visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine/My new Sierra West Layout

Comments

• Congratulations on the upcoming retirement.
  • Phil. I wish you good health for many years. Oh by the way you will work more after you retire than you do now.........Carl............
  • Oh by the way you will work more after you retire than you do now.........Carl............

Hah! I was thinking the same thing...

• Thank you for all your well wishes, I think?? More work?? Maybe I should stay?? Phil
  • And how time flies when your having fun!
  • That's right Steve!! BTW I ordered those lights from Dave's Decals. I mentioned that you referred me to the site. Phil
  • Congrats Phil. Good for you.
  • I echo Joel's sentiments word for word!
  • Thanks again for your well wishes. Phil
  • IMG_1666

Guess who's back!! It's been a year since I last posted. Sorry, but I've been a bit busy. As you know, I decided to retire at the end of the year. That happened, but I also decided to move again to be closer to kids and grand kids. Therefore, I moved to Northwest Arkansas. Now that I am settled and staying at home due to the pandemic, it's time to start modeling again. I will be posting progress pictures soon.

BTW, I had to break down my layout. I'm super bummed about it and it was very hard to undo all the work I did over the past three years. I'm not going to have a layout in my new home, but I will concentrate, like a lot of you, on making dioramas. I will display the dioramas, but my goal is to give each diorama to a family member or friend. Like an oil painting, each diorama will be a part of my legacy and hopefully will live on well past my lifetime.

I plan to catch up on your postings soon. It's great to be back. Phil
  • Glad to see you back and settled into your new home Phil!
  • Phil good luck in your new adventure in life!!

Jerry
  • Good to hear your ‘voice’ again...welcome back
    Terry
  • Glad you are back in the bench seat. I semi retired in December as well and due to the pandemic, I obviously can't be looking for part time work either so lots more modeling time.
  • Congratulations on retirement. Welcome back.
  • Welcome back Phil, looking forward to following your work again.
  • Phil,

Retirement is awesome. After I retired I continually asked myself how I ever got anything done after work hours. I had one of those half day jobs, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, with weekends doing yard work.

Hope you get a few hours a day working on modeling. Like you, I gave up an HO scale layout before my retirement move from Chicago to Tucson. I also made the switch from HO scale to O-Scale Proto 48 modeling.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Welcome back Phil. After retirement we moved from Chicago area to southwest MO. Spend my days either modeling or watching our 3 yr old grandson. Both are a real joy!
  • Phil, so nice to see you back. I'm looking forward to seeing the dio's you build. I always enjoy your great modeling. Enjoy your retirement and modeling. I think your plans for the completed dio's is an exceptional idea. I am sure your family members and friends will appreciate them a great deal.

Geezerbill
  • Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It's good to be back. I started back on my mine build. When I left it, I was in the process of building the walls to the hoist house. Brett's instructions were great as well as Bill's instruction, who did the official build.

IMG_1687

It's been awhile, so I need to build back up my crafting skills. However, as they say, practice makes perfect.

Phil
  • Like a bicycle, they come back quickly. Those walls look great. The peeling paint is great and I know it is more difficult in darker colors. Well done.
  • Walls look great! Really like the colors.
  • Thanks guys. I'm working on the floor to the hoist house now. I re-reviewed Ken Karn's grunge tutorial for some pointers and will use them. Then it's on to planning the layout. I'm going to expand the footprint of this diorama so I can put in some additional scenery.
  • Looks great Phil and use as much sorted and dirty information from me as you wish! lol. I will thusly deny it all!
  • Finished the floor to the hoist house.
    IMG_1688

I used some of Ken's "grunge" techniques on each plank. Rounding the edges does bring out the contrast.

IMG_1689

I darkened the final floor with mineral spirits. My thought was that floors in a hoist house would be very soiled, greasy and grimy.

Next will be determining the size of the final layout. Phil
  • Phil, it looks great. Yes, the floor should have ground in dirt here. Rick
  • Good suggestion. I'll do this when I'm ready to place the equipment and castings. Phil
  • Now the real fun begins and my imagination takes over to make this my unique build. I am expanding the build from 7" x 13" to 14" x 19 1/2". This gives me a chance to add some scenery, which is my specialty. Since I can't have a layout, I might as well feed my scenery appetite with these dioramas.

I think I'm going to make my mine a gold mine. Most gold mines are located in more mountainous areas.

old gold mine

My mine will be located at the base of these mountains near the foothills, so the terrain will be rocky and the surface not anywhere close to level. Of course, I'm going to cheat a bit by making sure the central points of this build are on level ground so everything fits together.

I started by cutting a 3/4" piece of high quality plywood and put a 1/2" layer of foam on top. The plywood gives me stability while the foam give me the ability to contour a bit. However, most of my hilly terrain will be by means of casted rocks. More on that later.

Once I glued the plywood and foam together, I taped Brett's template where I wanted the mine to be located on the diorama. Even though the diorama will be bigger, I wanted to make sure the structures were closer to the front so observers will be able to see the amazing details these SW kits bring.
    IMG_1690

I then used a pushpin to locate the corners of every feature and mark the other very important lines. I then removed the template and literally connected the dots.
    IMG_1691

It was really easy. I then placed my finished structures on the base to make sure my drawing was accurate. As you can see, it was. IMG_1692

Thanks for following. Phil
  • Great start on the diorama. This will be fun to follow. Rick
  • Around Tucson there are still small tailing dumps quite visible in some very remote areas of the mountains.
    Pretty cool to see and imagine the miners hauling their rare finds down switchback trails to town.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