visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Bluesky Repair Shed

Comments

• second photo didn't post for some reason - here it is:
  • Really like lighting!!

Great job James.

Marty
  • Sweet effect James, the lighting is really nice as is the build. You may need to give some attention to your foreground clutter!
  • James, you are capturing the exact look that this building needs and the one I am going for as well.

I asked James if it was OK for me to join in his build and he graciously agreed. I have the walls put together and will post pics soon.
  • As promised, I took a couple of snapshots. Very humble beginnings.imageimageimage
  • Great work, James. I really like that beat-up sun bleached color that you have for your exterior walls. I also LOVE those night time shots highlighting the interior. They're very convincing.
    Any chance we can see some more but a little closer?

Bill
  • The lighting really shows off the tremendous detailing work you have done on the interior James, the shadows, highlights and added visibility are great.

As Ken said, the foreground detailing needs some refinement. It reminds me of my modelling area. On my desk there is a little oasis of everything perfectly in place surrounded by a much larger area of complete disarray and tornado like destruction.

Glad to see I'm not alone, great work.

Karl.A
  • Great to see u on board Brian - looks great! The laser cut slotted frame makes assembly of what is a delicate wall A fast assemble.

I work on the dinig room table at the moment so the base is also my work space- I cut, paint, and glue on it! The clutter on the ground is all temporary, I still need to put down the final layer of dirt - once done, I'll have to be more careful ie use a proper modelling surface!

Finished the dormers so will post soon, I'll need to start using a real camera to get closer shots- The iPhone is just too easy though ....
  • A flurry of activity - here are dormers. I threw in the tractors for the shot- they aren't quite finished yet, and not necessarily where they'd be placed. For the dormers, I used super thin real glass by PBL. Once you get used to it, real glass is great I find- very easy to snap. And finger prints clean off easily! I accidentally got super glue on one pane on the right dormer after the sash was installed - D'oh - if I can't cover it up I'll "board it up". The roof and dormers will be covered in metal siding of course.
  • photo didn't post so here's another attempt:
  • looking at the photo - the glass isn't "frosted" - that's just the light from my dining room window. They'd be dusted up real good later of course….
  • James stunning work. I think you just proved my point about lighting these kits. It adds so much and shows off the interior. You may want to add a small resistor to tone down the light slightly for even more realism but the effect is awesome.
    Ken and Karl take note!
  • Yea, yea...I know Joel the lighting looks amazing. I'm willing to look at it the more I see these sweet builds lit up (well done James). Karl's old and a bit crusty so he may take a bit more prodding to come around! We'll see if that gets him stirred up...
  • edited March 2015
    Me, Old and crusty???? aint you old enough to be my...er.. much older brother ? anyways my last couple of builds have been wired for lights, thanks to the inspiration of impressive results shown here on the forum.
    Just wait Mr Karns, you shall see the light...
  • nice progress :) I really love this shed

DJ
  • Karl, Ok...maybe not so old but the crusty still fits! I'm probably going to regret not lighting my Loco Shop as I'm really moving along with a fully detailed interior. Keep us posted James on your wonderful progress and I agree a close up shot or two would be in order...the natives get restless with all that coolness that we just can't quite see....
  • I've been itching to build this tractor for a while so I figured why not start the details off with this one.image
  • Does it start with one or two cranks? Well done.

Marty
  • edited March 2015
    Can you post a few pics of how you configured your lights in the rafters? I model in HO so it may be a little different...but I'm trying to figure out what would look best...I'm lloking for the logistics of how you ran the wires/pipes...

Thanks!
    Alan
  • Ah crap- I was hoping no one wanted to see the wiring - it's a real hack job - but ok I'll take a photo - the challenge is making them demountable to change bulbs- if they ever burn out (LEDs). The bulbs are nano warm light LEDs wired to a battery- they are tiny but very bright
    - almost too bright. They can be painted to reduce glare. Hoods are Grantline.

Great work on the tractor Brian ! Really like the back wheels and the rusty muffler - the tractor was an easy build other than the steering column.....
  • Bryan that tractor is a real show stopper. Just aswell its in for a service. Looks like it needed it.
  • Bryan, going to be super diorama. Love rear wheels on that tractor, looks like it has dead grass and dirt dried stuck to it as it should...
  • a tiny bit more work - I say work- real work is getting in the way of my modelling! Added corrugated roofing. I know Brett's/ Karl's instructions suggest a not too rotted out roof, I couldn't help myself though. Well, I didn't break out the etchant here. I used Jax aluminum blackener with some sophisticated solutions streaking. the colours are not paint or chalk- they just came out that way. Not as good as etchant, but way easier.
  • James, what would I do with all those fine details in the shed? Just stare at it. Then you go and put a roof on it that is really cool. What's next?

Marty
  • thanks Marty - up next the boat (or boats) I think… or the fence….
  • and…... now I just realized I forgot to add the smoke jack for the shop heater (stove). I think the term is "D'oh!". I'll have to drill a hole for that...
  • Oh, you mean that old rusty non-functional heater that is yellow?
  • Yep- but I plan to make it functional - with a light inside it. more agonizing wiring...
  • That last photo is as real as it gets James. Wow, what fantastic modelling.
  • The shed looks incredible lit! Superb job...