visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• I like the colours Michael
  • Thanks Michael, one of those...not sure how it will look until it's done kind of things. I may do some more weather streaking after its in place.
  • Catch up post here. Didn't want anyone not working up O'Neills to assume the Upper Deck and Landing were done from my previous update. I had not gotten the support structures installed yet...here is a couple quick shots of the those structures installed...

P7290014

As the morning fog begins to lift...no it's my camera going from air conditioning to 80% humidity outside!

P7290015
  • What the heck...couldn't resist a quick mock up shot of O'Neills main buildings, staged of course...gettin there...P7290017
  • oh yeah..... looking mighty fine!!!!
  • Looks great Ken. The outdoor shots are fantastic. Shingles look great.

-Steve
  • Wow...awesome dude!
  • Man, that is a fantastic shot. You are killing it Ken. Some of the best work I have ever seen.
  • Brett, thanks and at this stage I'm getting a real "feel" for how things are going to come together. I'm close to getting to that darn Oil Tank that I have been so anxious to get my hands on since the beginning!

Appreciate that Steve and I try and get images outside when possible.

Thanks Alan, it's getting there.

Spoke to Mike E. and we both agree, this is such a great kit and so much fun to work up. I particularly like how there are three distinct building components; Tower, Main Building, and Welding Shop. You get to work each one up rather separately but THEN....you start to assemble the components that tie all three together and that's when you get that eureka moment of "wow, this is going to be an awesome diorama".
  • edited July 2016
    Dustin, there you are buddy...missed your conversation of late and really nice hearing from you. To weird, I was just posting the above response and yours came in 1 minute earlier...8:06 vs 8:07...what the heck are we doing up so early on a Saturday morning!

Well that's a really nice thing to say, and appreciate it. Working hard to do this special kit of Brett's justice. A kit that is dubbed a tribute to someone such as Kevin, who I unfortunately did not have the pleasure of meeting, commands the utmost respect and I think of that often while I'm working. Brett did a marvelous job choosing this kit to dedicate to his good friend...Kevin O'Neill.
  • Ken, that last shot is awesome. I wish I had the opportunity to met Kevin too. I think your build would make Kevin very proud!!!

Jim
  • Well hey Jim, nice hearing from you. Appreciate your thoughts on the last picture...kind of a mood shot of sorts. We can only hope folks talk about us so favorably...ken
  • edited July 2016
    The Tower Roof is complete with the final (or is it finial) and exhaust stack. I was going for a old weathered copper look on the final (Yup, it's finial) Blackened to casting after installing my steel pin in the bottom (see detailing castings). I then dusted the casting with pale green chalk then a light dusting with black to dirty it up a bit then blew it excess off. Roof is not glued to the Tower yet.

P7310014

P7310015

P7310016

P7310025

Here is the roof card for the Welding Shop. You will notice that I'm leaning towards the darker color palate for my build here particularly on the Tower and Shop roofs.
  • Here's another shot...trying to get the slight green coppery tarnish color to show up better...maybe this one...

P7310014
  • I am always and early riser. I am building as of late though, just not what I what I would like to be. My club asked for something to be built. I'll email a pic when its done if you want. LOTS!! of nasty PLASTIC!!

Tower roof looks great as well. Love the tarnish. Spot on.
  • Really love the finial. excellent finish and attention to detail...
  • Thanks Brett, this wonderful kit exudes so much character and charm it literally sucks the best work out of any modeler. All the builds of this kit I have seen are just splendid.

Ahh, Dustin...you're caving into the peer pressure!...would love to see it. I get up early every day as well, hate sleeping in.

Thanks for your thoughts on the tarnish effect on the finial. Had to mess with it a bit but I'm happy with the effect of tarnished brass...Ken
  • Working up the Main Building Drive Under Canopy Roof. As per the Loading Dock Overhang, Tar papered the wood framed roof. Added detailed corrugated, additional pieces of tar paper and mixed grimy black with some white Elmers to create the seam sealer and then dull downed the sheen with chalks. Created the streaking by loading up a small detail brush with chalk and tapping over the paper then using the detail brush draw the small blob down the roof. Once roof is installed may add some more minor detailing. Note the accumulation of dirt and debris on the inside edge of the angled pieces of wood.

