visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Logging Camp Essentials Build

Comments

• Thanks for looking in and commenting Alan and Dave.

I managed to get a little modelling time in today.

The roof glue had dried/cured.

Roofing decision has been made. Can you guess what I choose?

No automation here, just lots of shearing and cutting.

Gives you a pile of shakes.

Then 3M 77 Adhesive, steady hands and patience leads to this,

I just need to repeat it three more times.

Regards,

Marty

(More detailed photo and pictures can be found at https://www.facebook.com/MKRailway/photos_albums)
  • Marty, you recover well from disasters. Very good work, and things are looking nice. Anxious to see how everything looks after weathering.

Dave
  • Hi Marty,
    The walls look great very nicely faded. The shingles look great really great idea using the
    cedar wraps.
    Jim
  • Marty, great! I really appreciate the amount of photography that you do. It increases then depth of understanding what you are doing.

John
  • Thanks for the comments Dave, Jim and John.

Maybe someone can answer me a question...

I've just finished the Dock for the Fuel Depot and I could not find a reason for it being there. It's not close to any track and there is no road to it. There are drums on it but no means on how they got up there or where they. They are too heavy to lift by hand and there is no crane/derrick to lift them.

Then why us that dock there?

Confused?

Marty
  • sometimes you just design something to please yourself... the dock looks good, adds interest, and was easy to build. When everything you do comes under scrutiny you gotta say screw it sometimes Marty!!!!!!
  • I like the cedar wrap product. I'm going to have to try that.
  • Thanks Brett. I thought I was going crazy.

Marty
  • Marty, I appreciate you including the picture showing how you colored the cedar wrap before cutting the shakes. It's an interesting method with excellent results and I really admire your patience.
  • Bryan/Brian, take a look here http://www.scalemodelplans.com/smp/tutorials/shake_roof.html to get a step-by-step for cedar shaking(sp)!

Marty
  • It's been a week since I last uploaded some photographs on the build of the Fuel Depot. I had a "modelling/life" balancing act to perform. So much rain the lawn needs mowing twice a week and the weeds; lets not talk about the weeds, they are everywhere! I did manage to get some modelling done when it was raining, but ended up spending most on my down time recovering from all the gardening. Glad that is over for a short while.

I managed to complete the shaking of the roof sides.

Ridge caps were for the most part pre-assembled and glued into place.

Lead flashing for the barrel platform

Fuel Depot porch was done

The extended dock was completed

Front left side view

Front right side view

I still have the fence to complete, then I'm off to the next structure.

Regards,

Marty

(More detailed photo and pictures can be found at https://www.facebook.com/MKRailway/photos_albums)
  • Marty, Great progress and looking very good. I appreciate the detailed photographs to follow along and use for future reference.

Thank you very much for the link to the shake roof tutorial. That site also has some other very useful tutorials so I have it bookmarked. Now so long as I remember that I have the information "somewhere" and it doesn't get lost among all the other "useful site" bookmarks I'll be able to access it when I need to!
  • Marty, I also want to thank you for the shake tutorial link. I also have it bookmarked. Thanks again for all your detailed photos. I really enjoy them. Like the work you've done. Keep it up, and keep the pics coming.

Dave
  • Yea, I thought the tutorial was great and helped me make the decision to use cedar shakes on the Fuel Depot.

Speaking of the Fuel Depot, it's as done as done gets until I finish the track plan for that part of the layout. Hopeful, this will be sometime before the fall. I have three more structures in the Essentials Kit to complete; Rigging Shed, Tool Shed and Passenger Station. Then I have a Gold Mine structure (defunct) and a small run-down sawmill to complete. With those done, I can ask the investor for the stamp of approval on the track plan and begin the building of the Twin Mills sawmill. (Sorry Karl, the O Scale sawmill is not on the books for at least two years, if ever.)

So here are some parting shots for the Fuel Depot fence construction.

The "magical" peeling paint technique, I will use this again sometime in the future.

The complete fence,

Final mock-up until detailing and castings.

Marty

• Marty, it is looking great. Your roof shakes are very creative. Thanks for the detailing.

John
  • Marty, awesome! Superb work.

