch. Now it gets interesting of where to put all of your details, Looks great keep up the fine work.................Carl.............
  • Mitch,

A breathtaking build. The coloring of the wood is great and the machinery on the mill floor couldn't be better. Just a fine exhibition of spectacular care taken to make each detail look real.
    Really great to see such an open view of the detailed inside of this beauty. As a carpenter wanna-be I am in awe of the detail of the stairs and overall realism of this build.
    I'm torn at this point as I can't wait to see the final views of the completed build and yet on the other hand I don't want to see it end.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