visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to the New Member Forum!

Comments

• Thanks Karl.
  • Welcome Ed. Great choice for your first kit. This forum is full of incredible modelers and a great resource for tips and tricks. Please share your progress as you work through O'Neills.

-Steve
  • Hi Ed, glad to hear you'll be hanging out here from now on. You picked a great kit to your first SWSM build, you'll really enjoy working through O'Neills. Once again, welcome aboard...Ken
  • Welcome aboard Ed.

Bryan
  • Thank you all. Looking forward to spending more time here.
  • As I left a question about nail holes earlier, I saw this thread and it seemed appropriate to introduce myself. My name is Mark Gietz, I live in Spokane Valley, Washington. I've been researching and designing a layout based on the Laramie, North Park, and Western RR that ran out of Laramie, WY.
    The SierraWest structures really fit in well with the railroad and I appreciate the detail and quality of Brett's kits. This forum as well is one of the reasons I guess I'm hooked. I am currently getting my 12' x 30' train room in my new house ready for the layout that will include a good number of SWSM kits, (O'Neils, Freight House, Duluth, Wood Cutter, Twin Mills, Logging Camp Essentials, Loco and Service Shop, and sheds along the way). One thing I really appreciate about SWSM is each of Brett's kits tell a story all their own.
    Brett has been a great help getting me through the 12-step program to loosen up from being an engineer and have fun.
    Thanks for being here guys. Being included is an honor.

Mark
  • mgietz said:

Brett has been a great help getting me through the 12-step program to loosen up from being an engineer and have fun.

Mark

Hah! Proves you have completed the program with honors!!!!

• Official welcome there Mark...as I mention to all new forum members...you found the right place! Great to have you here...Ken
  • edited April 2017
    Great to have you with us Mark, as Ken says, you have definitely found the right place...

The best kits...
    The best details...
    The best manuals...
    The best quality all round...
    The best manufacturer support...

and some of the best modellers are here to freely give you the best advice, guidance and support (if you need them).

Great to have you join us, we look forward to your participation and your builds, you have a beautiful selection of kits for us all to join in with.

Karl.A
  • Mark, it's a small world. I lived in Spokane Valley, Washington before I moved to Arkansas and then Texas. That's where I got my start in model railroading. There is a great railroad club there - Evergreen. Here is their website http://evergreenrr.blogspot.com/

Jerry Quinn is a great guy. They know all about Sierra West kits because of me and will give you the support you need. Phil
  • Hi Phil,
    Yes it is a small world. I get Jerry's emails on updates on the club and know a couple of other members.
    Thanks for the welcome. It is great to be part of this group.
  • Welcome Mark,
    This is a great place to model. Great kits to start with and stellar support and advice.
  • i've been a member here since november 2013, and just noticed this thread!
    so here's my tale of woe:
    in 1996 i was diagnosed with a case of remitting/relapsing ms. that said, i am one of the lucky ones. i've only experienced three exacerbations since being diagnosed. it kinda put a damper on my favorite hobby, playing lead guitar in a rock band. I still do to this day, but my dexterity on my right side has been reduced by about 35%, so my guitar playing skills aren't what they used to be. but i plug along, gluing my guitar picks to my thumb and forefinger so i don't drop them, because i can't feel it in my hand.

i got into model railroading to give me something to do with my two sons, but they showed zero interest so now i do it for myself (the little rats!)
    i modeled in N scale for ten years and literally built hundreds of tiny little n scale structures. i belong to another forum, and for years i read about how great swsm kits were (especially the details!), so i decided that i had to try one. i bought the dueling shacks, and quite literally, after seeing the kit and reading the manual, i sold all of my n scale stuff and jumped into O scale with both feet. i love these kits.
    after the shacks i tried my hand at the woodcutter's shack and was so impressed with the techniques that i saved my money and bought o'neill's. that's what's on my bench now. i just finished the first wall of the main building.
    my only regret is finding swsm too late to be able to get some of the classics that have been retired.
  • Kebmo, nice to hear about you and your determination to keep going. Really nice to have you along with the group of great fellows here. Enjoying your build thread!!

Geezerbill
  • Great having you here Kevin...and good for you on the medical front!
  • edited September 2017
    Hi guys, new to this site, just bought the HO Twinsaw mill, my name is Alex, I live near Johannesburg, South Africa, I am 57 and have been building models since I was 7, mainly plastic kits, started off with 1/72 scale planes, but for the last 25 years, have been building 1/12 and 1/8 cars and 1/6 bikes, started semi scratch building dioramas a few years ago, have built a 1/18 Formula 1 pit stop and later a wooden barn with a lot of clutter, I am impressed how some of you age the Sierra models you build, glad to be here, most enjoyable
  • The 2 dioramas I mentioned
  • both diorama's have L.E.D. lights in them, even the red light on the rear of the F1 car flashes
  • Welcome to the forum Alex, some definitely good modeling as an introduction.
    You are going to enjoy it here, lots of great modeling and modelers.

Looking forward to your participation on the forum threads and seeing your Twin Mills come together, the most amazing kit ever produced.

Wes is also from SA.

Enjoy,
    Karl.A

• Hi Karl, I thought Wes was also from SA. when he mentioned the exchange rate, could only be here at 13 to$1
  • Great to have you on our forum Alex, welcome!
  • Welcome Alex, nice to have you here.
  • Welcome Alex

Nice to see another South African on board. Couldnt have asked for a nicer bunch than the guys on here. Their work will truly blow you away.
  • Hi All. I do a little modelling ( miniatures, not body poses ) in my spare time. Take the odd photo for my little web site. Like chasing women ( as they keep running away from me ). Hang out occasionally, with blokes in orange shirts . I talk funny ( Australian ). Look forward to sharing ideas with you guys, worldwide. Regards Mario Rapinett from Downunder