visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My First Foundry

My first post on the forum so please excuse any errors or struggles with the format. Also "My First Foundry" would be a great name for Brett's first children's book if he ever wants to branch out.

I started on the JE Morton's Brass and Iron Foundry around June 1st. Summer modeling always takes a bit longer but have been making good progress.

As you can hopefully see in the photos, I kept both a copy of the manual along with Ken Karn's masterful forum build under my pillow. I tried to execute some of the "extra" techniques that Ken displayed to the best of my abilities as I find these challenges help to make me a better and more experienced modeler. Not sure how many pics I can add per post so may have to split the first three buildings up into multiple posts. Any constructive criticism or tips are greatly appreciated.

IMG_1809

The rear of the Blacksmith shop. Will try to tone down the weathering under the windows before installation. It reads a little darker than it looks in person. One of the kickplates for the doors was lost the Vacuum Monster so the left one was fashioned from scrap. I went with a Tuscan Red acrylic mixed with some umber for the wood coloring as the SW set is no longer available. It was VERY bright when applied but dulled down very nicely with some chalk and AI weathering.

Comments

• The left side. Another great door. The casting won't really be seen once the overhang is installed but I took some time with it since I enjoy painting them.

IMG_1810

And the "front". Note the roof and wall damage. The damage on the roof needs to be worked on, looks too unnatural.

IMG_1811

The right and final side with some things hanging off the wall.

IMG_1812
  • Moving along to the Repair Shop. I will try to post better pics later. These are COVERED in fuzzies and a few dog hairs. I was shooting for an ivory color but think I went too yellow. Oh well, liked the color well enough when it was all put together and this building has a lot of "stuff" on it.

IMG_1813

Front view with porch and damaged area on the porch roof. Again, need to work on this but I want to wait until it's all together to see how it looks. I have no idea how Ken made his damage look so natural but you learn by doing!

IMG_1814

Side view with that super cool sign that I weathered pretty heavily.
  • Plugging along very nicely, great job so far. The only thing I would mention is that the bottom row of shingles doesnt seem to match the rest in this last picture. Kind of looks like the entire roof has overlapping shingles but the bottom row does not. Perhaps its an optical illusion.
  • Jim M said:

Plugging along very nicely, great job so far. The only thing I would mention is that the bottom row of shingles doesnt seem to match the rest in this last picture. Kind of looks like the entire roof has overlapping shingles but the bottom row does not. Perhaps its an optical illusion.

Hey, thanks Jim! I agree on the shingles. Took these photos at an odd angle and had to play with them to get them to post but I’ll do a double check in person.
  • Travis,
    I love the rotting and weathered wood. It is something I struggle with mainly due to my OCD and being a furniture/cabinet maker where everything must be perfect.
    I have hell forcing myself to get the excellent results you are showing here.
    Well done!!
  • Travis, looks great to me. Maybe you could darken some of the edges of roof lines and the tar paper of the repair shop. But again, Great Work!
  • edited August 2023
    Great looking start so far Travis, the weathering and colouring are well done and the construction is beautifully executed.
    This is going to be a great thread to follow.
  • Travis,
    I love what you've done so far. Great grungy look.
  • Hey Travis, nicely done my friend! Love the Pattern Shop work in particular. The faded and weathered Blacksmith signage is just right, old and faded but can tell what the place used to be. Nice and grungy. Look forward to seeing things come together and will be following your work here.
  • Travis, this looks absolutely beautiful. The minor things to improve always show when you take photos of your work. I have the first parts of the Foundry in O scale so I am looking foreward to what you're gonne make of this. Great start indeed !!!
  • Definitely see the “Karns Effect”! (That’s a good thing)!
  • Nice work! The weathering is really great. I especially like the coloring on the blacksmith shop.
  • What an incredible job, love it!
  • edited August 2023
    Hey thanks all for the nice comments. Some modelers here that have been a great inspiration to me. More pics soon once the first grouping of buildings is all put together.
  • edited August 2023
    We're all here waiting for more, but, don't rush it, just do your thing.
    We're all here following along.
  • I have the initial three structures and the tempering oven glued (lightly) together and I've moved onto the foundry walls. There are some adjustments I will need to make once this building is planted and have described those I plan to make below. Since yours truly is a big clumsy oaf, I think it'll be safer this way.

IMG_1916

Way too heavy handed with the white chalk/water damage. Every time I walk past, I rub a bit off or add some straight alcohol to tone it down. I am worried about applying too much alcohol at one time as the roof paper already wants to come up. Do love the look though more subtle will be better.

IMG_1917

Pretty happy with this side. Will add some more weathering when I start to place the details. Note all the stacks are just staged at this point and being held on with a small piece of modeling clay so I can get a good idea of the sight lines. As mentioned, I am a big clumsy oaf.

IMG_1918

Reasonably happy with this side as well. Have to tighten up the edges of the roof on the Pattern Shop. The card isn't warped but I don't think I glued the edges well enough. The Tempering Oven was so much fun to weather and I love the pipe detail. Will try to get a better pic. Also in regards to the shingles on the Repair shop, I did mess up and put the "kicker" row too far back. Trying to adjust without tearing the roof up if anyone has any ideas.

IMG_1920

Again, reasonably happy with this side and will adjust weathering once the dock and details are added.

IMG_1921

Overhead shot. What a gosh-darn beautifully designed kit and not even 1/4 of the way done!
  • An Travis said "What a gosh-darn beautifully designed kit and not even 1/4 of the way done!"

And what a fine job your doing with it! Can't wait for the next post.

Jerry
  • I’m with Jerry, fine work Travis!
  • I think it looks great Travis. Keep up the fine work.
  • Nicely done! Really like the weathering on your walls
  • Superb Travis, the colour and tones on everything are so beautifully blended and subtle. The aging and weathering is strong but consistent and everything looks so good together.
    Very nicely done.
    Ham handed my butt, seems to me like you are doing just fine, and then some.
  • You are doing a fantastic job on this one !!! Glad we can see and follow your build.
  • Really nice work so far.
  • Looks like a great job on a great kit! Well done!
  • Looks great.
  • I live in Vt. and there a lot of barns that look just like that.
    great job........carl.......
  • Thanks everyone for the comments and support.

I have spent the last week or so adding the color to the walls. Seen below was the first go. I've since gone back and reworked them a bit and dulled some of the louder shades down. Working with chalk for coloring is a lot easier than paint, I've found. So much easier to go back with a little chalk or alcohol to adjust. Hoping to add the windows and put up the walls in the next week or so.

IMG_1910 2
  • Looking great so far...
  • Stone work looks terrific Travis. This is a really enjoyable part of the build. The Foundry structure is such a wonderful design and really sets the scene.
  • Stone walls look great Travis, varied but homogenized, nice work.