visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine/My new Sierra West Layout

Comments

• Looks well worn and grungy, nicely done. A good spot for the ground in dirt would be where the board ends meet. Serve to tone down the dark joint as well.
  • Awesome progress, glad you're back at the bench!
  • Wonderful looking build!

Jerry
  • Really great progress.
  • Progress Update - Railroad Ties

This is not one of my favorite things to do. I had to weather 60+ ties for two separate lines. For one line, which will be narrow gauge, I used smaller, lower profile ties. For the other, I used standard ties. I also wanted to follow Bill's suggestion (from the official build) of using various colored and weathered ties to emulate real tracks, which was a combination of new and older ties.

IMG_1697

Here is what I learned from graining 60+ ties. First, don't bear down when graining the tie. Second, let the tie dictate whether is has a lot of grain or very little. As you can see above, there is a lot of variance without me having to dictate how much I wanted. As a result, I decided to create three different weathering colors. The ties with the most grain would get a grey weathering to simulate an older tie. The ties with the least amount of grain would get the darkest weathering to simulate a new creosote tie.

IMG_1699

I believe it turned out pretty well.

IMG_1702

Here is the narrow gauge line with the smaller, older ties as well as the mine shaft.

Now that this is finished, it's time to work on the various castings. I'm excited about this because Brett put in a lot of very interesting mine castings. I just hope that I can do it justice. With this coming up, I had to get my paint booth in working order. Below is a booth I made with plywood and a bathroom vent and good lighting. I think it turned out well and it works!!!

IMG_1701

I hope you don't mind me droning on about my build. Most of the more active members of the forum understand what I described above and are masterful crafters, but I'm hoping the viewers who don't comment, and may be beginners, can learn something from my experience. That's how I have learned. Let me know if you do. Thanks. Phil
  • You are making me want to get an airbrush
  • In my last move, I had to give up a good paint booth. I am glad you are going into more detail. Many assume more experience than some members may have. Rick
  • As a beginner I can tell you I definitely appreciate the detailed posts. Really helpful.
  • Thanks guys for your positive vote for more detail. Speaking of that, I'm in the middle of applying paint to all the castings. I prefer to airbrush the paint because I have better control and there is little danger of spraying on too much paint. The problem I faced was that I didn't have any flat black airbrush paint. I solved that by spraying rattle can flat black into the airbrush jar and capturing the flat black paint. I just made sure I didn't apply full pressure to the rattle can knob. Also, I used a rag to prevent splatters. It's amazing how little paint I needed to spray all the castings that needed black. When you use a rattle can, there is a lot of waste. Also, you don't have to spend a lot of money on an airbrush. I got mine with the compressor from Harbor Freight for about $90. It works great. Phil
  • I finished the boiler. As for weathering, I followed Bill's suggestions in his official build.

IMG_1714 (2)
    BTW, it was hard to photograph. The slight rust on the edges is not a dramatic as it looks. Also, the whiting of the side can be seen better live. Phil
  • Looks very natural.
  • Indeed it does. Nice work Phil.
  • Outstanding Phil. Weathering is so well done.
  • Thanks all. With Bill's step-by-step guide to weathering, you can't go wrong. Phil
  • Update: Double Cylinder Mine Hoist

What a challenge to build this hoist!!! I must have re-glued the flanges a million times because I kept knocking them off. So much for delicate movements. However, all of this effort produced a really neat-looking hoist that will add so much to this build.
    IMG_1745
    IMG_1748
    IMG_1749

I want to thank Brett for developing such a realistic hoist and Bill for giving additional details and shortcuts (Bill, your suggestion for gluing the straps first saved a lot of time and trouble). That's why we have official builds. Thanks for following. Phil
  • Definitely worth the effort. Looks fantastic. Rick
  • I really like the paint job on it.
  • for sure!
    is that part of the kit?
  • Thanks. Yes, this is part of the kit. Unbelievable, isn't it? Phil
  • Fine job you did there !!
  • brownbr said:

You are making me want to get an airbrush

me too.

• Love the faded chipped paint. Looks great.
  • That is impressive!
  • Beautiful work Phil! That boiler and hoist are just amazing. The entire build is top shelf and your best work...well done.
  • Welcome back Ken. Did they convert you to a respiratory therapist yet??? I know you've been busy. Phil
  • Nope, those old days are gone I believe!
  • Update: Hoist House

I haven't posted in a while because I have been working on the various casting and such. Sometimes it is intimidating to do these, but if you take your time, the results are very satisfying and one of the principal reasons why we buy Brett's kits.

I have assembled all four walls to the hoist house. See below. Pardon my photography. I'm using my Iphone because I'm too lazy to get the good camera out.

IMG_1831
    IMG_1832
    IMG_1833
    IMG_1834
    IMG_1835
    IMG_1836

Those of you who know the mine will see that I have made a few changes to the side walls. You also know that I worked for a mining company. After I reviewed all of the MSHA regulations, studied the ergonomic patterns of mine workers and what is safer for them, I decided that the main opening should be closer to the work bench. This provides better light and access to the tools and supplies they need to safely work on the mine. Also, the proposed large opening near the hoist would present an overly unsafe hazard for the workers since there are no guards around the hoist. Finally, on the other side, the door should be closer to the blower since I want the space on the other side to be adequate to store the necessary personal protective equipment for the mine workers

Aw shucks!! I can't fool you guys. I mistakenly glued the siding on the wrong side of both side walls and didn't notice the problem until I was ready to glue the sides together. What a rookie mistake!!! I thought about it for a while and I just couldn't back up and redo both side walls. Therefore, I settled on the walls as they are. However, I believe I'll stick to the back story above in case anyone asks. How's that for covering up a huge mistake!!! Phil
  • Confession is good for the soul, but I would have never known since I haven't done this kit. It looks great.

Rick
  • Wow Phil, really looks good. Construction appears plumb and solid. That last picture really tells the story of what you have accomplished here...terrific stuff...Ken
  • Very nice looking. And the story is cool too. :-)