P8030016

P8030018
  • Great Ken and you keep giving me more ideas from your perfection modelling. Thanks Michael
  • edited August 2016
    Hey Kenny, what process did you use to weather the panels, they look great? Also, to get the frayed look on the tar paper did you scrape the edges with a razor blade?

Alan
  • Ken,
    You are the master of dull and dry finishes. That roof is beautifully weathered. I have been following your build as I do mine. Any additional tips you can pass along for this look?

Mitch
  • Hi Ken

Love the finial. Pretty much aced the old copper look in my opinion. That roof looks ridiculously good too.
  • edited August 2016
    MitchN said:

Ken,
    You are the master of dull and dry finishes.

Yeah, I think that about sums it up perfectly...

• Michael, no problem...I don't want to just post everything I'm doing step-by-step unless I get a particular question, as illustrated here, as I am following the manual with only minimal personal touches such as color tones, amount of weathering, etc...I also don't want to give away all the methods used in the manual as that will ruin the fun for those contemplating, getting ready to, and currently working up O'Neills Fabrication.

Alan, the panels are weathered by priming with a base color. I wanted a bit darker panel in the end so I primed with brown rather than grey. Then a good weathering with the various chalks. I measured the tar paper then used a nice thin metal straight edge to "tear" the paper rather than cut leaving a slight jagged edge. If there was too much ragged edge I carefully trimmed the excess with a pair of scissors. Of course this leaves a white edge so I used a small detail brush and ran a light coat of AI over the edge letting it soak in more or less depending on the look I want.

Well thanks Mitch...but I'm a little disappointed you didn't add grungy and oily!
    I weathered this roof a bit more with the chalks than others as I have been going with a bit more dark colors for my roofs on O'Neills and when I staged this roof it seemed a bit light compared to the Tower and Main Building and I know my Drive Through canopy with be the darker corrugated panels as well. So...I went back to the bench and used some additional browns and grey chalk to darken it up. All the chalk was applied from the top down and in a sweeping motion down creating the slight streaking effect. This was done after all the paper and corrugated was put in place. I then didn't particularly care for the stark edges of the corrugated I was getting so I used the colored Elmers to simulate joint caulking. This quiteted down the bold edges I was seeing. There are still a few but most are on the very bottom side of the pieces where you wouldn't need any caulk. The AI used previously gave some subtile color changes along the edges. I didn't want to add any more details until the roof is in place as I like to access the scene and see what will fit in and look right with the entire diorama.

Sorry for such a lengthy response Mitch.

Thanks Wes I was very happy with how that turned out. Small detail that probably won't get noticed but I know it's there. These wonderful roofs are one of those things I just need to take a deep breath and have at it. I always get something a bit different than I envisioned going into it.

Brett, Won't be happy until oily and grungy are added...I'll work on that...

• I decided to throw out a quick shot to further illustrate what meant by my color choices on the roofs of O'Neills are towards the darker side. Notice that all the roofs somewhat blend and compliment each other and none of them jump out compared to any other. That was my goal and what I like and doesn't mean that some highly contrasting roofs wouldn't look good. Very different textures, which is the genius of Brett's kits, but similar color tones.

P8040018
  • The tonal qualities are very similar between the shingles and tarpaper/corrugated roofing materials. Even compared to the ribbed aluminum. Colors vary greatly, but they look like they were exposed to the elements and aged together, at the same rate. Very convincing stuff there oh grunge master...
  • Thanks much for your take on it, and eloquently put...yea that's what I meant what Brett said! All right...I got a nod for grunge...now I need an "oily", maybe on the O'Neills tank.

Image above was a quick indoor shot just to illustrate the color tone similarity but very different textures...Ken

• Finished up the Drive Through Support components and couldn't resist taking a few shots of the splendid support structure Brett came up with here. I love the look of the tiered supports and the bracing, gives such a vintage timeless feel to it. I'll be putting on the corrugated roof covering soon and then on to the Tower Dock and Oil Tank components...ah yes, the Oil Tank!

P8070014
    Notice the contact damage to the front left post beam.

P8070015

P8070016

P8070020
    P8070024