visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Blue Sky Company with a twist

Comments

• Hi guys, it's been a while but I got a lot done. I told you I would give this build a serious twist, so, here's an example. I rebuild the cookhouse completely.

I hollowed the massive chunk of resin. Never understood why it couldn't be casted otherwise. Saves on resin... :wink:

I made the rear wall in cardboard.
    The door hinges came out of the wall and left the door hanging by a few screws....
    Vines took over the plastering..

I am not gonna place it against the back wall of the barn, but it will be a free standing edifice. Totally abandoned and dilapidated .The reason for this is that a tree fell on it some time ago . They cut the tree for the fireplace but didn't rebuild the cookhouse.

What you see is a little diorama that will be placed and integrated in the ' Big Picture'
    That , you will see later. So more 'greens', scenery to come..

DSCN5198

DSCN5202

DSCN5203

DSCN5204

DSCN5205

DSCN5207

DSCN5199

:smiley: ....
  • Love the vine especially. The whole effect is fantastic......Rick
  • Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Incredible job
  • Robert,

An artist's eye for certain. Maybe even an "old world" artist's eye might be a more apt description. You definitely see things with a different eye than most modelers. It is uncanny and very refreshing to say the least how you take the mundane and add it to the scene making it look like the real thing. I can only speak for myself I guess, but I might see this sort of thing but not even consider trying to add it to the scene. Breathtaking realism! You just made my day.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Such beautiful modeling Robert, you capture the European, especially French feel so perfectly.

Yes, there really is a difference, and having lived in both 'worlds' I can appreciate the differences in (real world) construction, appearance, weathering, nature and general appearance.

Australian modelers have their style, based on their environment, as do the European, the British, the western American and the NE American, oh, and the South African.

When I see your modeling I'm instantly transported to memories of driving through the countryside in France, the brick, the plaster, the stone walls and the scenery/nature just invokes that feeling. (Through out your models).
    The quality of your modeling captures perfectly my distant memories and feelings of my experiences. Your modeling realism is an easy step from your pictures to my past travels.

Then of course is your skill, talent and ability to 'adjust' a kit based in an American reality and see through the initial components and make them your own.

Real artistry and vision, beautiful.
  • Fantastic!
  • what karl said
  • Double ditto! Wow!!
  • Awesome Robert!
  • Terrific work!
  • Anxious to see how this will fit in to the rest of BlueSky...wonderful extreme weathering.
  • Wow, what a great little scene. Now I'm itching to see the rest of the build. Fantastic work all round.
  • The Stairway to...

For those who have build this, they will notice that I changed the orientation of the first part of the stairs. Fits better in my future diorama that way.

DSCN5213

DSCN5214

DSCN5215

DSCN5216

DSCN5217

soon more... :wink:

• Best looking stairs I have ever seen! Beautifully done...
  • Beautiful job.
  • The precision of the construction and perfect coloring are incredible.....Rick
  • Your weathering skill is amazing Robert!
  • take me under your wing big guy and teach me everything you know......
  • Really!....I would buy tickets to attend a Robert tells all session...lol
  • Thanks guys.. SW forum members have free admission...:smiley:

The first thing that came into my thoughts when I started the BSC kit, was that I would do something with the Blue of the BSC. That seemed the logical thing. Why would an enterprise be called Blue if there wasn't a reference to that color in it.

As the observant one will have noticed, I changed the cardboard roof parts included in the kit into boards. So the parts that overhang are seen as boards instead of cardboard. Also these boards shine through the tarpaper as well and make the old roof more interesting.
    These roofs can be taken of if work on the lights needs to be done.

Anyways... here are some photos of progress. Of course more detail comes later..

I have to do something about that shiny piece of the upper hinge. Thanks photo.... :smile:

DSCN5221

DSCN5218

DSCN5222

DSCN5219

DSCN5220

DSCN5223

DSCN5224

:blush:
  • The faded blue is quite good. The bare wood might be even better.
  • it almost looks like the bluegrass green of the oneill's trim (and nortons fish camp :)).
  • Outstanding wood work...perfect tone of blue and an equally nifty idea to use that color.
  • Great wood colors and textures. Nice weathering.
  • That bare wood? The epitome of excellence!
  • Nice coloring.....the stairs are great
  • Fantastic work Robert! I love your unique style and interpretation of this kit.
  • I love the incredibly believable knotty pine look....Rick
  • Robert, the staircase is beautifully finished and built, as is the knotted siding.

Which technique did you use for the knots Robert?

As always your coloring has so much depth, tone, texture, warmth and realism.