visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Bluesky Repair Shed

Comments

• James, ok, you need to be committed! A light in that heater? Wow! What next, smoke out of the jack?

Marty
  • That looks fantastic.
  • thanks for all the kind comments! Believe me when I say I'm not really sure what I'm doing , but it is fun, which means whatever it is is easy! While I figure out the smoke jack (no smoke, because where there's smoke there's fire), I painted the boat. I have another boat i'm going to add to the scene too, with some oars, perhaps. Getting a bit crowded.
    Im actually building an F scale version of this scene too because I love it so much. I won't post pictures here except maybe at the end- whenever that will be.
  • The boat looks good. I was going to omit this item from my build but may reconsider that.

I've gotten started on the details...all gazillion of them. It's hard to believe how many were left over from building the main structure.

I'm currently working on improving my streaking rust technique. imageimageimage
  • The streaks look fantastic Bryan.
    The streak definition that you have achieved is something I need to put more time into... maybe on the next build....
    Definitely something I need to improve, great pics.

Karl.A
  • edited March 2015
    The boat looks great James, love the way the keel is completely devoid of paint
    (due to being dragged on land?) also the chips on the paint on the sides.

It's one thing to get a great chipped paint effect, its another thing to think about why and where it would be chipped and then put them in the right place. You did both, really nice.

Karl.A
  • James, Yea...what Karl said! My thoughts as well...love how the paint looks worn off rather than roughly chipped as opposed to Bryan's need to have rougher chipped/scratched paint on the barrels.

Bryan, Yea...what Karl said! Great job, and love the subtile green and red coloring. The last picture of the green one...pull that little round "blob" at the bottom of the scratch out a little...hey, if you're taking it to the next level, which you have, you're asking for picky, picky...:) well done.
  • Thanks Karl.

Yes Ken I am looking for picky, picky. As you say, I'm looking to take it to the next level. I try to look at the photos with a nit picky eye. It's good to see that others see the same things I am looking to improve.
  • Bryan,

I would suggest you Google for pictures of old drums. You will find that most of the images you see are not anything like what we have been doing. The top gets most rust, the raised edges are rusted next with fewer on the sides. Rarely the rust goes through the drum on the sides. Also, used drums mostly have their plug missing.

Like you I have been it what look neat, rather than reality. Ithats the great thing about the hobby.

Marty
  • the boat: my thinking exactly - chipped paint etc. isn;t the right thing- more like scrapped or worn off - I sprayed the boat dark brown then the light colour and when dry very carefully sanded key areas down to the brown paint in the "direction of travel"- I went too far on the keel and the resin shows but this isn't a big deal.

drums: good discussion all. If one has metal castings of drums it's easier. There's an unfinished yellow one which shows in the posts here on March 2 and Feb 15th- I painted it first, then sanded down the rims and edges to the metal, added some scrapes, then blackened the whole detail. from here I can add rust on the top. There is one drawback. When I'm back home maybe I'll post a close-up to show the issue.
    One can always drill out the plug- I've tried this on both side and top spouts.
  • After a quick google search of oil drums I saw several things. The drums age and weather in an infinite number of ways due to many reasons.
    There are so many variations and examples that pretty much every situation is easy to find.

The first pic below alone shows a tremendous variation in the different drums and how they have weathered. Some tops are rusted, some are not. Some ridges are rusted, some are not. Some are slightly chipped and scratched with rust streaks, some are completely rusted all over. Some have the plugs in place, some do not. etc etc... And that's just the first pic. I also added some others with varying effects.

We are so lucky these days to have such a wealth of examples at our fingertips to research and look at.

As a side note the majority of the empty drums have the plug in place. All of the empty drums I have ever seen on jobsites or fascilities have had the plug in place. Storing, moving and even re-using an old oil drum is a whole lot easier if it isn't filled with rain water.

Karl.A
  • I think with so many variations of the humble drum it's hard to say what can happen and what can't. I found that after I dusted with powder and set it I lost my streaks. On to the next experiment.

I've added the workbench and am cluttering the area up around it.

James had a great idea of adding the shelves and wall clutter while the walls were flat on the table. For me I need to have the hassle of hanging while upright because I just need to visualize the work area.

• Brian those are awesome details - love wrench rack, paint can, posters etc. bench turned out really nice. And the little green bottles too. I want to add another can or two plus some more junk in mine. I love this corner in this kit.

Great drum photos - amazing how much variety of colour there is not only in paint but rust- every drum is different. What is it about a rusty 55 gallon drum that makes our skin tingle? Only someone in this hobby would understand.
  • here's a tiny bit more work- added ridge cap and some extra AI streaks. Haven't added smoke jack yet- I guess I'd better walk the talk if I'm going to add a light in that stove.
  • This is all so impressive . . .

