visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My First Foundry

Comments

• Thanks everyone for the comments. Work continues....have slowly started to work around the diorama adding the details. I've completed the first 2.5. The transfer dock with the AWESOME wheel casting, the tempering area and the bar stock rack. Hoping to finish the office porch over the weekend. As always, feel free to call out anything that jumps out and needs correcting.

IMG_2350

IMG_2351

IMG_2375

IMG_2452
  • Very nice craftsmanship. Everything looks great!
  • Nicely done Travis! Love that last shot...nice and well worn with great scene composition. Pipe rack, stacked crates, wheel barrow...great stuff!
  • Nice work on the accumulating clutter and grime. The scene is really taking shape.
  • Looking good! Really like the detail work.
  • Outstanding, really captured the "feel" so well.
  • Travis, Very nicely constructed, weathered, and staged. I know how much work that you have put into this kit. Great job, Keep going. Randy
  • Thanks everyone. Really good to hear from you all and greatly appreciate the feedback.
  • Travis great work on the colouring and weathering. The atmosphere you are creating is perfect for this building
  • Excellent job on this Travis!!
  • Great color and feel of the 'ensemble'.. Well done !
  • Radio silence for a while but have been making progress. Any of you that have built this one (or I assume, any SRSM kit) know that their is A LOT in the box when it comes to castings and smaller sub assemblies. Pics below as I work around the final scenes. Hoping to finish up by Thanksgiving and I'll save the big reveal of the area beside the office and workroom with the molding boxes for the end. Much more to do!IMG_2511

The Repair Shop. Some 3d printed boots from SW that really breathe "life" into the scene.

IMG_2542

Side of the Repair Shop and that cool sign as well as the side of the Pattern Shop which has so, so much character. Need to clean up that roof line a bit...in addition to adding 10 pounds, the camera is also the great revealer of modeling whoopsies.

IMG_2575

The front of the Pattern Shop as well as the loading dock and Sand Bay. I really, really like this view. The depth of scene the layout of the buildings has created is just super cool.

IMG_2709

The front of the Office and the crane scene with assorted "new clutter." Sorry for the crummy pic...

Thanks all for looking and for the continued support!
  • WOW! Awesome job! Really like how you have weathered and detailed each structure.
  • Love the progress...looks great....I'm waiting on the next installment of the O scale to keep working on mine...
  • Excellent work Travis! Really coming along great.
  • Looks like a Wild West town great work. .........
  • Hey thanks all. Appreciate the support.

Ken that ivy stuff you told me about is on its way. Currently at The Hague in the Netherlands! Assuming it’s on trial for war crimes.
  • Wonderful work Travis, such a great job on everything.
    The colouring and weathering on everything is beautiful.
    Construction is superb.
  • edited November 2023
    Side note: I also took pics of a dio of mine on the stove top once and inadvertently knocked on one of the rings while rotating it for pictures.
    Be careful with your great work, I set mine on fire !!! haha.

(luckily it was one of the few times I used a wood base so the flames didnt cause too much damage, a foam base would have been a major disaster... )
  • Karl.A said:

Side note: I also took pics of a dio of mine on the stove top once and inadvertently knocked on one of the rings while rotating it for pictures.
    Be careful with your great work, I set mine on fire !!! haha.

(luckily it was one of the few times I used a wood base so the flames didnt cause too much damage, a foam base would have been a major disaster... )

Thanks for the kind words Karl and the tip! Luckily I just put it up there because he lighting was a bit better (I live in a small apartment so you gotta do what you gotta do.) Now you’re going to have me checking the burners all the time like my grandmother!
  • You can be proud of this one Travis. Very well done.
  • If I had a stove in my dio workshop, I’d never have to stop modeling!
  • Great job Travis. Really love the front of the office, outstanding little scene!
  • Grandmothers know best!! A beautiful job. The coloring and details right on outstanding work.

Jerry
  • The weathering all around gives a well-used feel.
  • Brian, to use a Meatloaf lyric, You took the words right out of my mouth... Nice work Travis !!
  • Thank you all for your comments and checking in. What fun this has been! Why, oh why did I wait so long to dive in?!? The Foundry is "done." I'll spend a few more days contemplating, removing stray dog hair, etc and will post some final pics.

Wanted to post a pic of the manual after I closed it for one of the last times. Getting chalk, alcohol (rubbing and maybe a few drops of beer-- helps make painting the castings go faster) and paint all over it does sometimes feel like flipping through the Bible with Cheeto dust on your fingers but, in the end, I've always felt these kits were meant to be built. And part of that process is looking back at the manual a million times!

More to come soon.

IMG_3056
  • A well thumbed manual is a recipe ingredient to success!
  • Your foundry looks great Travis.
  • Presented below are the "final for now" pics of my take on the Brass and Iron Foundry. This looks like the only day for the next month that we will have any sun so I ran outside to take these.

Wanted to thank everyone who checked in and especially those that have commented. What a great little community we have here.

On a personal note, I never in my wildest dreams thought that I could model even close to this level. When I first encountered the forum, I was completely blown away by what I saw here. It was the finest scale modeling I had ever seen. Credit goes to Brett for his amazing designs and instructions and for supporting this forum as well as to all the folks that spend the time to post and share their inspiring talent.

Of course there are still many things I think I can improve upon. Was not super happy with the road and may adjust once I get O'Neills built and married to the Foundry. Same goes for the track-- that will be installed later on once I get more comfortable with hand-laying. I'd also like to improve some of my casting work and weathering. As always any criticism, tips, hints are appreciated and welcomed.

Next up, I plan to build the full Logging Camp Diorama (was finally able to track down an Essentials Kit all the way from Australia) and will start a new thread. Word on the street is Santa is bringing me an Ultimation Sander for Christmas and think that will help me with the finer work.

(Note all figures are from Modelu, crudely painted by the author. The truck seen in a few photos is the 3D printed one from SWSM )

IMG_3114

IMG_3115

IMG_3125

IMG_3124