visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Sierra West Model

Comments

• edited March 2023
    Some great progress here Randy, that last shot of the roof looks fantastic, and the small newer area definitely adds a little story and even more interest. Very well done.

As for your question on the top row, yes, I always add a final shorter row in keeping with the reveal of the rest of the roof.
    Meaning, add a final row with the same reveal as the rest of the roof and then cut off the overhang flush with the ridgeline.

The reveal and overlap is what would keep it watertight IRL, it also makes the roof look much better and uniform, a long length top row of shingles always seems to make a roof look unfinished and uneven to my eye.

Although your ridge cap is very close to where the final reveal would be I would still add a final row, it will be visible in quite a few places and the uneven edge will lead nicely up to and under the ridge cap, I think it will look better IMO.

A little nugget of info:

Shingles were cut in a mill, either permanent or temporary, and therefore their lengths would all be equal due to the machinery that cuts the 'rounds' that the bolts and then the shingles were cut from.

ie: the machine would be set to cut 24"(or 18") rounds out of a log. These rounds would be split into bolts and then fed to the sawyers on the shingle cutting machines. This results in all of the shingles being exactly the same length (24"/18"), although width varies.

Shakes are cut and split by hand, the logs are cut into rounds by hand, split by hand into bolts and then the bolts are split into 'shakes' by hand.

That is why a shake roof is much more uneven (and interesting) than a shingle roof.

And, that's the difference between shakes and shingles, AFAIK
  • Thanks Karl for your complements. I am glad you think another course of shakes is called for. I was leaning in that direction. The background difference between shakes and shingles is a great addition to my knowledge. Thanks again, Randy
  • It's turning out great. I'd go with 1 more course before the ridge cap.
  • that roof looks fantastic, but it definitely needs another course of shingles. i would probably cut the the shingles to length before installing them. to me, cutting them after they've been installed invites disaster. lol
  • Bryan and Kevin, thanks for your kind words of praise and the suggestion. I have decided I will add another course of shakes before the ridge cap. Kevin I will cut the shakes shorter before installing. Cutting after installed, I feel, would result in to even of an edge. Thanks again. Randy
  • edited February 2023
    I hear you both on the 'invites disaster' scenario, and I agree its good to cut them roughly to length before applying, which I also do.
    Some straight edge clippers to finish off the ridge line is what I personally use to even things out after they are applied and dried, and then after that, the ridge cap will hide any slight remaining variations at the peak.
  • Karl I used my Ultamation slicer to break off the shorter shakes before I glued them to the peak of the roof. I also added a few more "new" shakes above the stove pipe. I think when I center the ridge covers a little more of the last course pf shakes will be more visible than this picture shows.IMG_1695resized
    Thanks for the comments and help with the shakes. Randy
  • Yeah! That looks perfect Randy!
    Like I said previously, the ridge cap is just the right length for the reveal but, that extra tiny dimension underneath really makes a difference and those uneven edges peaking out really make a big difference, even for such a small amount.
    That really looks superb and just as I thought it would. All that layering, depth and dimensionality looks just perfect.
    Very nicely done indeed. Awesome.
  • It looks good with the last course peeking out from under the ridge cap. What did you use for the ridge cap?
  • edited February 2023
    I was going to use the same metal roofing for my ridge cap....but I went with just plain paper....thickness was right...I just painted with an aged silver matte paint...dusted it with some chalk just before it totally dried....then used a standard wood glue to get it to form to the roof.... I cut it down to scale 8' lengths....
  • Roof looks very good!
  • Thanks Karl I like the results. A little more of the shakes will be exposed when the ridge cap is centered. The glue has warped the purlins up at both ends. It is under weight now. If that does not work by itself I may need to spray a little water on the roof and weight it again. Bryan, the ridge cap is left over standing seam roofing Brett included in his truck repair for the ridge cap in that kit. I cut the seams off each side and left the one in the middle at the top of the ridge. Art, You did a great job on the color on your ridge cap. Last night I cut the pieces to make the cap. I then used PC board etchant to weather and blacken them. I will rust them with chalk after they are installed. That way a little "rust" will wash down on to the shakes. Thanks Tom, I am happy with it so far. A lot of work but worth the effort. Randy
  • Last night I started shakes for the other side of the roof. I broke them off and then touched the end with gray chalk and alcohol. I set them aside to dry then wiped with a soft cloth to blend in the chalk.IMG_1696resized
    I then added the first course of shakes.IMG_1697resized
    I only did the one course because I wanted the glue to dry and set up under a weight to hopefully keep it from warping like the other side. As always comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Randy
  • I have put two more courses of shingles on the second side of the roof and will show them to you tonight. I skipped a few days of work due to cataract surgery last Thursday. Now I hope I will be able to see the mistakes I make easier. I am adding lights to the workshop. I would like your opinion as to what I should end up with. The first picture is the light I have already installed over the drill press.
    IMG_1699resized
    The Second Picture has only the overhead light about overtop of the stove.IMG_1698resized
    The last picture has both lights lit. IMG_1700resized
    Please let me know what you think. Thanks, Randy
  • The light over the drill would be used at any time of the day or night to light up the work going on at the drill....the other light could argue for the same....definitely would need it at night....the rafter mounted light looks bit bright...glaring against that back cabinet in the last photo...but not as much as the second....
  • Thanks Art for your observations. Maybe I could add a little paint to the LED to town down the brightness? Randy
  • Well on your way Randy, looks wonderful. Lighting adds a whole new dimension to a build.
  • I like way the light above the stove lights up the whole interior but agree that it would might look better just a bit higher so the doorframe blocked the bare bulb. I've installed lights without a shade before and will be doin it on this build also. I glue them to the wall facing the viewer with the light facing into the structure. It lights up the room without worrying about placing the shade.

