visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Logging Camp Essentials Build

edited May 2014 in HO Scale Builds
It's time to settle down and get to building the Sierra West Scale Models Logging Camp Essentials kit that has been sitting on the shelf for way too long. Whenever, I got in the mood to crack open the box something or somebody distracted me from it. So I got out the Windex and cleaned up the modelling and painting workbenches. I sharpened my blades and pencils, chipped off the glue drops from the cutting mat and got organized; then got a cup of tea and started reading the Construction manual.

Many of the words were the same from the other construction manuals so that part was easy to read. I quickly got to a place in the manual where I needed to start making some decisions. Will the layout in the manual fit in the space I have? How do I connect it to the Shipyard and the future Twin Mills Sawmill? How do I get my harbour scene to fit into it? Should I consider HOn3? Should I use the colour palette that Brett decided on or should I have one that is consistent for all three kits? How can I make this one different from the other excellent build of Bill's and Mike's? Or is this just going to be "Another Logging Camp Essential" diorama?

So many questions and no answers as of yet.

I guess I should get started with the normal un-boxing stuff.

A lot is in the kit.

I like to inventory and sort thinks a bit too much.

Brett's planned layout, which I don't think I can use. Still undecided.

I'm a visual person, so building paper models helps.

Getting the colour palette right requires the correct stain/procedures. Here are some of the colours I am considering as part of the palette. I don’t think it will just be one selection, but a mix of most of them. That would add mild variations, texture and interest to the structures. Right now I’m leaning toward, Hunterline Rust, 704.7, 234.3, 408.3, Marty’s 24 hours and both of the So-Strong Browns. In any case Rembrandt chalks will still be used. Which ones do you think are best?

That's all for now.

Marty

Comments

• Marty, I won't make a recommendation on color as what may look good to me would not necessarily look good to you, or may not fit in with the overall scheme you have. Having said that, I am so glad you are starting this kit. I have one on order with Brett, and hope it shows up soon, even tho I'm not finished with Scotia. Anyway, I will be closely following your build in anticipation of mine arriving. I think the "paper models" are a grand idea. Never would have thought of that. Certainly will help in deciding on configuration.

Thanks for this.

Dave
  • Color is a personal preference. I think you should do the one that your eye says is right. That being said, an overall brown/gray appearance seems to be pleasing to many.

It's good to have all of the questions you have starting. You don't have to have the answers now as long as you are building the structures as a group. You can build them as a diorama and drop it into the layout where ever you want.
  • Marty,

I'm pleased to see you back with your next project. Can't wait to follow along. Lots of pictures like you always do OK.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Marty, I think you win the award for pre-build sort of kit components!
    Love the paper mock ups. I will happily follow along and watch you bring Essentials alive with your own twists.
  • Hi Marty,
    This kit is fun to build. It is gigantic. It is interesting to see that you had the same questions I had when I started it. I decided after asking Mike Engler what to do with all the components built since I had a bigger plan in mind and decided to due small vignettes with each building so they are done and I can place them how I think they might work the best. Use the colors you like. I don't usually comment on colors since the colors look different in person under certain lighting conditions and on the computer screen. Looking forward to seeing you put this kit together.

Jim
  • Dave, you will like this kit, simple, yet complex.

Brett, it must be my 30 years as a Project Manager coming to the front. LOL

Bryan/Jim, I think I have answered most of my questions for now.

The scenario (railway) is based on a late 1960's - early 1970's in Late May/Early June.(i.e. 26 May 1973) By that time logging was no longer a labour intensive activity, machinery did most of the work. As skilled workers transition from Logging camps to personal trailers or homes, there was less need to have a logging camp. This Logging camp was originally created/moved here in the late 1940's and they logged the area until late 1950's. The area was logged out and lumbering quotes were enforced by forest service. It could no longer support the workers and the work could be done by fewer people with machinery. The logging company moved to a new area. Roads and trucks replaced the horse and most of the needs for the railway. The logging camp was no longer needed and left abandoned. So the structures in the buildings have "aged" for 15-20 years with no use. However, the Passenger Station is still bring hikers and campers into the woods, so it is still maintained. The Cookhouse serves as a snack bar and some other structures like General Store, etc will be added to support the campers. There will be an old mine, now closed, added to the diorama when available. These area is the start of a vacation/tourist area and industry have left the buildings.

