visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Bluesky Repair Shed

12346»

Comments

• Thanks for kind comments! one more barrel with the chipping medium fro vallejo
  • tiny bit more work. I'm supposed to be painting my daughter's bedroom today- sped through that so got to do a bit of modelling. Finally finished fence (ignore junk lying around). Now i get to build the gate!:
    The two smudges on the roof are a goof. I'm going to have to cover those. Below is the almost-finished pump and wood chopping area:
  • Adding ties/track. There will be a wheel stop at the gate. I place the track very near the fence so this would be necessary to get tractors into the yard (in theory). I like the ersatz gravel stop from the tractor repair shed SW kit, or could be timbers:

final position of boats:

I'll be offline (literally) for a month or two. Adopting another child out of Asia. Have fun modelling over the summer!
  • BTW I used the stencils from the Bluesky kit for the one board in the first photo. I realize I also forgot nail holes in the front fence portion. D'oh! Oh well, they aren't that visible anyway…

And that one yellow drum in the second photo. Yeah - you know I really liked it and all… but it wasn't right. This is something the SW (Brett) instructions always note, and other modellers comment on too. Bright colours, even if prototypically right, don't necessarily look right. I black-washed the drum. There - done with it.

On explanation is that we look at colours through an atmosphere. Some modelling paint companies deliberately "grey out" their paint to look like it's being viewed at a certain distance. Things should always look more faded than we think. But who knows…

BTW metal gate needs to be rusted up yet. Not glued down yet…
  • Great update James, everything is really coming together well, a terrific scene.
    Nice work on the boats.

Karl.A
  • Good call on toning down the yellow drum, colours, even bright ones such as yellow are very usable. They just need to be treated with care...

Karl.A
  • thanks Karl! The drum feels right now… interesting - someone needs to write a book on colour and modelling… or post something everyone can download for free. It's been done I know. But the scientific theory behind colouring and scale dioramas would be cool…
  • I know Brett comments allot on this. Few others do really…
  • That's why Brett's kits and instructions are the best, you get complete guidance in every aspect of the modelling, not just a diagram on how to glue the walls together.

Karl.A
  • … yep..
    also this stuff, other than the tractors and the benches, hasn't been "chalked" for the most part yet either. That will help tone down/ blend things too of course. In retrospect, I'll probably find that some things/details should have been chalked ahead of time (i.e. before gluing down).
  • After 1/2 a year ..... HINGES!
  • Gate looks terrific James! Those must be some hinges....:) Ken
  • Thanks Ken- at this rate the universe will have collapsed on itself by the time I get to finishing...!
  • Boy that gate looks fantastic!
  • yes- it still lives. I've been building a fantasy themed dio for a competition but now need to get back to the "real world". I built myself a crazy-azz static applicator and laid down some grass. Perhaps too thick but can be modified and still need to add tufts, dirt around edge of path and so on.
  • Looks great James! That's one technique I haven't tried but should...fence and upturned boat look great. Path transition looks really good, very well done...Ken
  • Glad to see you back at it.
  • thanks guys. when I get next bit done I'll also post a picture of the grass applicator too. it's about as dangerous as it looks... but it works!