Could these be on separate switches? That would be cool.

I feel ya on the surgery. Had that done some time ago. One eye focused close and the other far. Took me a long time to figure out depth perception. I've pondered making a magnifier visor with different strengths for each eye but never got around to it.
  • Thanks Ken for saying things look wonderful. My last SW model was the first one I used LED lights. They are working so much better than small incandescent bulbs I used before did. I plan to use four lights in and on the handcar repair shed and two maybe or three on the tank. Thanks Randy
  • Thanks Bryan. The bulb and shade were just hanging by the wires in this picture. I will raise it some more when I fix it in place to stay. While your suggestion of a light on the wall is a good one I don't feel that that would add to the realism. The other suggestion about switches is one I am definitely considering. The one eye far and the other close is not an option for me. About twenty years ago I had a detached retina. I can not see the big E on the eye chart out of my left eye. It takes me four or five tries to get those very thin wires through the metal tube I am using for a conduit. Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for your suggestions and help. Randy
  • edited March 2023
    I put the wires for the center light through a short piece of tubing and attached it to a cross piece of wood. I made the light higher so it would not show through the open door. I also painted the inside of the light shade ivory white. When painting I also painted the sides of the LED. I am pleased with the results. The picture has a warmer look then and has less glare than last one.
    IMG_1701resized
    I also took a picture of the next two courses of shakes. IMG_1702resized
    Bothe ends of the back half of the roof are warped up. The right more than the left. I soked each end with water and put them under weight. Hope this works this time. So far the front side is staying flat because I am only doing one course at a time. I then put that side of the roof under a weight until it dries. Takes longer the get the roof finished but hopefully the roof will stay flat. Thanks for looking and as always any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
  • edited March 2023
    Looks fantastic Randy.
    The now subdued lighting is perfect and shows the interior off so well.

The shingles are coming along beautifully.

From what I've learned,
    the curling/curving of the roof (and in other situations walls) is caused by the glue contracting as it cures.
    Now yes weighting it down while it dries is good practice over night and works great when building as per the manual and is the way to go.

However, I've learned that for an unsupported roof panel (or wall) the glue continues to shrink and contract over time, for at least a week or two until all moisture is expelled from the glue.

Obviously building as per the manual when we are gluing the roof down (or walls together) this is not a problem as the glued down roof is held level and prevents this.

When deviating from the manual the 'loose' roof panels need to be weighted for a longer period until all moisture has expelled from the glue.

As the glue outgasses and releases the moisture it shrinks, thus pulling the shingles/battens/boards closer together, as this is only happening on one side of the panel it causes the 'curl'.

I've found that building the 'deviated, removable' panels as early as possible in my build process and then just leaving them to one side under weights until needed later, (usually a week or two, most often a month or two, and of course with me, sometimes a year or ten) then this resolves the problem.

The panels will dry, and then cure completely by the time I'm ready to use them. After the curing and outgassing process is complete, under weight, the panels never curl again and will always remain flat.
    (Unless of course you wet them for some reason and resoften the glue, at that point weight and leave to cure again.)
  • I like both lights. The general overhead light and the task light over the drill. The final fix on the overhead light is very good.
  • TomMich said:

I like both lights. The general overhead light and the task light over the drill. The final fix on the overhead light is very good.

i agree. you fixed it and it's perfect. the light over the drill press is a great touch too.

• Raising the light makes it so a viewer is not staring at the bulb through the door but can still see the shade. Very nice.
  • Karl, Thanks for the information and advise. I am taking my time on the rest of the shakes. I went back and epoxied the perlans to the ridge board. This made a little dip at the ends but I thing it looks better with the dip than it bowed up so much as it was. Here is the fourth course of shakes.IMG_1711resized
    I will wait another day for the glue to dry under a weight before I add another course. The other thing that I have done is to stain the rocks walls of the pump house. I went on with the artist colors I started with. They were a close match to the colors on Rich's layout as was shown in an earlier post. Here are the two side walls.IMG_1704resized
    IMG_1706resized
    I just colored them with the five artist colors I posted before. Then I dusted on some 408.5 chalk to blend the colors together. The front and back side walls had bricks to color. So first the artist paints and chalk. I then painted the bricks with a cheep red paint and allowed them to dry. I then mixed some soapy water with Poly-S aged concrete paint. Then I flowed it over the bricks to represent the moater. After that dried I freckled some of the bricks with black, brown, and white chalk and alcohol. This way not all of the bricks were the same color. IMG_1703resized
    IMG_1705resized
    The last new thing that I did was to build the little table in the breezeway. I glued the water cooler over the table. I got to thinking about and decided that the workers needed something to drink from. So I made some cups from styrene tube with a .012 wire handle. IMG_1708resized
    Thanks,Tom, Kevin, and Bryan for liking the lights. As usual all comments and suggestion are appreciated. Thanks Randy
  • That looks fabulous Randy. I particularly like the stonework.
  • The cups are a very cool addition.
  • Making good progress Randy, pulling it all together.
  • Great stone work Randy. The color tones remind me of the old quarried sandstone blocks used for buildings. Well done.