visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Sierra West Model

Comments

• edited January 2023
    Don't borrow your wife's "blush/rouge" brush, she wont appreciate it.
    Get a cheap set from the 'Dollar Store' for about $3.99.
  • Karl, Your input and suggestions are always a great help to me. I appreciate your help with my build. Your a fantastic modeler. Randy
  • The last night or two I have been playing with a light over the hand drill press on the center wall. After running the magnet wire through a .025 inch tube I bent it to form the light bracket. I also used the same size tupe to form a conduit for the wire up the wall. I also added a piece of work on the drill press with a C-clamp to hold it in place. The shelf on the wall is new. With it's green bottle and oil bottle for lubricating the drill and work. The bottom shelf on the locker got a lunch box and a can of paint with a wire bail. The three pictures that follow are from the left, center, and right. As always any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Randy
    IMG_1651
    IMG_1650resized
    IMG_1652resized
  • Fantastic Randy.
  • edited January 2023
    That is amazing Randy - if not for the modelling mat in the background of the pictures, I would swear I was looking at the real thing!

Grant
  • Nice detail Randy.
  • Great job with the lighting. That will help highlight a great little scene.
  • Thank you Karl, Grant, and Ken I appreciate your kind words. This has been a fun project so far. I still need to add the signs and the calendar. Randy
  • excellent!!
  • That's a great idea
  • Great scene. I really like the conduit coming down the wall
  • Very nice, Randy
    Terry
  • Very kool...I like the conduit
  • Thanks Kevin, Mike, Bryan, Terry, and Art for the kind words. Rich is back in town and I should get the foor print for the structure tomorrow. Then I get a start on glueing everything down. Thanks again. Randy
  • Exciting news Randy.
  • Really nice work.
  • Thanks Joel, after following your Truck repair build I appreciate your comment. Randy
  • Nice use of task lighting over the drill
  • Randy,
    I really like the placement of Brett's great new 3D drill detail and how you have highlighted it with an illuminated overhead light. Neat, neat, neat!!!
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/256/ZUQARWPMWQHN.jpg
  • Thanks Tom and Dave. Brett suppled a very nice casting with the kit. I just wanted to be different and add a real light. I am happy you liked the results. Randy
  • edited February 2023
    You have probably noticed that I have not posted a lot lately about the buildings in the water tank and handcar shed kit. The buildings were sort of at a stand still for a time. That was because back in December I ordered from Brett another center wall and the wood to cover it. I did this because I wanted to seperate the shed and the water tank. Brett, said that it would be January before he could get that done. So, I got the new center wall frame and wood in the middle of January. Grained and stained the wood and the added the siding to the frame. IMG_1648resized
    I also added about two scale feet to the breezeway floor. Then two wing walls were scratch built to inclose the left end of the breezeway.IMG_1674resized
    One more thing needed to be done before I can lay every thing out and that is take the mocel to Rich's and set it out on his layout where he wants to instal the tank and building. Here is a picture showing the tank and building in about the the placement I am thinking of using. The end and wing wall are just set up temporarily to get a better idea of the over all effect.IMG_1662resized
    The big open door is going to be turned away from the track. That will give a better view of the details inside. My thought is that the handcar under repair will be set up between the tank and the shed.
  • The other side of the tank and building can be seen from around the corner of the layout and looking under the bridge. IMG_1663resized
    There will be some room for details between the buildings and the track but not much. Most of the detail will be in front and to the ends of the tank and shed. You may notice that the back side of the tank is stained. If you remember back a few pages I was having problems with the getting the color I liked. The only thing I have done to this coloring is to brush on a coat of 408.3 chalk. Looking at the next picture with the tank base held up against some of Rich's scenery I think will go on and finish the coloring the rest of the tank base the same way.IMG_1665resized
    The important part was that Rich liked the color so who am I to argue with the layout owner. Sorry for the two posts but I hit the wrong button on the first one. Again please feel free to comment and make suggestions. Thanks for your input and help. Randy
  • Wood walls turned out really nice! Coloring, textures and weathering are well done. I like the way you are personalizing your build.
  • Thanks Tom, I am building it for another modeler and the place he wants installed on his layout. I need to make it fit where he wants it. Thanks for your kind words about the color and texture. Randy
  • Glad you are back at it. I like the extra wall. Had considered doing that myself.
  • Thanks Bryan, Brett was very accommodating and economical when I asked him to cut the extra wall. Of course, I would expect nothing less of Brett. He is always willing to help in any way he can. Randy
  • Looking great Randy...and that's a lucky modeler!
  • Thanks Ken, Rich is a fantastic modeler. I hope he likes what I am building for him.
    Some of the following pictures may be a little out of chronological order. The first picture is the last one taken. I wanted to show the handcar repair shed with all the walls inplace glued to the floor.IMG_1675resized
    That shelf by its self is looking very lonely. I will need to dig into my stash of detail parts to keep it company. Now for a look at the inside of the workshop. First the wall with the locker.IMG_1666resized
    It looks like I need to add a little chalk to the top of the sign with the bottle. The joys of digital photos. Next is the shelves along the back wall of the shop.IMG_1667resized
    Another shot of those same shelves with the most of the right end wall showing. Now a better shot of the right end wall.IMG_1670resized
    As I have said before Rich does like his beer. Not counting the bottles in the crate or the basket on the shelf How many single beer bottles are setting around the workshop?
    I have not installed the stove yet but it is ready. I did not want the Fire Marshal and shut the workshop down as a fire hazard. So Art I put some bricks under the stove. I looked up 1/48 scale bricks on the internet. IMG_1672resized
    I got these from a site for a company in Europe. I glued the bricks to a piece of paper. Let the glue dry and the cut the paper away. It looks like it was good thing the bricks were there because a chuck of partially burnt wood laying in front of the stove.IMG_1676resized
    I tried to paint the coffey pot to represent an old blue graniteware pot. Well that about brings me up to date with my build. I am going to try to install the trusses to the ridge board tonight. I may also get a few of the perlans glued to the removeable trusses. I also need to add lights in both parts of the building and outside each end. If you have any comments or suggestions on something I could do better please feel free to let me know Thanks for looking. Randy
  • Like the looks of the stove and bricks.....nice edges on them.....the bricks look like the same ones I got...
  • It's a nice look with the walls together.