visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Blue Sky Company with a twist

edited February 2021 in O Scale Builds
Ok guys, after some contemplating about what to choose for the next project, I decided to attack the Blue Sky Company kit.

Now, for this one I had to do some serious thinking, that is, it looks like I can never just open the box( of any kit) and just do as the manual tells me to. Which is perfectly fine by the way. But Robert.G wouldn't be himself if he wasn't gonna modify the kit in question.

So first, I always find it hard to leave the builds closed. The outsides are always so great, the insides, the laser cut walls, also, but nobody ever gets to see them, so as with previous builds, I decided to open this one also. BUT.... that has some serious consequences.. If you want people to look inside, there have to be some interesting things to expect. In this case, what did I plan to do...

First, and let it be well understood, the kit as is is just great, I only want to make it my personal version of it. Hence the twist...

So, to begin with, I changed the loading dock doors to two big sliding ones. So the opening will be much wider and more of the inside can be seen. The doors are not completely opened, so one can see the door construction from the back when peeping inside..
That means that a floor needs to be installed. No problem.. :)

I also lowered the first floor opening in the wall. Usually this opening is on the same level as the floor of the first floor. Which is also the ceiling of the ground floor. Makes sense, because otherwise heavy goods lifted with the pulley need to go higher, pulled inside and lowered again. Same when stuff needs to go out that way. Research was done on the internet. pics on request.. :) btw, the door on the side wall is also on that level...

I also made an opening at the back , where the cookhouse would be installed. That will get another location. I figured all those goods can't go in and out just through the original smaller doors, on a relatively narrow loading dock.
But as the floor of the ground floor is at the same level as the loading dock, higher than the outside ground level, I will install a ramp leading to the back entrance.

I also chose a silver gray-isch kind of weathering this time

As you can see, I don't make it easy on myself, but it's a challenge. An adventure.. And this is only the beginning...

Oh my God.. Now this is posted, no way back.. :)

DSCN5184 kopie

DSCN5185 kopie

DSCN5186 kopie

soon more...

Comments

• Great start! Awaiting your next installment.
  • Forgot to say, for those not familiair with the BSC, this is a very big kit. With many sub-kits inside. Multiple buildings, tractor, machinery etc. NICE KIT....highly recommended..
  • That looks fantastic Robert! I love the wood color and as usual it has your unique feel already.
  • Robert,

Off to your usual intriguing start. I like how you show the nailing pattern of the interior cross bracing pieces in the single sliding door, subtle but very effective.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/439/6LVQGHMIOATB.jpg
    I am also noticing nail heads in the structure siding, something I don't recall spotting in your previous builds.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • This is going to be great. Love the start. Brett loves it when we change things up....Rick
  • Hope so Rick, no way back now......
  • Well Robert, I still have this one to build. So I will be watching.
  • Cannot wait to see where you go with this! Absolutely love the siding coloration, weathering, and application.
  • The coloring of the wood looks great...this looks like it will be a great build.
  • The rust has a great texture to it.
  • Now that is some seriously good looking color on that siding...anxiously awaiting your next posting
    Terry
  • buckling in for this one.....
  • Robert, I love your imagination. What a great start!! I'll be following as well. Phil
  • You're off to a great start!
  • Really looking forward to what you do with this one Robert, your style and creativity is already showing, cant wait to see more.
  • Do you mind if I ask what is the trick to the variation in coloration in each board? What paint/stain are you using?
  • [waiting for this question to be answered]
  • Very excited about following along Robert. Love the colouring on the siding and the nail head detail. Great start.
  • Beautiful coloring!

Jerry
  • I'm also going to follow you. Great start Robert.

Greetings.
    JM
  • I put in the floor as I explained before. Posts and beams for the flooring of the second floor. I had to stop before it's closed and I can't put in any details and castings. Also have to install lights before I finish the floor.

Here's also some progress on the walls of the second building. I changed the door which I found it to low when putting a 1/48 figure in front of it. Couldn't go under or enter without hitting the head. ..Final weathering later on...

DSCN5189

DSCN5190

DSCN5191

DSCN5194

DSCN5195

soon more... well, not that soon.. :wink:
  • Wood looks excellent as always Robert! I love the door and handle.
  • Outstanding Robert I think you have the idea of how things should look. .........Carl........
  • You are a master of wood for sure......Rick
  • insert superlatives here _____________________
  • edited March 2021
    Fantastic
  • Outstanding work.....
  • Fantastic colouring and texture on the wood as always.
  • Your woodwork looks like the real thing. Wonderful!! Phil
  • Love the floor! Great job on the wood!