visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#301 Logging and Tractor Repair Shed (O Scale). Karl.A

Comments

• edited May 2021
    Jerry ! Thanks for the great additional tip, it makes so much sense.
    I'll be trying it the next time I use this 'variation', thanks again.
  • brownbr said:

Thanks for taking the time to outline your process. I tried the gray chalks you mentioned earlier and got a very nice shade of gray also. Would not have thought to start with such a dark gray as 704.3 as a base.

karl,
    could you expound on this?

• edited May 2021
    Certainly Kevin, sometime this weekend,
    I originally posted 704.5, not sure if Bryan had a typo, or changed it up a little by using 704.3, but I'm always happy to share how I did it.
    When I do the battens in the next few days with the same process/colors I'll post it for you.
  • Wonderful work so far, Karl. Excited to be a part of one of your build threads!
  • Great to have you along for the build/thread Craig.

It's always more motivational to have more people joining in and posting, with ideas, thoughts and questions, the odd compliment is also much appreciated.

Hopefully some progress to show later tonight on the walls.
  • edited May 2022
    Managed to finish siding all the walls last night. Hopefully I'll get them trimmed and windows cut out tonight and some more weathering.

Here you can clearly see the colour difference between the inside and outside of the walls.

• The wizard of wood!...looks great and love the color tones.
  • Karl, Are you just using the wire wheel To put the grain in the wood ? buy hand.
  • edited May 2021
    Thanks Ken, a high compliment.
    Craig the grain was indeed added with the wire wheel and plumbers brush by hand, as always.
    The siding boards on this kit are 1x12 and 1 x 10 (.020 thick) so deep, wide graining is not as easily possible as it is with 2x12 (.040 x 1/4).
    This added care and lighter touch that is needed for the thinner wood leads to a finer more intricate grain look.
    The 3” stiff wire wheel gives the deeper more pronounced grain and the plumbers brush cleans out these ‘gouges’ and adds a finer grain around the deeper ones.
    The spilt boards, cracked boards, broken boards and further detail are added individually and specifically to each board with an exacto knife as they are placed on the wall, and then glued.
    Does this answer your question?
  • Fantastic work Karl as always!!
  • Karl wood came out really nice.

Jerry
  • edited May 2021
    Thanks Chris and Jerry !
  • Some fine looking walls you've got there !! That was a ( another) great kit to build for me ...
  • Very cool, Karl!
    Is that wire brush replacing your grill brush in this instance?
  • edited May 2021
    Thanks Robert, Bryan and Craig.
    I pretty much always use the wire wheel Craig, it's stiff and severe and quick, after that I'll use a variation of the other brushes, depending on the final look I want.
  • Walls are great! Really like all the splits, cracks, checks, and voids in the boards. Just the right amount of deterioration.
  • Fantastic, Wizard of Wood... Hah, true!
  • Or maybe we should just call him Merlin!
  • Karl, this is a very enlightening on additional steps that we can take to get that weathered look on board on board construction. Thanks
  • Thanks so much guys, just the basic techniques from the manuals...
    coupled with a personal touch and my own feel I guess, but, straight out of the 'book'.

(I'm gonna stick with 'Fabricator', I like that, although 'Wizard of Wood' is a high compliment I'll proudly embrace as a secondary 'nom de plume'.) haha
  • Karl, yes you answered my question....I have another are you using tooth picks for your knots i used them one time and when i stained my wood the knots turned out to Dark are you using the same kind of wood as your boards for your knots? ..........I'll have to see what a plumbers brush looks like.
  • edited May 2021
    From the previous page...Plumbers brush top left, found in welding or plumbing aisle, used for cleaning off the burrs on cut pipes before connecting, there are two sizes that I've seen.
    Yes the knots are tooth picks, I thought that was shown in the previous pic's, I'll go back and check... It's also described in the manuals.

End grain stains/weathers/ages darker than face grain, much more absorbent, look at a fence, or siding, knots are usually darker.
    Put in "knotty fence" to google and look at 'images'...

001a
  • Actually that pic of the plumbers brush above does show the toothpicks top right and the 'points' i've already cut from them mid right.
  • I picked up a couple 4" round brushes similar to those you are showing Karl. I chuck them up in my drill press and slowed to 600rpm. They work great just sliding the board along it as it rotates. The course one digs a bit deep, so very little pressure is needed. I found it much safer to just use the finer one.
  • edited May 2021
    I checked, and the one shown (my favorite) is actually only 2"...
    I tried chucking them up in my drill press many years ago Emery for tree trunks or dowels for pilings, and that works ok.
    For something as delicate as .020 strip wood for siding I'm gonna keep doing it by hand lol... much more control, accuracy for specifics.
  • Everyone has a favorite brush technique. I found that controlling the plumber and wheel brush to be awkward for me and never tried using a power tool. I found a very stiff steel brush (Hobart 770108) and a softer steel brush shaped like a toothbrush to be more comfortable.
  • edited May 2021
    Oh I agree. I am just using that method for bridge ties and trestle bents. (close to 1000 ties to do) It would be way too hard on real small strip wood.
  • Ok I didn't know that was a plumbers brush as I don't have any plumbers experience. I did see the toothpicks as I mentioned in my other post .....mine turned out to dark to my eyes when I stained them and seen yours were not that dark. As far as graining the wood I have a bunch of different metal file brushes and soft brass brushes but never used a small wire wheel but I do have a few.
  • edited May 2021
    Karl has graciously outlined in some detail how he grains and ages his scale lumber as have Bryan, Ken and Brett among others here on the forum. All are great tutorials.
    Below you will find a photo of a few of my go to tools for graining scale lumber.

Graining Tools For Scale Lumber 2.resize

Tools L to R:
    3/4" brush for cleaning inside of copper fittings prior to soldering/sweating copper (Home Depot/ Plumbing)
    1/2" brush for cleaning inside of copper fittings prior to soldering/sweating copper (Home Depot/ Plumbing)
    Tool for cleaning your wood files and rasps. It has a rather aggressive set to the very fine stiff steel wire teeth. (I found this tool at my local Ace Hdw. and use it regularly when I am doing woodworking projects that require clean files and rasps. I find it extremely affective because of its aggressive stance for graining the scale lumber we use in our projects.)
    Brass brush found in the plumbing section at Home Depot along with steel wire brushes.

Hope this helps you find more useful tools.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