visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine/My new Sierra West Layout

Comments

• Good suggestion about the waterway. I wasn’t sure how to do it. I’ll give it some thought. Phil
  • Phil. A little Gloss Medium and you can make the water look like it is moving over a few rocks and small stones.
    Just a thought .............Carl.............
  • Phil, you could do it with Mod Poge.
  • Carl and Steve, I tried Modge Podge, bit you can’t see it. I guess I need to dry brush in a little white. Phil
  • Since I returned to Spokane I had a chance to work on the mine. I finally finished the tipple house and ore chutes. See below. I really struggled with the metal roof. I tried the priming and oven, but I was still getting areas of bright silver. I guess I didn't prime it enough. I ended up redoing it and brushing on the primer. Next up is the headframe, which will have to wait until I get back to Spokane. I'm headed back to Texas where I'm going to work on the next phase of my layout - the elevated hill where the timber cutting will happen. Thanks for following.

IMG_0867
    IMG_0868
    IMG_0869
    IMG_0870
    IMG_0872
  • That's looking great Phil. The wood colours are superb and now the fading streaking rust tops it off very well. Nice tidy construction too !!

Karl.A
  • Hey Phil, nice job.
  • Looking good, Phil...you need to figure out how to do modeling on the plane between TX and Seattle ;-))
    Terry
  • Thanks all. Terry, Alaska Airlines was just not feeling the love when I pulled out my exacto knife and started modeling on my last flight. It also could have been when I sprayed dullcote over some laser cut doors. Who knew they would be so sensitive. I guess I'm relegated to my Texas and Washington work spaces. Phil
  • Phil, great looking tipple. I especially like the finish on the roof, very nicely modeled!
    Mike
  • Fantastic Phil! I love the wood coloring and weathering, very nicely done throughout.
  • Phil,

Awesome modeling and photos. Looking forward to your next installments.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Beautiful work Phil.
  • Looks amazing
  • Very well don. Color of the wood is really good. Nice work !
  • The extra work paid off. Whole thing looks very nice.
  • Phil, The siding color really looks great! Nice combination with the timbers. Your roof turned out just fine.
  • Phil,

Earlier Phil said..."Alaska Airlines was just not feeling the love when I pulled out my exacto knife and started modeling on my last flight. It also could have been when I sprayed dullcote over some laser cut doors. Who knew they would be so sensitive. "

Thought by now that the airlines would have a special port for modelers to plug in their Dremel tools and paint spray guns.

Later, Dave S.
  • Dave_S said:

Thought by now that the airlines would have a special port for modelers to plug in their Dremel tools and paint spray guns.

Later, Dave S.

Now that would be something!

Mine looks wonderful Phil, love the roof.

• Thanks all. Brett, you instructions on the roof were great, especially the part about not overthinking it. I did over think it and I ended up with a do over. Sometimes you just have to follow the instructions without question. Trust the wizard!! Phil
  • All, there are definite advantages to traveling between Texas (site of the layout) and Washington (crafting table). When I'm in Texas, I concentrate on the layout. When I'm in Washington, I can concentrate on modeling.

During my last stint in Texas, I designed and built the base of what will be my timber cutting area. Once you cross the trestle bridge, you enter into this area which will be a reversing loop around a hill. As you can see, I started the slope work.

IMG_0878
    IMG_0881

Last Thursday, I made it back to a very frigid Spokane. The good part about foul weather is it allows you more time to model. I got real busy building the head frame for the mine. The cutting jigs were a life saver and saved me a lot of time.

IMG_0889

Next up is the Sheave and Skip Assembly. Thanks for stopping by. Phil
  • Is the hidden track accessable from underneath?
  • Yes it is. I even put in a rechargeable light so I can see. It's tight, but I can recover lost cars and do track maintenance. Phil
  • Lights are very handy
  • I have finally finished the head frame except for some nbws that are on the way.

IMG_0903
    IMG_0904
    IMG_0905
    IMG_0906

Thanks for checking in. Phil
  • Great construction Phil, that looks fantastic.
    A suggestion?

Karl.A
  • Karl, absolutely.
  • Guys, I have finally taken the plunge and decided to retire at the end of 2019. Too many planes and being away from the family for me. I know it's not related to this forum but below is a picture of my business cards throughout the years. The great thing about retirement is more time in the train room and more time to build Sierra West kits.

IMG_0923

BTW Karl, I'm still waiting on your suggestion? Brett, thanks for the NBWs. I'm back in Spokane, so onward to the construction of the hoist house. Phil
  • Phil,

And everyday is Saturday when you retire.
  • Congrats! Enjoy all that free time! Well earned...