Dave
  • edited June 2014
    Dave and John thanks for the nice comments.

Well the Rigging Shed is as complete as the construction manual says it should be. No magic to it other than being a bit delicate.

Here is the basic wall framework,

And the a wall from the inside look cool,

With all walls done,

Final mock-up. The roof panels get glued in place later in the manual.

Marty

• edited June 2014
    Well I'm on the home stretch in the structure building part of the Essentials Kit. The Tool Shed was more fun to build than I expected. I took my time with this build and tried to do it by the book.

Do you think I was knotty enough?

The walls initially looked like this. I didn't think this was Brett wanted me to do.

The Tool Shed has a platform to live on which I thought was neat and enhanced the structure.

I played with the colours of the walls and eventually came up with this front view,

And a back view of the tool shed.

I now move onto the Passenger Station. I can hardly wait to find out what surprises it will bring.

Marty
  • love the tool shed!
  • edited June 2014
    Hi I'm back.

Brett I'm glad you loved it - it's a cute kit to build.

I'm now building the Passenger Station. It is a great structure and should be a standalone kit because it looks simple, but has complexity that would keep any craftsman interested.

The wood colouring is warm and inviting,

The horizontal boards add great interest,

The window and door colours are different and use a neat black liner effect,

I've constructed most of the walls, except the main door, more about that later.

If you want to look at the detailed steps, visit,

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1633519853539808.1073741878.1406375389587590&type=1&l=2e0469e137

Regards,
    Marty
  • Marty, I love the honey coloring of the strip wood. This structure is certainly in contrast to rest of the buildings. Bravo!

Dave
  • Great work Marty, and you amaze me at your productivity! Tool Shed is great and has a special meaning for me as it was my very first SWSM build. The variety of structure components and finish makes Essentials a top shelf kit for sure. Can't wait to see more.
    Ken
  • Beautiful Marty. You doing this kit justice for sure.
  • Marty,

Wow, looking great and I am amazed at your rate of progress. How much time do you spend getting so much done?

I am essentially on the road for awhile and my work has become dormant.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Ken, I loved doing the tool shed. My first SWSM kit was the line side shed, thats where I learned a lot.

Wes, thanks for the compliment. It's so easy to do good given the construction manual.

John, on average I work on the models 1-2 hours a day, but there are spurts of 4 hours when I am excited. Waiting for paint or glue to dry slows me down. I do multiplex between different steps doing the next step(s) that are independent. I still manage to take care of a garden, drive my wife to/from the subway each day, shuttle my daughters when needed, cook all meals, administrate a Facebook Group (Growing and Showing Dahlias), try to keep my photography active and look for a job. There is still time to take a nap each afternoon and watch the tube and YouTube. And I'm supposed to be retired. LOL

Marty
  • Marty, do you get any sleep in there, other than your occasional nap?

Dave
  • Dave, I do try to get 6-8 hours at night, but the most I ever get is 2-4 hours at a time. There is a rumor that Henry Ford only sleep 5 minutes each hour. When I had a fulltime job, I slept during con -calls and staff meetings; so I've banked a lot of hours.

Opps, time for my nap!

Marty
  • Marty, I can definitely identify with the 2-4 hrs.at a time. They tell me it's old age. And I'm only 68. What will it be when I do get old? lol

Dave
  • It's been too hot to work outside.

What a great excuse to work on the Passenger Station. My progress is slowing as the construction manual is getting to add more details to the Passenger Station. Details translates into lots of small fiddly parts, for me it means increased use of epoxy and longer wait/curing times before going to the next step. Also, the verbiage in the construction steps are great condensed as it is a repeat of what I've done many times before. Words like "...build two identical docks using strip wood from bag x..." can take a few days to complete. Yet, applying strip wood to a large wall is a few hours.

Ok, that is my excuse for not posting more progress as I have done before.

The front door is an interesting part of the build,

Gluing the walls together is always fun,

What's even more fun is building the docks,

The front is beginning to look like a real building,

The rear is not too bad also,

The freight porch is done,

Next is to build the baggage shed on the other end of the building,

Marty
  • Nice progress and more than I will ever make ;) I like your knotholes and the light tint on this building in contrast with the red doors

DJ