visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Twin Mills

Comments

• Mitch. This is the best that I can do for a pictures.

P1030478

P1030479

I hope that this helps. ...Carl
  • Thanks Bill, Bill and Carl. I like the mottled logs better in the picture than I do in person. Both of the builds have the support off the deck, so that is settled. Carl you really worked over the wood in your structures. Nice job. Mine is newer, at least that is my excuse for not doing all that work.
  • Assembled log haul and log deck.

IMG_0007 (3)

IMG_0006 (4)

IMG_0005 (4)

Log carriage coming up.

• Very nice Mitch boy do I remember all of that work..................Carl
  • Labor of love...nice work Mitch.
  • Looks great.
  • Thanks for the comments Carl, Ken and Joel.
    I did not think I did a good job of capturing the color of the castings in the last post so here is another try.

IMG_0002 (5)

That is more what they look like to my eye.
  • Don't know quite where to thank all of you folks and your postings, so I'll start here. I am new to Sierra West, and 1 year into Ho railroading. Started with small wood kits. Am now working on the re-release of the Railroad Camp. Doing OK so far, but looking through all the work/building you folks have done is a lesson unto itself. You all have helped me more than you know. Much thanks.
  • The machinery looks great Mitch as well as the rest of the build!
    Jim
  • Thanks for your encouragement Ed and Jim.

Frank, glad you are looking in. Patiently following the directions leads to good results. Post some pictures of the camp. We all enjoy looking at Sierra West builds.
  • I did not finish the log carriage because I need a log to mount on the carriage. I am still not satisfied with the logs I have so I am putting that aside for now.

I painted and assembled the double blade circular husk saws. Hope that is not redundant.

IMG_0004 (7)

IMG_0005 (5)

IMG_0014

IMG_0011 (1)

IMG_0010 (1)

IMG_0009 (1)

The next step in the instructions is to paint the castings. So here we go.
  • Look's good Mitch. ......Carl
  • Nice detail work Mitch. So many nice features of Twin Mills...
  • Have not posted for a while because I have not been working on this for a while. I thought I would post a couple of things.

Here are the live rolls and the dead rolls.

IMG_0001 (8)

IMG_0003 (7)

Here is roughly where they will be in the new mill.

IMG_0004 (8)

Castings are supposed to be next but there are so many I will probably paint a few at a time. These are the castings that have at least some wood.

IMG_0005 (6)

For some idea of how many more there are to paint these are the rest of the castings in the box. There are still some more in bags.

IMG_0007 (5)

I would say this is what we have come to expect in a Sierra West kit. There is no skimping on the latest HO sawmill kits as you can see. Down to single bottles!
  • Holy smokers...I’ve got Twin Mills on order...had no idea what I was getting myself into ;-))
    Terry
  • Great to see your work Mitch! Main floor looks awesome!
  • One thing I notice in a real mill is a wear pattern on the floor. Around machines or area where cleanup would be done to move waste. In the Flour Mill at New Hope, New York; the Lumber mills at Roseburg Lumber Co. in Dillard, OR, and the old Hub Lumber Co in Roseburg you would see the wear patterns on the floors. I even saw them on the floors of the old box cars and engines my grandfather repaired. Has anyone come up with a way to duplicate those patterns?
  • If the wood floor is stained with alcohol/chalk I wonder if a cloth wrapped index finger dipped in alcohol and “dragged” were the wear pattern would be would do the trick
    Terry
  • Definitly one of those questions that can only be answered by just tying it out on a piece of test flooring. Until you try you'll never know.
    Karl.A
  • I'm a big fan of going darker on the floor and sanding the paths using a high grit paper or stick.
  • The donkey engine that resides on the unloading platform.

IMG_0001 (9)

IMG_0003 (8)

IMG_0004 (9)
  • Wonderfully done Mitch.
  • I am always surprised how much detail there is , even in HO. Nice work .!
  • The roofs on the boiler house are not as orange as they appear in the pictures. They do not look orange at all in person. All of the roofs are removable at this point so they can be assembled quickly when the buildings are put in their final positions.

IMG_0007 (6)
    IMG_0008 (2)
    IMG_0010 (2)

IMG_0016
  • edited July 2018
    Looking good....did I say good???I meant Great
    Terry
  • Well done Mitch, really nice to see such a terrific update. Love the paint peel on the siding. What a wonderful build you've got going...Ken
  • Looking so good, excellent progress!
  • The peel has already been mentioned, and I agree,
    additionally..
    I'm really liking that tonal variation in the board/batton on the roof, very
    nicely done, subtle and natural, great.

Karl.A
  • Looking absolutely great!!!