visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to the New Member Forum!

Comments

• Thanks for the comments. The "real" wood is mostly sage twigs, some juniper root, and junk found in the yard. I'm never finished with those roofs, they need to all be the same but different. Maybe I'll start a build thread with the next kit, it's something I should do so I can remember what color I painted a figure! I have some two toned dudes on the paint table. This is fun work.
  • Looking good Carl. Thanks for sharing. I try to take notes of colors I've used in the back of the manual so I don't forget.
  • Hey Carl

That is some nice looking work there. We would love to see some more.
  • I agree Carl, wow, that's some excellent work! Fun to look at. I would also welcome a construction thread.
  • Thanks all. I'm in the process of finishing a couple of rolling stock kits and putting the last touches on the rigging shed. I think a construction thread on the tool shed could be fun. I plan on having it in okay condition overall but peeling white paint . I'm going to take a few pictures of peeling paint on some fences in the old part of my little town and see if I can replicate that look.
  • Hi I am Chuck and live in southern Ontario. Really enjoy scratcbuilding and building craftsman kits both in HO and O (0N30) and have been doing so for 20+ years. Now reading and rereading the instructions on my first of Brett's kits. Wow lots to digest as his techniques are different than I am used to. Getting ready to jump in.
  • Have fun Chuck. No better kits and instructions....Anywhere! And welcome to this great group.

Bill
  • Welcome Chuck! So glad to have you posting on the forum. I think I know which kit you are getting ready to build... be sure to let everyone know what you are building and how its going! Maybe even a few pics! That would be awesome.
  • Hey Chuck, welcome to the forum. Would like to see some pictures of you work when you have a chance.
  • Welcome Chuck. I encourage you to post your build. It's the best way to get help and feedback. Phil
  • Welcome to the forum Chuck
  • edited November 2016
    Chuck, welcome to the SWSM fraternity! Great that you are posting here and look forward to hearing about your upcoming build...you must let us know what kit your working on...that's the rule.

SWSM New Kit Instructions...Step one...look over the unopened box for awhile. Step two...get your favorite beverage and open box in your favorite room, lock door behind you. Step three...carefully, and without giggling if possible (reason for locked door), open box and carefully remove contents, study contents including aromas wafting from within. Touch and handle castings so they know who's boss pending detailing. Put all contents back except for the manual, you will need to repeat this step of removing contents and putting it back numerous times before beginning construction. Step four...read and study manual, take notes etc...imagine what your diorama will look like...wonderful of course...and I think this is where you are right now...!

Kidding aside, SWSM kits are unquestionably the best available both in concept and quality. Welcome again...Ken

• KKarns said:

Touch and handle castings so they know who's boss pending detailing...

That's the quote of the year!!!!
  • Thought you might like that one...Ken
  • edited November 2016
    This too is a classic quote: "get your favorite beverage and open box in your favorite room, lock door behind you."

So I assume it's just implied that I need to bring along the Kleenex and Hand Cream too...
  • Well to answer your question, I am working on the rigging shed first. Why you ask? I am in the final stages of finishing a scratch build log unloader with steam donkey. It was given 2nd place in judged structures at last years Niagara Frontier Division convention contest room. In the judges comments they suggested that more details were needed. So the log unloader/steam donkey has lots of cable. The rigging shed has lots of cable spools. So I shall rob Peter to pay Paul when the log unloader is judged again.
    The resin details are now primed and tooth picks are attached. Today pewter details will be treated. More rereading of the manual on the siding and framing. Maybe try finishing some barrels.
  • Makes good sense Chuck.
  • I have returned to the hobby after over ten years away. What fanned the embers was innocent enough. My wife and I have downsized and in the process I came across two scratchbuilt structures I have saved for over twenty years.

One is Lloyd Geibner's March 1955 Mill that initially inspired George Sellios. The other is a small leaning, falling apart structure from a Wayne Wesolowski article from the mid-80's in MR. Both were noted in George's book on the FSM.

Years of reading/collecting the Gazette have given me an appreciation for fine model building and, quite frankly, I all of a sudden miss it.

I've ordered O'Neill's in HO and the Deuling Shacks in O from Brett. He was also kind enough to spend quite some time in discussion with me when I ordered O'Neill's.

I have spent a few weeks lurking on here and figured I would make an introduction. Am slowly rebuilding my modeling tools and materials.

My wife and I have recently moved to Loudon, NH after many years in Dunbarton, both near Concord.

Thanks to all of you for the fine modeling and maintaining what seems to be a very uplifting forum.

George Welch
    Loudon, NH
  • edited November 2016
    Welcome George, really nice to hear from you and hope you become a regular on the forum. Of course I'm partial to O'Neills, so glad to hear your getting that one for sure and the Dueling Shacks are also terrific builds. Look forward to seeing more of you here...Ken
  • Hi George. Hope you become a regular participant in the forum. O'Neill's is fun to build and the instructions are packed with the latest techniques. When you start building hopefully you will share your progress.

Mitch
  • Hi Mitch and Ken - thank you for the good wishes and the inspirational modeling. I will plan to share, but understand that I am a s-l-o-w modeler
  • Welcome George. So glad you're here and please post away! Slow is good. Well fast is good too. Having fun is what matters!
  • Thanks Brett! Looking forward to the kits.
  • Welcome aboard Georgie! Cant wait to see your first build photos!

Alan
  • Thanks very much, Alan!
  • Welcome George! O'Neills is a great kit to get back into the hobby. You'll pick up all the newer techniques you can build on for future models. Also because it's a new kit it doesn't reference paints and stains that are no longer available. We'd love to see pictures of your progress.

-Steve
  • Thanks Steve and thanks for the paint color help via email
  • No problem George glad I could help.
  • Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I reside in Northeast Kansas. Next spring I'm starting my G-Scale railroad, actually 1:20.3 scale. Been looking for sawmill ideas which led me here. Unfortunately SW's kits aren't in my scale or designed for outdoor use. However I hope to draw inspiration and some help from you guys and this forum in my mill design. Thanks everyone.
  • Welcome Chris. Lots of good info on this forum, We'd love to see pictures of your G scale sawmill progress