visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My First Foundry

Comments

• Nice work on the stone. I agree the coloring of stones with chalk is a great improvement over painting the stones.
  • Nice stonework. Good variety of colors without any being overpowering.
  • I have to agree with Bryan and Tom. The stone work is top notch. Well done.
  • How can one not agree with the above !!!. Nice work !
  • Thanks everyone again for all the support as I work through the kit. I've added the windows and doors to the foundry and workroom and those photos are below. Wanted to note that, even though I take all these pics in my kitchen, I am not a hermit or agoraphobe. My landlady lives downstairs and she has two of the meanest ankle-biter dogs I've ever met just running around outside so I'm terrified of bringing these downstairs for pics. Don't want to drop the model if they attack. Will get some photos outside once these start getting secured to the base.

IMG_2054

IMG_2055

Foundry and workroom. These windows were so easy to work with and come out looking amazing every time if you take your time. Thinking i'll still fuss and tweak some of the stonework colors once the foundry is down. Handling the walls can really do a number on the subtler colors of chalk.

IMG_2057
    IMG_2058

Backside and sand bay detail. Really happy with how Sand Bay turned out. So much fun to model and everything fit together like a glove. Such great engineering all through this kit.

Working on the office this week. My first encounter with board on board clapboard but seems to be going well so far.

Thanks as always for checking in. Any constructive criticism is always welcome and appreciated.
  • Beautiful work Travis! Windows and sand bay details look great. Well done.
  • Outstanding job, loving this build Travis.
  • Hey, thanks Ken and Brett! Really appreciate you both commenting.
  • You deserve the call outs for sure Travis!
  • Looking really good....I can't wait for the rest of the O scale Foundry to be ready...
  • edited August 2023
    Looking great Travis, wonderful work so far.

Work in progress back grounds are unimportant, we are all looking at your model, not your kitchen.
    Keep on...
  • Morning. Work continues. I've completed the Office but am still working on firming that up. My process is to put things aside and keep glancing at them for a few days to see what "sticks out" and then adjust as needed. I started working on the AWESOME Foundry roof and wanted to get opinions on the coloration. It is just staged in these photos along with the louvre sides and cores so I can still remove it. IMG_21182
  • Color is very subjective so I'd go with what strikes you as you obviously have a good eye for color and texture based on your work here.
  • I think the roof color turned out great!
  • Thanks Ken and Tom. I was worried it was a bit too brown and monotone but I’m going to press on. Once all the vents are on there, it may all comet together. Plus I’ll get some smudges and prints on that roof I’m sure so touch up will be in order.
  • Now you're talking!
  • Stone work looks great Travis and at this point the begining of the roof is a good starting place for when the other items are added (such as the cupola/stacks etc) and you can start weathering things in place.
  • Nice stonework coloring. And I like the roof coloring also. Your doing a fine job all around.

Jerry
  • Roof looks right, color is so hard to evaluate like this. The tone and weathering look great. Not too monotone at all.
  • Brett, Ken, Karl, Jerry and Tom. Thanks for the comments. Really appreciate you checking in.

I've made some good progress. Finished up the Foundry, Workroom and Office up to final weathering which I plan to do once it's installed on the base. Cant't seem to keep my dirty, grubby hands off this thing. Brett's design is so awesome that I keep turning it to look at all the sides.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the completed Foundry complex.

IMG_2280

Brick chimney and workroom door. Will add much more weathering to brick chimney once the coal detailing is in place. Painted up like a dream, as have all the castings.

IMG_2282

View from the other side. There was a gap between the Office and the Workroom so I added a few shims. Most of this will be covered by the crane scene though I think.

IMG_2281

The incredibly designed Office in all her glory. So much fun to model all the signs and the recessed doorway. A little note: I have not been modeling all that long so knew that this kit would really push my skills all the way to their max and beyond. I had a lot of trouble with the office (again, not due to the kit design, just my skills) and did my best to cover any oopsies--recessed doorway was a bit wonky, had trouble squaring up the walls, etc. But in the end, think that is the whole point. Practice, realize where you need to improve and try to do better next time. I have scoured the internet since starting in the hobby and have yet to see a "savant" whose first build was as good as his most recent (at least that's what I tell myself!)

IMG_2284

Roof and all the vents and louvres. These were so easy to put together!

IMG_2279

Base ready, dirt down, castings started! Now the fun really starts. More to come soon.
  • Wonderful work Travis! SWSM kits look equally
    good from any side that’s for sure. Remember, all good modelers make mistakes…it’s how well you clean them up is what matters! Well done my friend.
  • Exemplary for your first attempt. I see absolutely nothing wrong in any of the photos. Don't be overly critical of yourself. You are building a personal masterpiece on your first try. Some of the techniques will get easier with time as well as many more yet to learn. Keep up the great work.....Rick
  • Thanks, Ken and Rick. Having a blast, don't worry! Just sharing my "journey" if you will. You see so many pics of these fantastic models, it helps to let others know that there is nothing that can't be fixed if you put your head down and work it out as best you can. Also helpful is that Brett's instructions are the best, by a country mile, in the biz.
  • Wow! Great work, especially for your first model. The photos look GREAT! Your weathering is spot on, as is the construction.
  • Hey, thanks Tom! Not my first kit, just my first SWSM one which as you know are the cream of the crop. Was looking back to your fantastic build the other day-- phenomenal job.
  • I agree with the others, TraviS. You have done a really great job!
  • The old blacksmith shop looks especially grungy. Perfect!
  • Travis just getting caught up. Wonderful job your doing on this!
    Keep up the great work.

Jerry
  • the coloring all around is fantastic
  • Excellent work all around.