John
  • thanks John!
    you know, I do really like this group build thing. Keeps me motivated to keep up. I really want to do more right now but, dagnabit!, have to go back up to the ski cabin this weekend (keep rock's in the free world I say!)
  • you know Brian, your repair guy is more organized with his tools it seems, but he may have a problem with drinking at work...
  • Yes James, apparently he's a drunk OCD type.

I still have tons of details to add and will be back to this soon. I've been cleaning up the track on the layout, some guys are coming over next weekend to run trains.
  • I am working on the first layer of details. After the bigger items are added I will add a finer layer of dirt to soften the rocky appearance and to "set" the items into the ground a little. It also has an added benefit of making everything dusty. After that I'll go to the smaller details, then greenery, then the final details.

I'm going with Brett's description of this as a small machine shop displaced by a larger one. It will be located in the shadow of the larger machine shop and the owners of this one may feel a little angry about the intruders. With this in mind they kept the fence, there should be plenty of "no trespassing" signs, maybe some remnants of barbed wire, and this nice little lock on the gate.imageimageimageimageimage
  • Bryan, these are times that I wished I was building in O scale. Great work and so realistic. Phil
  • Beautiful details Bryan, the lock and chain is perfect....Joe CCCModOn30
  • Echee wah wah! That is pefect Bryan (I think I've been calling you Brian). The lock and gate are out of this world. I've been out of the loop for a couple weeks (work and spring break/ kids and snowboarding and all). I love the idea of a small shop displaced by a bigger one. Sort of poignant if you know what I mean. It's all a part of the story telling. Again-the gate. I love it. I look forward to this detail. Also the rope and paint cans of course. Belt on the old drive assembly looks perfect too. Spot on!!
  • might as well add my two cents worth- haven't been able to do do much (I actually took some of the machine shop kits up to the ski cabin to work on- my wife thought i was made but I actually did manage to squeak some time in). The rest of the country is buried in snow but unfortunately it's like hawaii here on the coast- not good really! Here's a couple very recent minor things. Decided to do a bit of finishing on the tractors:
    I added a bit of gloss clear coat to represent a bit of fresh fuel- probably should have been thinned a bit ala Chuck Doan:
    Here's the boats with saw horses now:
    here's the barrel I was mentioning earlier. My only issue is that when painting a light colour, when one starts to weather the detail, the upper side of the rims tend to stay more "pristine"- I'm sure this can be addressed by washes and so forth but always looks a bit "not right" to me.

• yes I broke the steering wheel off the one tractor - 5 steps forward, two steps back - i think that's about the right ratio for these things….
  • and yes the crank on one of the tractors isn't finished. So many little things to take care of….
  • edited March 2015
    It will depend on where the drums are stored,,,if outside....rain water may run over the rims and "wash" away some of the dirt and grime...( a chance to create streaks)...inside....that'
    s where the junk will first settle....
  • thanks- yes i should say that drum isn't finished- by the time I get finished it will be rusted up real good - at least on the top.
  • edited March 2015
    Some insight. A little bit of history. A lot of story telling.

When developing the O Scale BlueSky kit an enormous amount of consideration by Brett
    was given to keeping the original storyline, but in more detail.

The shed.... Obviously in O scale much more modeling detail was required, and
    delivered.

Some background stories.....

The tractor was originally used to pull the smaller boats up out of the water and onto shore for storage and maintenance. The larger side of the shed was used to store the tractor and to perform regular maintenance on it and other items, hence the benches and small , cluttered work area.

A small machine shop in the smaller section was perfect with the few essential machines, however a drive system was not feasible with a steam engine/boiler.
    Hence the electric motor and abandoned drive was developed. Awesome modeling
    opportunities, a viable storyline and the opportunity to expand the scenario.

So, the story which evolved and is portrayed throughout the shed is.....
    the shed was a small maintenance and repair area for the boats, the tractor and
    any other small machinery used.
    When Mr Shelby sold out and moved to his new premises the boat area was neglected, the machinery fell into disrepair and the belt system and electric motor were abandoned
    due to the new machine shop nearby which took care of all their requirements.

This story, and background was put in place 20 years ago with the original HO
    Bluesky kit, hence the faded "Shelby's" lettering on the warehouse wall, which led to
    the infamous HO Shelbys kit. The story can be read in the original HO Bluesky and Shelbys manuals.

Brett puts an incredible amount of thought into not only the physical kits themselves, but also
    the back story, the reason for being and the viability of every aspect.

Karl.A
  • Thanks all for the comments.

James, those tractors are going to look right at home. The rod arms on the front axle are a nice touch
  • yes tractors were fun but I'm glass they are almost done - I complicated things by adding do-dads and such.

When one knows the back story, one then understands why there are boats in the scene!