visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Sierra West Model

1789101113»

Comments

• Grant and Ken, I was not sure how the rockwork would turn out. That first wall just looked to stark. After a little blinding and some chalk I feel that the colors turned. I am glad you liked the walls. Thanks Bryan, I thought they add a nice touch. Something different. Karl, I am making progress. I was hoping to get it to a narrow gauge meet next Saturday. I don't think that is going to happen. Just just to much to finish. Thanks for every ones comments. Randy
  • Hi Randy,
    how do you get along? Will you finish until saturday? Can't help from here...
  • Best not to rush it Randy, I've made that mistake in the past and never been happy with it.

Take it as a work in progress to share, you have still got to a point where you have plenty of excellent work to show and share with people.
  • Randy, any updates?
  • Sorry I'm a bit late but I have to say how much I love the shingles and the lighting just brings a whole new dimension to the project.
  • Thank you Joel. I was real happy with the way they turned out. It took time up on the roof for them the weather but I think it was worth it.
    Jim thanks for looking and asking for an update. Just to let every one know I have not dropped off the face of the Earth. Lets see what I have been up to for the last six months. First I had cataract surgery, then went to the Sn3 symposium, fell and broke two ribs, But what really took the time this summer was as Kevin can attest was a new puppy.IMG_1784 (1)resized
    I was able to get back to the work bench in time to finish the water tank and handcar shed in
    time for the Denver convention. No plack this year but it was close. So here are the last build pictures.
    IMG_1812 (1)resized
    The Right end of the hand car shed
    tIMG_1811resized
    The left side of the diorama IMG_1808resized
    The back of the handcar shedIMG_1809resized
    The whole model from the front.
    IMG_1810resized
    The whole model from the back.

I want to thank every one for looking at my efforts with this great Sierra West model from Brett. I will be starting another thread soon. This one will be my Third,Fourth, and Fifth Sierra West model. I plan to combine the Rigging Shed, the Tool Shed, and the Lineside shed into one diorama.
  • nice presentation
  • Thanks Bryan, I needed to set it up that way because the back will not be seen when it is on the Rich Rand's layout. Randy
  • Randly, glad to see you back. Nice job on the dio and congratulations on the pup.
  • Nice work on the diorama. I saw it at the convention and it was very well done.
  • Jim, thanks for the compliment about the dio. The new puppy is a love. However, he and his older "brother" kicked our tails this summer but lots of fun too.
    Thanks Tom, It was a good fun build that I enjoyed. I was hoping to do better but was not expecting to win anything. Denver always has a ton of extremely well done models. This year was no different with a lot of models from Brett. Randy
  • Great detail work Randy. So much to peruse. Unique and nontraditional diorama base, is it going in a layout or as is?
  • Thanks, Ken. It was shaped to fit in and around existing scenery and structures. I used 1/4 inch hardboard. Then to keep it flat I glued 1/2 inch basswood strips onto the bottom. the basswood will be removed when the dio is put in place on the layout. Rich did not want anything thicker because at the spot on the layout where he wants the model he can not cut into the top of the layout. That is a long way of saying that the dio will go on the layout as is. We will just scenic around and blend it in so the 1/4 inch thickness will not be noticed. Randy
  • Ahh...makes sense! Well done.
  • Great diorama in an original presentation. Well done Randy !!!
  • Thank You Robert. Considering your expertise I consider your "well done" a high complement. Randy
  • Great to hear from you Randy, sounds like a crazy Summer. Super cute pup!

Love the finished dio, great work. Looking very forward to your "trio" of older kits. They look great together.
  • Thanks Brett. It has been an interesting summer. As the old curse says " may you live in in teresting times." I should have some pictures of the rigging shed walls soon. Randy