visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Logging Camp Essentials Build

Comments

• Marty, streaking rust stains on the tank #1 update is really well done. Great pic of the real tank in it's natural habitat!
  • edited August 2014
    DJ, I’m getting the Fuel Depot details done, but it will be a long while before it goes into a dio.

John, you have great friends on this forum and tons of photos and captions that you can start with. Doing is learning in this hobby as well you know.

Byran, What I had done is use the Winston & Newton water mixable oil watered (with Windex) down and then dabbed, waited 30 seconds and then using a small clean brush dipped into Alcohol, took most of it off and then did the streaking. Seems to work. I even did the same with water (Windex).

Wes, thanks, it’s an iterative effort.

Karl, thanks for the screw jack tip. I keep experimenting and finding new ways to add texture and dimension.

Dave, thanks. I was happy to see how it turned out.

I proceeded to work finishing off the casting, installing valve assemblies, building stands and some final touches. (I will left you discovered what else I did to the tank castings.)

Tank #1

Tank #2

Oil Tank #1

Oil Tank #2 (not too happy with this one – yet.)image

I guess I plod along completing al the little details that will be fill the future diorama with interest. (If anyone is following along, I'm on Page 74)

Until next time.

Marty
  • wonderful...
  • Well the tanks looking great so far, good work :)

DJ
  • some worker spilled some oil on your tanks. They look great
  • Keep up the fantastic work, Marty. You are just full of inspiration.

Dave
  • Brett, DJ and Dave, I'm glad you liked the tanks.

Here are a few more details that make the Logging Essentials kit special.

Empty Cable Reels.

Ladders.

Passenger Station Benches.

I have now completed the details section of the construction manual (Pg. 76) and now have to decide on my track plan and how all the Sierra West kits will fit together. Somehow I have to make this kit, The Shipyard, Foss Landing and the Twin Mills all tie seamless together in a integrated logging and harbour scene. My mind is spinning around in circles. Suggestions would be welcome.

Until next time.

Marty
  • Nice I really like the ladders, tedious job I think.

I hope tedious is the right expression I'm not sure, I'm dutch forgive me

DJ
  • Yep, tedious is the right word. Marty, you have done masterful work on all the above items. They all are quite tastefully done.

Dave
  • Marty, beautiful - keep the pictures and comments coming please . . .
    Respectfully,
    John
  • I have a simple question...What are these "things" in the photograph?

I've have just been painting them some colours that look pleasing, but real don't know what they are and what they are used for in.

Can someone help?

Marty

• jacks - moving logs - think about a jack for your car with a crank
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks. Now i know how to treat them. Marty

(PS found reference photo. http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/12747/using-timber-jacks)
  • awesome pic! thanks Marty
  • I really like the walls - maybe it's the photos but they look different than allot of other builds - these really have a nice bleached quality.
  • James, the intention was for them to be slightly bleached. The story is they re-sided (or re-painted) the passenger station a few years ago to accommodate the tourist trade and Train for the National Park/Camp Ground.

Marty
  • Marty, I continue to be impressed at the sheer volume of work you turn out!
    John
  • Hi Marty
    I am new to building these great kits and nearly finished The Shipyard watching Paul's build. I was wondering which chalks you eventually used although I see you used a stain of your own making.
    I tried to find your facebook page but failed. I followed (More detailed photo and pictures can be found at https://www.facebook.com/MKRailway/photos_albums)
    Michael Pearce Blacks Beach North Queensland Australia
  • edited September 2014
    Michael, please show us your work. I am new at this and working through the Shipyard. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate seeing your work. This is a great group of folks, kind and generous with input.
    Respectfully,
    John Maguire
    Seattle
  • Michael,

Which structure are you referring to? There are many and each was different.

Marty
  • It's been a while since I had a chance to do some more on the Essentials kit. I've added some finishing touches to the Tool Shed to make it ready.

The front view gets tons of details.

The right side gets enough to make it interesting.

Marty
  • Marty,
    Really nice. I love your detailing . . .
    John
  • Thanks for your comments John.

I've added now details to the passenger station and have attached a few pics for your enjoyment.

I've added some details and passengers and dock workers to the back side of the Passenger Station. It's a very busy station handling freight and people on two tracks.

The office end gets a few more details.

The front side get the same treatment of adding details and people. I use Prieser unpainted fugures and painted them "all by myself". LOL

The shed gets some details to help the viewer stay engaged.

I think the passenger station is mostly done.

Marty
  • The tool shed has a very nice aged appearance with the gaps in the boards and the peeling paint and faded tarpaper. The details match the "used" look of the structure. It seems just a tad cluttered in front of the doors. I'd think they would have moved the bigger items back so the doors opened properly and any clutter in front of the doors would be smaller stuff left lying around by lazy workers.

The station looks well built and maintained. The figures add a busy feel to the setting. Some of the figures look like they came as pre-painted and the finish has a slight shine to it. You did a better job painting your details than the factory did in painting the figures. Have you considered painting them yourself? I think you could enhance their look.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks for your comments Byran, they were helpful.

The toolshed leftside door has rusted hinges and is nailed shut. The right door keeps closing so it has to be held open with a box.

Yea, the "Ojaste Figure Painting" factory workers are new on the job and are still learning how to paint Preiser figures. They are nervous and their hands shake painting the one micron details. I wish I could get painters that did not need a learning curve. HO figures are excessively expensive and getting superb ones cost a kings ransom. I wish there was a definitive tutorial and/or YouTube video on how to do it from the sprue to painting an excellent figure, but I could not find one. (The staff did watch tons of War Gamers videos, but their 1:72 figures are so much better than the Preiser figures.)

More weathering to do and harmonize colours still to come, when I get into the mood.

Marty

• Marty. I would suggest you check a couple of the military guys websites. They do some phenomenal work on their figures. Most are 1/35, but im sure the techniques will work in 1/87 too.
  • Wes, did look at many of them.

The one that I found the most informative was who painted Neapolitan army figures. The 1/35 scale figures are so large compared to the 1/87 figures that while much of the methods apply, doing it in the smaller scale is not noticable. The overall process is to prime, base coat, shadows and then highlighting. I did that, or tried to, but there so much I my hands and eyes could handle and do you really see it? In person, you can, but does not show in the photos. I have some photos of just the figures i will post later.

Marty
  • If you Google "painting HO scale figures" you should come across a number of interesting items that will provide you with examples and suggestions. I was particularly amused by the first YouTube that popped up; anyone who says its just us old farts sticking with the hobby should see this!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=painting+ho+scale+figures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
  • Mike,

I saw that video in my journey through the Internet. He still has good eyes and the desire, I only have one of them. I will go through the list, but a first glance most of them I have watched a few times already. At one point I said to myself, yes I talk to myself, "...self its time to paint."

On a side note, I used to renovate houses and I hated the "3P's"; plumbing, plastering and oainting. These were the tasks the customers got to see progress in a job and for some reason I just could not do it good enough, so I contracted it out. I tried to do the same thing with my daughter, who had painted N-scale people for her layout. She flatly refused and quickly left the room. Maybe I should have just bought the painted Preiser people, it would have only cost me ~$200. LOL.

YouTube here I come...

Marty
  • Marty, nice to see you back at the bench. I have not tried doing anything with the LPs. I admire those that do and pull it off. Great job on a great SWSM kit.