visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Sierra West Model

Comments

• Art would the workable chalk fixative be found at an art supply store? Thanks for your suggestion. Randy
  • Yes....Hobby Lobby has it...as do most most craft store....just make sure it's a chalk workable fixative....it will seal each level without discoloring....don't skimp....buy the expensive stuff...it's worth it.....and it sets up fast....
  • I actually like the color variations you got on the stone. I think a unifying wash and drybrushing to blend will finish it. Then the mortar lines.

Bands on tank are wonderful.
  • Thanks, Art for the information about the fixative. Thanks Bryan, I was rather happy with the way the bands turned out too. I will experiment around with the wall. That is why I did the back wall first. If all else fails another coat of Kilz will do the trick. Thanks again to both of you. Randy
  • The tank looks great. I love the colouring on the bands. I think the colouring is a bit too intense for the stone work. May have to wash it off and start again although toning it down with chalk or dry brushing may bring the colours down enough to work.
  • Tank turned out very nice!
  • Great advice Joel!
  • Tank details look awesome Randy! The detail on those turnbuckles is amazing.
  • Thanks Joel, Brett, Tom, and Ken. I think I will try some chalk first. If that does not work I may try some plain white spray paint and start over. Anyway, I have put that aside and have started work on making the shingles. Here is the cigar box cedar wood brushed with the wire brush that is in the picture.
    IMG_1600resized
    I then cut the sheet into strips with the grain the same width as the wood in the kit.IMG_1603resized
    I then measured the length from Brett's template and chopped enough shingles for the first layer. IMG_1601resized
    This is the side that was totally exposed to the weather. The next picture is of the back side of a few shingles. This picture does not give the true color. They are grayer than they appear. The shingle to the top is the front gray side. IMG_1602resized
    Now after I did this I got to thinking that the end of the shingle was to neet. So, I put the shingle overhanging a scrap of wood as shown at the top. Then I used the handle of a hobby knife to break off some of the end of the single. That is the results at the bottom. I am thinking about going back and cut the singles again a little longer and break off the excess. And do this with all the shingles for the entire water tank roof.IMG_1604resized
    As usual thanks for looking and any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks Randy
  • Good looking colour on those cedar sheets and good progress Randy.

I use the chopper to make the shingles... BUT...

set the length to what you require, lower the blade but DONT cut through, just enough to hold the strip in place.
    then lift up the end of the strip and snap to length to get the jagged edge.
    It takes the same time as using the chopper normally so it's just as quick but you get the nice uneven end. Win/win.

The reason to use kilz is that it is more porous and easily stainable and mimics the plaster when using thinned acrylic paint on top. Regular white spray paint won't accept the thinned paint as easily.

Looking forward to seeing more.

• Thanks Karl for the tip about the shingles. I will be sure to give that a try. About the Kilz when I use the Artis Acrylics the thinned paint beads up. I need to use a thicker layer of paint and this makes the colors much more intense than I like. I have a Tamiya white fine Surface Primer. When I used it under acrylics on some figures and some of the details on my truck repair it worked great. Thanks again for your guidance. You are always a great help. Randy
  • Karl, Here are some of the shingles on the tank following your suggestion about holding the strip down with the chopper and breaking the strip off.IMG_1606resized
  • They look really good....I didn't distress mine as much as I wanted to...may go back and fiddle with them.....Love the edges...and the tones are perfect....
  • Shingle color is great.
  • the tank looks perfect. nice work.
  • great start!
  • Shingles are looking fantastic with the coloring spot on.
  • Shingles are very nice! Like the coloring.
  • edited December 2022
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I can not take credit for the color. That is all Mother Nature. Randy
  • randyp said:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I can not take credit for the color. That is all Mother Nature. Randy

i remember when you did that experiment. how long did you leave it on your roof?
  • Kevin, the cedar was on the roof from June to just last week. That seemed to do the trick. Randy
  • I wonder what a bundle of stripwood would look like after 6 months outdoors...
  • Wet wood..........
  • edited December 2022
    randyp said:

Karl, Here are some of the shingles on the tank following your suggestion about holding the strip down with the chopper and breaking the strip off.

Looking good so far, a slightly uneven edge with some random splits and breaks. Just enough to look aged and weathered but not overly apparent so as to be cartoonish.
    Colour variation is also showing up very nicely.

• I did read once of a person doing that with stripwood for a project. He figured out how much wood he would need. Of course he came up short of the wood he needed. Murfey strikes again. Randy
  • Here is another layer of shingles. IMG_1607resizrf
  • Almost there Randy. Lots and lots of shingles.
  • Make sure you follow the template...they get thinner as they go to the top...that was my mistake...
  • Thanks Emery and Art. Yes Art I saw that and am using it now. Randy
  • Otherwise you would have ended up like me...ready to throw it out the window....I caught it in time to fix.....always read Brett's manuals...