Here are a few pictures of the progress,

The colour palette of the diorama.

What Bag 5 (building siding) now looks like.

The "raw" colour of the passenger station. (My own red stain from previous work.)

All the staining is now done.

I now begin on Bunk House 1.

(More detailed photo and pictures can be found at https://www.facebook.com/MKRailway/photos_albums)

Regards,
    Marty
  • Marty, great update. Your attention to detail is awesome. This is going to be some kinda build. Really looking forward to more. Thanks.

Dave
  • edited May 2014
    Right on, Marty. I LOVE Essentials. This kit is great on a bunch of different levels. What I really like is the diversity of building types/styles. That variety will hold your interest while kicking your skills up a notch at the same time. You can carve out at least 3 individual mini scenes (the bunks, the fuel depot, and the station) and make them fit naturally into whatever final scene you envision.

If I remember correctly, Brett saves the best for last: the passenger station! Still one of my favorite SW structures. I won't give away all the surprises but trust me, you'll enjoy building it.

Looking forward to your build.
    Have fun!
  • Marty, beautiful . . . please keep up with the project management detailing purposes.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Nice colours on the wood Marty.
  • Thanks for the comments.

Here is a few snaps of what I did over the last week.

The walls being built.

Yes, it's green.

(More detailed photo and pictures can be found at https://www.facebook.com/MKRailway/photos_albums)

Marty
  • Marty, very detailed work. Thanks for this explicit tutorial.

Dave
  • Looks good Marty

• Dave, Wes, thanks for the kind comments.

Bunk House 1 is now as complete as it is going to be until I get to making the diorama.

On to Bunk House 2

Marty
  • I like it.
  • Thanks for the comment Alan.

Here is a couple snapshots of the Bunk House 2 build.

The end walls,

The strip wood for Front and back walls were glued using 3M 77 adhesive. I like using it, less mess, no warping and fast.

All the walls completed.

The main structure is completed, now onto the roofs.

Marty
  • Sure looks old to me!

Dave
  • It looks like the aged not in current use colouring you wanted!
  • edited May 2014
    Here is the finished bunkhouse 2

marty

• Things are looking great. Look forward to more.

Dave
  • Look great, well used.
  • edited May 2014
    And the next structure (shower/Latrine) is complete. Nothing special about the build, other than it was done quicker then the others.

marty

• Marty, this is fantastic. I can't believe how fast you move. I need to pay attention!

It is looking great.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Hi John, I just can't leave anything half-done.

Here are a few pics of the completed Cookhouse.

View from the front.

View from the back

How the diorama is shaping up so far.

marty

• Marty, I am really enjoying this build. You are definitely a quicker builder than I am. Your SBS is very informative and I, for one, thank you. Carry on with the good work. Nice rebound on the "missing" window sash.

Dave
  • I really like the colour variation on the buildings.
  • Marty, I am really impressed. Your boarded cookhouse window is ingenious!

Please keep the photos coming . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • edited June 2014
    Dave/Alan/John, you have fuelled me on.

Speaking on fuelling, here is where I have gotten so far on the depot.

Yippee! its different from the previous four building. Sorry to say its clapboard though.

But this will save the day!

Especially when I do this,

And this,

Then into this,

To get this. It's better and more fun to build then clapboard.

(Brett, sorry, I didn't follow the instructions, yet.)

Regards,

Marty

• Absolutely wonderful!!!
  • Marty, very instructional, very unique, and an idea that has inspiration. Thanks. Your links to your facebook page are quite helpful.

Dave