visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Hell no Kev, keep posting your great work. We're all here learning and trying to improve. Sharing is how we all motivate each other, share ideas to get better and learn from one another.

• Looks like a great gas can to me…except it has no dents in it! Gotta carve a chunk out of that thing!
  • Kev….your statement tells me you’re both humble and modest….both traits I admire in a person but your modeling work displayed here will stand up to anyone’s….
    Terry
  • i think i need to learn finesse. everything i do is so ham handed.
  • I couldn't resist trying this. The gas cans are perfect to put a label on. Here are my HO Scale gas cans
    20220515_154253

20220515_154309

20220515_154325
  • Sweet! Nice work Tom...aren’t those 3D detail parts of Brett’s just a riot to work with.
  • Is the lettering done with decals? Randy
  • They look great Tom, I especially like the one with the metal top half.
  • hard to believe that those are ho gas cans. awesome job. care to do a sbs?
  • Kevin, Tom - what awesome jobs on this simple but oh so common detail. Love it and thanks for sharing. Keep those pics coming!

This small gas can exemplifies why 3D Printed parts are so important. Never could have cast this part effectively in white metal or HPR (hand-poured resin). Also, be sure to ask Emery if he had "fun" drawing that iconic handle! Maybe don't ask him, cause it wasn't fun!
  • Great job.
  • It certainly was a challenge. Balance act of reality vs what the printer should be able to do and what it really can do. Trial and error.
  • Great little detail. Love the labels.
  • Thanks all for the comments. Ever since purchasing these 3D printed details I have wanted to put a label on the gas can. I thought it was a natural. Randy, I just made the label in a WORD doc. and printed it out on regular paper. Sanded it as thin as possible, painted the edges of the paper red and glued in on the can. Then weathered with chalk.

Thanks Emery and Brett for creating such fine details. They are fun to work with!
  • edited June 2022
    It's been a while since these masterpieces produced by Brett and SWSM have been shown, so, on Monday I got my delivery of a beautiful batch of HO scale details.

HO 001

I've had the pleasure of working on some of the O Scale parts previously, this is my first time seeing the HO details and they are just as incredible, but smaller.

Tonight was the first chance I got to examine them closely and paint them up.

I got them all prepped and primed after work today and then had to choose my first victim/attempt.

HO 002

HO 003

I decided on the HO compressor as I had just recently completed the O scale version.
    It's incredible to me that the HO version has all the exact same details that I can see as the O scale version.
    Everything is perfectly reproduced and the only difference I could see was the size... absolutely amazing and of course, being that it is SierraWest, the quality is perfect.

HO 004

HO 005

HO 006

HO 007

I'm real happy with it for my first return to HO for several years, I managed to paint in the gauge, and the brass pipe on the valve, so, I'm good with that result.
    Maybe a 'little' too rusty for a working unit, but, I also have the more modern version ready to do next which will be the replacement for this one and shown as more oily, maintained and still in use than this one.

Now I'm looking through the HO selection in front of me and deciding which one(s) to do tomorrow...

• Nice….very nice…..holy smokers!!!!!

Terry
  • edited June 2022
    Thanks Terry,
    looking at the pics after I posted I realized I missed posting this one which shows the size of these amazing parts.

HO 008

I also realized that I neglected to put the 'orange/new/rusty water' streaks on the HO version, I'll have to fix that, but it can wait until tomorrow.
  • Amazing.
  • wow, what a great little detail that is.
  • Simply Fantastic! Hard to imagine the detail and weathering in such a small part.
  • The 3D detail parts are amazing and can't wait to see what will be produced next. I have worked with some and really enjoy the detail they have.
  • For those of us that work in 1:87, the 3D parts Brett produces are a game changer make no mistake. SierraWest kits are to craftsman kit modeling as Brett's 3D parts are to other detail parts...no comparison, no compromise, and no reason not to have a drawer full!
  • Thanks Jim, Kev, Brett and Tom, great to read your replies.

Just home from work so, it's time to relax a little and then decide which ones to work on next tonight.
  • I totally agree Tom, those 3D parts are amazing. Glad to hear you've had a chance to work some up and you're right the filigree of the parts is stellar.
  • HO Scale Screw Jacks ... freaking awesome...

HO 009
    HO 010
    HO 011
  • Well it's tomorrow I want my orange/new/rusty water streaks!!

Great eye for detailing and the coloring perfect as usual.

Jerry
  • Jerry said:

Well it's tomorrow I want my orange/new/rusty water streaks!!

Great eye for detailing and the coloring perfect as usual.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry... !!!

HO 014

HO 012

Thats all I've got for you right now my friend. Sorry for the delay, haha.

• Karl. I'm surprised to see you working with HO Scale parts. Regardless of the scale the 3D parts are simply AWESOME! Can't wait to see what comes out next.
  • Wow what an incredible paint job. Just spot on. Love the dial too.
  • edited June 2022
    Thanks so much Tom, I do actually work with Brett's HO details quite more often than I realized.
    With this new incredible line of HO details I see myself working with them even more in the future.
    Great to read you Joel, thanks so much for those kind words.

Here are a few of the HO acetylene/gas bottles I just worked on tonight.
    Amazing parts ...

HO 015

HO 017